Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 F-350 Project 1 Ton Jumping Tow Truck

Old 11-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Elder User
Busa 1 Dave is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by TXSD6.2 View Post

Basically - "Hater's gonna hate" ... Keep on doing what makes you happy. I'm looking forward to the finished truck pics and the eventual jump video... And don't worry about Busa Dave ... He just ripped ripped his exhaust pipe off backing into a solid object that his backup sensors were doing their best to warn him about...

Well not really just turned the angled tip back about .75 of an inch. Getting the Magna Flow exhaust put on Monday. Good excuse to get the ugly Ford pipe off the back.

My trucks, Jeeps are only modified so that I can do what I need to do and they look better imho. Even if I am fortunate to have the funds to build whatever I want to on cars or trucks however, it is not something that I have ever understood to tear up something on purpose albeit a truck, Jeep, tractor or dozer. To each his own because you may spend your money as you see fit period but still does not change my opinion in the matter. I am sure there are Many others who feel this way but will not post just because of the flack they will get because of it. In my case it does not bother me as my situation has Everything to do with NOT going out to find a place to try and tear it up--quite the opposite in fact, because if it breaks I have to fix it before it does the job I need it to do.

Been to a couple of Raptor Runs that people came to from all around the country held at a Motor Sports Facility about 100 miles west of DFW. Took mine out and actually had RPG do modifications so that 37's would function during travel and not tear out the front fender well also had 5 leaf progressive Deavers made for the Raptor on the rear. Did not run mine in the "race" but did watch 3 people buckle the frames at a crumple zone cut out when "jumping". Ford did in the later few years of the first generation strengthen that area and aftermarket did with kits as well but those were some sad guys especially when they had to drive 1200 miles back. Few had to go home on a trailer after a wreck but they Did Have Fun....

To the OP----one thing you have sadly not mentioned is the 5 the tire and wheel you will need. I carry tire repair kits, high volume air pumps (2 one spare 27 miles to a gas station for me) and a Pro Eagle Jack mounted in the front of the bed. Right behind it is an identical tire and wheel that bolts with a conversion kit down to the 5th wheel prepped area. Mine has a rolling cover so it will not get stolen along with other equipment I have to carry. More than once have damaged a tire beyond repair this way just remove the pin in the mount remove the jack, roll the jack under the truck, have impact wrench to take off the wheel, remove the tire mount it and am on my way. Takes longer to get everything back in the bed than it does to change the tire. Think about this because your spare and jack that came with the truck are useless as well as the factory lug nuts most likely are on your new wheels. Been doing this stuff for many years.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:18 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
shaneinga is starting off with a positive reputation.

Get tired of talking about yourself Dave?

Go get your own thread man.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Section179
Elder User
Section179 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Also Dave.... youíre presuming because heís going to jump it heís going to be a tool on YouTube going 200 feet and destroying the truck. I think itís clear from his comments heís experienced and not going into this to break anything.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Elder User
Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post

Get tired of talking about yourself Dave?

Go get your own thread man.
Well some of us do not drive mall crawlers. Going in the desert is not like going to Starbucks. Just explaining my perspective which he asked about in my post above. The tire and wheel thing is something he needs to think about especially if there are not people around with the right equipment.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:56 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
shaneinga is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't remember seeing anyone asking for your advice Dave. Further more, I highly doubt anyone is going to be willing to take advice from an A hole who just a couple threads back insulted them.

This is the last thing I am posting in this thread as to not hijack it any further, but you sir, are a dick.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Elder User
Originally Posted by Section179 View Post
Also Dave.... youíre presuming because heís going to jump it heís going to be a tool on YouTube going 200 feet and destroying the truck. I think itís clear from his comments heís experienced and not going into this to break anything.
Possibly that was not made clear lol. He is doing much of the correct prep work.

Also to the OP-----do not know on the new HD series but feel under the rear fender well to make sure there is not a weld seam that will cut the tire when it goes into full or past travel. The Raptors 1st gen had one and it did damage. With the bigger tires even with stops and new springs it may hit in the worst case.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Elder User
I don't remember seeing anyone asking for your advice Dave. Further more, I highly doubt anyone is going to be willing to take advice from an A hole who just a couple threads back insulted them.

This is the last thing I am posting in this thread as to not hijack it any further, but you sir, are a dick.
LOL go powder coat some wheels! Not PVD but Powder Coat. Have a nice day..

