1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Found another one

Old 10-21-2018, 10:20 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Found another one

So, my better half found a '99 E150 at a lot, pros or cons?

Old 10-22-2018, 05:09 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,389 Likes on 1,098 Posts
Lots of pro's, just as many con's----got any details of this van other than '99 E150? What kind of lot---buy here/pay here, dealership, for sale sign in something parked at the grocery store?

The Devil's in the details man!

Old 10-22-2018, 09:06 AM
James Doty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose it depends on the condition of the van and how much work you're willing to put in to fixing things that need to be fixed.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:14 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Thanks for your responses, 187k on the clock, 4 speed auto, towing pkg. and the usual amenities AC, CC, ABS (that I really don't want ie another nanny device) privacy glass. What I really want to know is what, if any obstructions to reaching the oil filter, air filter, plugs and wires, you know, the usual maintenance stuff.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:19 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which engine? 4.2 Essex, 4.6 or 5.4L V8?

Old 10-22-2018, 02:24 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,389 Likes on 1,098 Posts
Most any E-Series from '97 through '13 (last year) are pretty much the same. The heads will most likely be the NON-PI version which isn't a huge deal--threads in plug holes still just over 3 per plug.

Oil filter will be easier on that year as the oil cooler assembly allows drive way oil changes without making a huge mess. Somewhere after 2000 the oil cooler changed, the coolant lines have pre-formed bends that partially obstruct clean removal of the oil filter. This too isn't a huge deal but it annoys the hell outta me, so far not been able to come up with an easier and less messy way to change my own oil.

That year E150 will be the very light duty version that doesn't really lend itself to hauling all that much weight---you don't mention the engine CID so tough to know how much it can "safely" tow if that's your goal. Weight-wise the frame and suspension is light duty so max payload wouldn't be impressive.

If seller has maintenance records you'd want to know how often oil was changed, transmission serviced and whether plugs have been changed---each of those would include knowing HOW did the work so you don't get surprised by some half-assed repairs that'll cost you money to correct shoddy work.

ABS is great for those who really don't know how to modulate braking action which is what ABS is intended to do. If the wife isn't a driving enthusiast and simply gets in and drives as a necessity then ABS is pretty much a must have. If there are kids in the picture its even more desirable.

Just as a personal preference I'll never own anything less than an E250---with my current E350 I doubt even that GVW-rated van will be my forever favorite for now.

So that's all I know--------let us know if you buy this one!

Old 10-22-2018, 02:33 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
I hauled a 12’x6’ u-haul trailer. I came it at just under 8000 lbs. so that means I could have loaded another 3,500 lbs into the trailer. The van I have is a ‘98 E150 with a 4.6 V8 and it was doing very well with the large trailer. My truck is all stock except for an E-Super Duty steering damper. E350 Shock absorbers, and 4-wheel disc brakes.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:13 PM
James Doty
Senior User
In 1990 I pulled a 14 foot Uhaul from Spokane to Vancouver, WA behind my '75 E150 SWB with a 302 under the hood from a '69 Ford Torino GT mated to a C6 transmission. The back half of the van was full of things I could put in there too. Basically a whole single bedroom apartment of belongings.

The van did very well, though I'm not sure it was a good idea.

Since then I've only towed a small single axle utility trailer with a small motorcycle in it behind an '83 Econoline Chateau E150 with a 351W and a C6 transmission. That was a lot lighter.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I do love to post here.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:31 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Sure enough, the oil filter was right out in the open. The dealer wasn't sure so we looked at a '99 F truck to find the location, but me and my trusty coveralls found it on the van right away. I may have embarrassed the dealer with that, more on that later.
The pretrip went well, found one small dent, and a patch on the left rear door where the paint was worn down to the metal, likely from a former spare tire rubbing against it. Also one of the large side windows had a plastic panel in place of the glass slider portion.
The fluids were all good, as was the wiring in the engine compartment. The ancillary wiring for the interior lights may have been compromised though.
The test drive went well and everything else seemed to work nominally.
Returning to the dealer I thought we'd get down to business, he was willing to allow $1300 on the evil '96 Suburban but refused to budge on the $4995 asking price. Granted according to NADA guide it was the most affordable within 200 miles, but according to KBB it was way outside the fair market value for this region, about $1200 off.
He was adamant about the price so we walked away.
One point I was glad to learn after briefly scoping out EBay, there's glass headlight shells for this series of Econoline too, as is the first mod I do to all of my rigs, since the introduction of those dam composite plastic lens headlights.
The search continues...

Old 10-23-2018, 01:37 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Oops, I forgot to mention this '99 E150 had the 4.6 motor. Delineative I know, but we have nothing to tow, nor heavy haul. My reason for another van is possible light duty camping, futon the Coleman and the like, and the high profile I like for visibility purposes, being seated higher up.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:55 PM
WarrensE350
Tuned
I was looking at 'any' Econoline when I was in the market and found Bubba 5 years ago. It's a 96 350 with the 460 (last year for that lovely engine) and it far outstripped my expectations for this generation. OF course MPG is sagging and some things are tight and tough to get to, maybe because of the size of the engine but maybe the design of the van too, probably a mix of both.Overall, even though the van was 17 when I got it, it had lived an easy life and only had right at 100k on it, and I got it for $2300 so I really couldn't pass it up. Fortunately, it has been a real winner for me, with the only 'issue' being the fuel pump went out, but that happens.

I like the 350 for the towing capacity to be honest. It just feels quite capable, and sits up high compared to other ones I see on the road. While I did not seek out a 350, I am happy to have one so I have to agree with JWA on that. There must be some decent mile, well maintained, well priced options out there. So make sure you're happy with everything, let your gut be at peace or move on...

Old 10-23-2018, 10:04 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Yeah, we'll keep an eye on that one and while I'm OTR this week my better half will be scanning Craigslist, EBay and other vehicle searches. Hopefully we'll find "The One"

Old 10-31-2018, 12:52 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Well BBB left me yesterday so the van search will have to be accelerated. For those of you with the '90 - '99 Econolines how accessible is the motor for tune UPS, O2 sensor replacement, oil changes (are they still vertical?) etc.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:17 PM
98Econoline150
Senior User
Engine is very easy to get to. I wouldn’t consider a V6. 4.6 or 5.4 are best as they are still pretty small and give a lot of room to work with (relatively speaking). Spark plugs are easier if you get 4 from the front and 4 from the rear. Oil changes are super easy and you don’t need to raise up the truck to do them. O2 sensors aren’t bad. Upstream sensors can be accessed from the doghouse. Down stream O2s are not bad but you do have to get under the truck.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:14 PM
turbogus
Laughing Gas
Thanks that's just what I needed to know. Up until your post I was leaning towards Chevy/GMC, although after my experience with that evil Suburban I have no loyalty to GM anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found another one