Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Reman V10 install by Dealer

Old 11-04-2018, 10:43 AM
b6fischer
Freshman User
b6fischer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford Reman V10 install by Dealer

I am having a Ford Factory reman v10 installed in 2 weeks by a our Ford dealership (I work for the Auto group). Trans was rebuilt by a quality shop last year. Over 210K on a 1997 Ford E350 Chinook Concourse Motor Home.

Will install:
- new alternator
- starter
- stainless exhaust manifold bolts

What else should I consider while the engine is out? Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by b6fischer View Post
I am having a Ford Factory reman v10 installed in 2 weeks by a our Ford dealership (I work for the Auto group). Trans was rebuilt by a quality shop last year. Over 210K on a 1997 Ford E350 Chinook Concourse Motor Home.

Will install:
- new alternator
- starter
- stainless exhaust manifold bolts

What else should I consider while the engine is out? Thanks in advance for your input.
many people here would recommend rebuilding your factory original starter and alternator. I agree also.

Also get your exhaust manifolds checked for straightness and machined flat if not.

Also get your injectors cleaned. Good luck though: itís a tough search.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:08 AM
johnfist
Senior User
johnfist is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not sure what the older V10s look like, but cleaning injectors is easy. Shops rarely clean them anymore, they'd rather just put in new ones.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:06 PM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by johnfist View Post
Not sure what the older V10s look like, but cleaning injectors is easy. Shops rarely clean them anymore, they'd rather just put in new ones.
Im still looking for a place to clean mine. I found a place two counties away but they want $200 to clean the set. And I have a bad feeling about them after the conversation.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:44 AM
johnfist
Senior User
$200 would probably buy you a kit for yourself. Last I checked they were around $189 IIRC. Though you need an air compressor.

Or you could do it the cheap way, but it's a little more involved and some may not be entirely comfortable with it.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:08 PM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Originally Posted by johnfist View Post
$200 would probably buy you a kit for yourself. Last I checked they were around $189 IIRC. Though you need an air compressor.

Or you could do it the cheap way, but it's a little more involved and some may not be entirely comfortable with it.
buy what kit?

Old 11-06-2018, 07:15 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
I suggest a new IAC, coil boots,water pump,alternator, starter, power steering pump, new oil pressure sensor. I suggest using all Motorcraft parts. Makes the warranty a breeze and they are much more reliable.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:10 AM
johnfist
Senior User
Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post

buy what kit?
Amazon Amazon

OTCs kits are a little more expensive. This type of thing is what a lot of shops use to clean injectors, if they're the type of shop that are willing to do it at all.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:25 PM
truckfella
Elder User
truckfella has a good reputation on FTE.truckfella has a good reputation on FTE.
I would suggest considering a full set of Timesert's installed while the engine is out.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:23 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by truckfella View Post
I would suggest considering a full set of Timesert's installed while the engine is out.
That shouldn't be necessary with a current-production Modular Motor especially the 2 valve version that will be used--Ford has made the issue of blown plugs history with plugs that are installed correctly. As Ford reman'd engines come with spark plugs you'll start out with the correct parts. FWIW I just installed a Ford reman'd 5.4 but removed the supplied plugs to lightly coat the threads with nickle-based anti-seize and torqued them to 23 ft/lbs.

If Timesert's were installed the 3 year 100K mileage warranty would be voided so that's another huge consideration.

HTH

Old 11-14-2018, 10:46 AM
truckfella
Elder User
truckfella has a good reputation on FTE.truckfella has a good reputation on FTE.
Very good point about warranty consideration regarding Timesert.

Can you explain what is different with modern reman'd engines that renders plug blowout concern obsolete?

Old 11-14-2018, 03:02 PM
johnfist
Senior User
Didn't they update the heads to have more threads? Hopefully this would be included on any reman units. Seems like it would be in their better interest for warranty claims overall.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:57 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by truckfella View Post
Very good point about warranty consideration regarding Timesert.

Can you explain what is different with modern reman'd engines that renders plug blowout concern obsolete?
2 valve heads were improved with the introduction of PI (performance improved) heads that included a bit more threads per hole than their predecessors--this would have been about 2001 or so. I don't think 1997 heads had that improvement and don't know how Ford addresses it when supplying an engine from that year. You can call their Reman'd engine tech line and they'll be more than helpful to answer that question.

Generally and typically spark plug blow outs were attributed to faulty installation, either at the factory during original build or by a heavy handed mechanic during routine maintenance replacement. Here's a thread about this very issue: Spark Plug Blow Out Testing

Not to debate this to death but considering how many Modular Motor spark plug holes do NOT blow out this still remains a relatively low likelihood of happening to any Modular Motor. That's not saying its not a serious issue when it happens to any of us. Because faulty installation can cause a blown out spark plug I do my own using the proper tools including a high quality torque wrench.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:32 AM
kehinnc
Freshman User
kehinnc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello,
What year is your truck and how many miles are on the engine being replaced? What caused the engine to need replacing? Age, mileage, blew something, etc.?
How does the factory reman engine compare to original engine in terms of performance?
Just curious because my V-10 has 180,000 miles and want to be ready for its replacement.
Thanks

Old 01-05-2019, 01:24 PM
4x4west
New User
4x4west is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Im50fast View Post

many people here would recommend rebuilding your factory original starter and alternator. I agree also.

Also get your exhaust manifolds checked for straightness and machined flat if not.

Also get your injectors cleaned. Good luck though: itís a tough search.
I had this question too. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.