Old 11-10-2018, 11:30 AM
acelefty
Junior User
acelefty is starting off with a positive reputation.
How wide are your tires and what is the offset on the Method wheels? I want to go with Method wheels (in 18x9) but I am concerned about the +18 offset. I wanted to be closer to 0 or maybe +12 offset but those look good and I am wondering if they are also +18. Thanks for the info and pictures.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:06 AM
benhoopes
Junior User
benhoopes is starting off with a positive reputation.

I may have forgotten to mention that one of the reasons I was building this truck was to haul dirt bikes around Utah. Today I went with some buddies and hit the Devils Racetrack located in the San Rafael Swell. We entered the riding area from Ferron Utah. Luckily the pavement ended just outside of Ferron and there was about 15 miles of nice dirt road where I could take off the traction control and try my hardest to spool the turbo and drift a couple turns.

This was my maiden voyage off the pavement. Sorry no jumping videos yet. We had three dirt bikes in the back and even with a bunch of tie downs i didn’t want them banging into each other. There were some good G-Outs and washboard areas where the KING shocks really shined. The Deavers in the rear were butter on the dirt road. Provided just a little body roll but still responsive.

On the freeway I could definitely tell I had 37’s on the front. No noticeable shake in the steering wheel but once it got up to or around 85+ I could tell they weren’t perfectly balanced.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:10 AM
benhoopes
Junior User
Originally Posted by TXKR0317 View Post
BENHOOPES, out of curiosity, would doing the Raptor steering wheel mod to your Limited provide any benefit to desert flying or driveability? Can't wait to see the jump video ..... great build... have fun!!!
I am done with having this truck in the shop. Paddle shifters would be super fun. But even on the Raptor I think the tranny is smarter than I am and can pick proper gears faster than I can.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:13 AM
benhoopes
Junior User
Originally Posted by Section179 View Post
Although I havenít posted Iíve been following your thread. There are some grumpy guys on here that know everything and if you do anything other than them youíre dumb. Ignore.

I think the truck is coming coming along great and will be awesome.

Bummer on the tire. I wouldnít sweat a good quality plug job on a tire this size particularly with the work youíre doing to balance already.

One comment for food for thought: could just be the angle of the picture but with how nicely youíve opened up the front end and with the lift on the front, it looks to me like you could benefit from pushing the front axle forward a little bit. Have you considered adjustable 3-link radius arms? Iím about to buy a set myself.

If you scroll down to thread 11 I think tricon gave a nice view of two options here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...li-or-pmf.html

I have thought about adjustable Radius Arms but after todayís little adventure I think that Carli has this system dialed. I didnít get any rubbing anywhere so I am pretty sure I will leave it where it is for now. But I will check out that thread you sent the link for.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:27 AM
benhoopes
Junior User
Originally Posted by acelefty View Post
How wide are your tires and what is the offset on the Method wheels? I want to go with Method wheels (in 18x9) but I am concerned about the +18 offset. I wanted to be closer to 0 or maybe +12 offset but those look good and I am wondering if they are also +18. Thanks for the info and pictures.
My tires are 12.5 inches wide. And the offset on the wheels is 0 with 4.75Ē of backspacing. The wheels are 17 inches tall by 8.5 inches wide.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:29 AM
benhoopes
Junior User
Sweet truck. I wouldn't worry about what Busa Dave has to say. His momma obviously didn't raise him right.

Can't wait to see the jump vids.
thanks for the love. When I was out in the desert today I was looking for a jump but couldnít see anything with correct angles to try and get the beast off the ground.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:43 AM
coolidge54
Senior User
coolidge54 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't see a Weigh Safe drop hitch so its not complete. But seriously, Method wheels. I was shopping wheels recently and liked the Method's but they are not hub centric. Any concerns about rough housing that heavy diesel front end while resting on the lug nut studs?

Old 11-11-2018, 12:36 PM
benhoopes
Junior User

Originally Posted by coolidge54 View Post
I don't see a Weigh Safe drop hitch so its not complete. But seriously, Method wheels. I was shopping wheels recently and liked the Method's but they are not hub centric. Any concerns about rough housing that heavy diesel front end while resting on the lug nut studs?
look closer and u will see the Weigh Safe. They are a local company founded by a great man that I am happy to support and promote to everyone. I wonít tow without it.

I havent given much concern to the wheels not being hubcentric. They have a load rating greater than my tires so I am confident they will hold up to my uses. But thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.