2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2019 F-350 Project 1 Ton Jumping Tow Truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 02:40 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry no jumping videos yet. This is just a progress pic of some of the vinyl going onto the chrome exterior pieces.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:42 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
Still need to get the chrome lettering tinted and get the radar detector hard mounted. Cannot take road without my Valentine 1. Also need to put an extension on the front camera so it can be relocated down into the front skid plate on the bumper so it isn’t blacked out and distorted on the 360 degree display in the cab.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:11 PM
ymsmiley
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coming along nicely!

BTW, if your shop hasn't already done so, there's a good chance you'll need to pack all bushings with marine grade white lithium grease. My Deavers were quiet for about 4-5 weeks then started squeaking like a son of a gun. They packed the bushings but the squeak came back, so had them grease in between the leaves too. Quiet as a mouse now

Originally Posted by benhoopes

KINGS ride super nice. But what really makes the kit awesome are the rear Deaver springs. I have about 20 miles driven on terrible freeway roads with no shudder or anything noticeable yet. I didn’t get a printout of the alignment so I don’t know where it ended up. He is a good friend and said he only had to make a couple adjustments after the install and then all was alligned well. Sorry I cannot give any more details on that front. It drives awesome though at all speeds.

Havent jumped it yet. Wasted too much time trying to reprogram the TPMS to make it out to the desert.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:54 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ymsmiley
Coming along nicely!

BTW, if your shop hasn't already done so, there's a good chance you'll need to pack all bushings with marine grade white lithium grease. My Deavers were quiet for about 4-5 weeks then started squeaking like a son of a gun. They packed the bushings but the squeak came back, so had them grease in between the leaves too. Quiet as a mouse now
thanks for the heads up on the grease. I will look into that.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:57 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass

​​​don’t even have 50 miles on these tires and was unlucky enough to pick up a long screw.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:15 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
I thought the Caliper would clearance the weights over time. But figured while I was at the tire patching the screw might as well rebalance the wheels where the weights were rubbing on the calipers.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:45 PM
ShadowGrey
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks like a whole lotta weights in one spot. They might want to break it down again and turn the tire a bit. Sometimes that makes a big difference. You could also try balance beads. I had them on my Jeep with 37s and it worked great...as long as you don't need any more than about 12 oz of weight....

Old 11-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I will go ahead and say it..... Some people have more money than sense...

Old 11-09-2018, 08:01 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ShadowGrey
That looks like a whole lotta weights in one spot. They might want to break it down again and turn the tire a bit. Sometimes that makes a big difference. You could also try balance beads. I had them on my Jeep with 37s and it worked great...as long as you don't need any more than about 12 oz of weight....
I had them do just that with the tire (180 degree) spin of the wheel inside the tire and it came out to just under 2 ounces less than what it was originally asking for. I have never tried the balance beads. I will look into those. It is caling for 7 ounces once spun. So well under the 12 ounce threshold you are calling out.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:02 PM
benhoopes
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
Well I will go ahead and say it..... Some people have more money than sense...
Now I don't get offended easily but what are you implying here. I work hard so I can buy nice stuff. I also like to tweak things so they work really well for me. Are you saying I don't have any sense?

Old 11-09-2018, 08:11 PM
KJYoung6.7L
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I don't get offended easily but what are you implying here. I work hard so I can buy nice stuff. I also like to tweak things so they work really well for me. Are you saying I don't have any sense?
I think what he’s saying is not many people buy $90K trucks and then spend thousands more instantly and try to jump them or do whatever. Hey to each their own, 99% of us won’t come close to what you are doing, but I enjoy watching.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:48 PM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhoopes Now I don't get offended easily but what are you implying here. I work hard so I can buy nice stuff. I also like to tweak things so they work really well for me. Are you saying I don't have any sense?
I think what he’s saying is not many people buy $90K trucks and then spend thousands more instantly and try to jump them or do whatever. Hey to each their own, 99% of us won’t come close to what you are doing, but I enjoy watching.
Basically - "Hater's gonna hate" ... Keep on doing what makes you happy. I'm looking forward to the finished truck pics and the eventual jump video... And don't worry about Busa Dave ... He just ripped ripped his exhaust pipe off backing into a solid object that his backup sensors were doing their best to warn him about...

Old 11-10-2018, 05:10 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet truck. I wouldn't worry about what Busa Dave has to say. His momma obviously didn't raise him right.

Can't wait to see the jump vids.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:04 AM
TXKR0317
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
BENHOOPES, out of curiosity, would doing the Raptor steering wheel mod to your Limited provide any benefit to desert flying or driveability? Can't wait to see the jump video ..... great build... have fun!!!

Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts
Although I haven’t posted I’ve been following your thread. There are some grumpy guys on here that know everything and if you do anything other than them you’re dumb. Ignore.

I think the truck is coming coming along great and will be awesome.

Bummer on the tire. I wouldn’t sweat a good quality plug job on a tire this size particularly with the work you’re doing to balance already.

One comment for food for thought: could just be the angle of the picture but with how nicely you’ve opened up the front end and with the lift on the front, it looks to me like you could benefit from pushing the front axle forward a little bit. Have you considered adjustable 3-link radius arms? I’m about to buy a set myself.

If you scroll down to thread 11 I think tricon gave a nice view of two options here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...li-or-pmf.html

Quick Reply: 2019 F-350 Project 1 Ton Jumping Tow Truck