Modular V10 (6.8l)  

ATTN parts gurus! Engine wiring harness questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 01:49 PM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
ATTN parts gurus! Engine wiring harness questions

The engine harness on my 2001 F-250 V10 (PI, non EGR, AT) is failing. Specifically, three of the green seals on the coil connectors are cracked and on a fourth, the seal is no longer bonded to the connector, so wet weather almost always induces a misfire condition. Due to the overall age and condition of the harness I am considering replacing the entire harness, but realize that finding a good used one may present a challenge! So, I have several questions:
1) I am having trouble finding the correct part number for this assembly, I don't have access to a parts lookup.
2) What other V10's use the same harness? Excursions? Year range?
3) What is the difference between the harness for a 99-00 harness and the 01? I find them listed separately.
4) Would I be better off removing the harness and replacing the coil connectors? Seems like it would be quite a pain to solder and shrink all of them in the space provided in the loom.....

Any input will be appreciated!

Old 11-04-2018, 01:41 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Excursions, in my 2001 EVTM, all have slightly different wiring for almost everything, believe it or not. Not sure about the engine harness though. I'd have to check it.

The green seals, the rubber part, are not "bonded" to the connector. If you were to find another harness in a junkyard, you could pick up the rubbers with a small screw driver and just install in your existing connectors.

A bit of dialectric grease (not on the contacts) would finish the job. Usually people are replacing stuff because the lock tabs broke.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:22 PM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Krewat, thanks for the info!.

I'll look into changing the seals, that is the only problem with my harness. I haven't tried to remove/replace the seals themselves and with the cost of a new harness in the hundred$$$, finding even a damaged one (as long as the seals are good) seems like a good alternative, especially with the wide range of applications those coils and connectors have been used on. I have searched for the seals only without success, but that was some time ago.

I am aware that there are significant differences between the Excursion and pickup models in some of the wiring. I am finding a few Excursion engine harnesses for sale, but virtually no pickup harnesses, which was the reason I asked about the PN and possibility of interchanging them.

I want to share that I have found parts when searching with Motorcraft part numbers that I couldn't locate searching by application. (Just a hint for those who may be having trouble locating parts....)

Old 11-04-2018, 04:58 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I think you should take one of those rubber seals that are broken to a junkyard and ask if they have any you can scrounge. In all likelihood, they have something that half burned up, or something else with a damaged wiring harness where they won't care if you pull out a few of those seals.

Definitely report back with what you find

Old 11-04-2018, 05:21 PM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
I've got a yard that will probably let me do that. They've been good with that sort of thing in the past, so good in fact I almost hate to be a pain in the butt asking.... I won't be back there for a week or so, but I'll ask then. Maybe I will get a chance to play with one or two of my seals before then so I'm practiced in removing them.

I searched again and can find repair bodies with the seals, but so far I can't find just the seals.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:09 PM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Just an update: I was able to find the seals at the yard I mentioned. They let me pick them off the harness from a 5.4 engine. There were apparently both red and green seals used in the earlier gas trucks and I was able to get five good green ones that match my OEM's for $5, so I'll have a couple of spares. They were easy to remove without damage, replacement looks to be easy.

I will replace them bad on my next spark plug change. Its due and I'll let you know how the seals go. But it may be a while due to a shoulder injury which may require surgery.

Its hell growing old (until you consider the alternative!)

Old 01-02-2019, 09:08 AM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On a side note, replacing the entire clips isn't all that tough. It takes a bit of time, but it's not bad.