Headlight types 1999 E 150 Econoline - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Headlight types 1999 E 150 Econoline

Old 11-04-2018, 11:21 PM
turbogus
Elder User
turbogus is starting off with a positive reputation.
Headlight types 1999 E 150 Econoline

I've noticed two different types of headlights of images online, are the two interchangeable?

Old 11-04-2018, 11:30 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
98Econoline150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is the low series sealed beam or the high series or aerodynamic headlights which are halogens.

No they are not interchangeable, not without changing the wiring harnesss and possibly the header panel.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:39 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
The sealed beam and aerodynamic housings will fit on the same header panel---its the bezels that are affected. Beginning 2008 I believe the headlights changed altogether sine the fenders and hood changed quite a bit from years previous.

For myself I don't like the aerodynamic types as they're too prone to discoloration and "clouding" that over time reduces their effectiveness. If opting for the cheaper after market types that degradation is quick, depending on your climate you'd get two or three years use before they would need replacing once again/

Since sealed beams are easily replaced and tend to remain effective over most of their life.

All this is just my opinion and completely subjective mind you.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:30 AM
98Econoline150
Senior User
98Econoline150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck had the original aerodynamic headlamps for the past 20 years, they arenít clouded yet. I had to replace one only because the locking tab to hold it in place had an issue where it would let the lamp jiggle inside the header panel.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:57 AM
turbogus
Elder User
The reason for my question is in looking at a '98 and a '99 today for purchase. The latter having the composite aerodynamic headlights that I have experience with in this region and they cloud over easily rendering them virtually useless for safety.
If they are upgradable to the conventional 5 x 7 with the bezel I've seen on CarID and elsewhere then I will have no concern. Mind you, we're talking here about 1998 and 1999.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:01 AM
turbogus
Elder User
....also, whenever possible I use Hella Vision + headlamps with Flosser H4 bulbs. 5 x7 inches.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:09 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 98Econoline150 View Post
My truck had the original aerodynamic headlamps for the past 20 years, they arenít clouded yet.
If you compared them to newer versions you'd find they are cloudy---nothing on any street driven vehicle lasts 20 years without showing it.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Teutonics
Senior User
Teutonics is starting off with a positive reputation.
One tip if your headlamp is cloudy but has glass lenses or isn't clouded on the outside surface is to rinse the inside with a vinegar and water solution. You can also use a stiff artist's paint brush to reach in through the bulb socket to "scrub" and dislodge any surface grime/film.

Some plastic lenses will cloud over on the outside due to UV damage (especially non-vertical surfaces) but can be polished out with many available aftermarket lens polishes. There are also UV surface protectants available to reapply to the surface after polishing.

I haven't noticed any clouding on my 2006... I did clean them with vinegar/water when I upgraded the bulbs.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:51 PM
maples01
Postmaster
maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
My 99 hasn't clouded, I'm starting to wonder if it's the waxes that people put on them that damages the protective coating, I've not got anything but soap on mine, even my clear markers I added 15 years ago are undamaged by the sun.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:24 PM
turbogus
Elder User
What with the red cinder they use in Oregon it's no small wonder why plastic lens get scarified.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:17 PM
turbogus
Elder User
Removing the composite headlights it became apparent that there is a shell behind a sealed beam that the sealed beam (ie Hella Vision +) have a shell between the back of the sb and the header panel.
If I have time tomorrow I'll hit the boneyard and see what I can find. Once I figure this out, ill post a how to.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:10 PM
maples01
Postmaster
maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.maples01 has a good reputation on FTE.
There are LED seal beams available, where simply adding an LED bulb in the composite isn't the answer as they do not reflect/refract the same as incandescent, I know HID just blinds oncoming drivers, it wont direct down to the road.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:55 PM
turbogus
Elder User
The trouble I have with LEDs I learned last winter.
since LEDs burn cool, snow and ice up on the lens of them rendering their light output severely hampered.
It is for this reason I prefer the Flosser halogens...
or other of the hot burning halogens.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:57 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Teutonics View Post
One tip if your headlamp is cloudy but has glass lenses or isn't clouded on the outside surface is to rinse the inside with a vinegar and water solution. You can also use a stiff artist's paint brush to reach in through the bulb socket to "scrub" and dislodge any surface grime/film.
The discoloration of composite headlight housings from the inside is something I've noticed for quite a while. Often the inner surfaces develop a haze as a direct result of the heat acting upon the plastic material. I've not seen too many successful cleaning products or processes that either work at all or last too long before needing another treatment.

There's really not any sort of protective coating on the composite lenses. Besides UV damage harsh cleaning solutions in automated car washes or DIY products can accelerate the degradation of the lenses; road grime doesn't help either. Lenses that are "polished" are clear for a while but as you've removed some material its only a short time before they become cloudy once again.

Its tough finding a good headlight these days---we're a bit more particular these days than 50 years ago.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:22 PM
maples01
Postmaster
I did like how my 90 Caprice had glass housings, instead of plastic, I wish manufactures used less plastic in automobiles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.