1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Team 321 narrowed Crown Vic IFS kit...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:34 AM
FordsOnlyGarage
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Team 321 narrowed Crown Vic IFS kit...?

Not cheap when all costs are considered but looks like a nice set-up with correct track width.
Anyone have reviews or first-hand experience?

https://team321.com/ncv-page/

Old 11-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by FordsOnlyGarage
Not cheap when all costs are considered but looks like a nice set-up with correct track width.
Anyone have reviews or first-hand experience?

https://team321.com/ncv-page/
i have experience with that one.

Lets just say say I would never do again if it were free!

Old 11-02-2018, 10:12 PM
FordsOnlyGarage
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss9F100
i have experience with that one.
Lets just say say I would never do again if it were free!
Holy cow! That doesn't sound good. Can you elaborate...?

Old 11-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by FordsOnlyGarage
Holy cow! That doesn't sound good. Can you elaborate...?
sloppiest craftsmanship I had seen in a long time. Different from side to side. And that was a replacement for the first botched one. Owner admitted should have never been shipped.

Old 12-30-2018, 04:56 PM
unilover6163
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Any photo's available to support these comments?
I was considering these components as well but if you've got a few photo's of the problems with the components it'd be helpful in making a final decision of "Yea" or "Ney."
I have a 1963 F100 unibody and a 'mint' low mileage 2008 Grand Marquis (Crown Vic) front assembly I was considering using once the issue of narrowing the Track Width was sorted out with aftermarket parts by someone out there (maybe?)...
Thank you for the post and dialog on this issue.
About 5 or 6 years ago (for a couple years) more than one TV Car Builder was using this Crown Vic swap in their truck builds but I haven't seen any since -- is that a signal that it wasn't a decent swap once those trucks got some road time to sort out the incompatibility issues? There wasn't any follow-up on any details of "noted failures" except for that pesky "Track Width" issue...

Old 12-31-2018, 06:20 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 321 Suspension is showcased in the new Issue 4, F100 Builder Guide mag. Anyone that uses actual angle iron in suspension construction deserves any ridicule and criticism hurled at them. (see Picture #4 and #13 of the article showing the outer 90 degree structural shape and the inner radius of the upper a arm support.)

Randy can possibly elaborate on this with an actual kit received

The secondary issue is the narrowing of the suspension mounting points. This changes the entire engineering of the suspension as the roll center is now not at the same mathematically predicted location as ford intended, this could have some very interesting side affects. The mustang II type suspension has this very same issue as it was made wider, most notably lots of bump steer.

At least the cross-member is not a vacuum cast pot being bolted to a flexible ladder frame....

Garbz

Old 12-31-2018, 11:38 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by unilover6163
I was considering these components as well but if you've got a few photo's of the problems with the components it'd be helpful in making a final decision of "Yea" or "Ney."
I have a 1963 F100 unibody and a 'mint' low mileage 2008 Grand Marquis (Crown Vic) front assembly I was considering using once the issue of narrowing the Track Width was sorted out with aftermarket parts by someone out there (maybe?)...
About 5 or 6 years ago (for a couple years) more than one TV Car Builder was using this Crown Vic swap in their truck builds but I haven't seen any since -- is that a signal that it wasn't a decent swap once those trucks got some road time to sort out the incompatibility issues? There wasn't any follow-up on any details of "noted failures" except for that pesky "Track Width" issue...
Comments removed

Old 12-31-2018, 11:52 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by unilover6163
Buy one, Install and let us know how it went!

Just not for me.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:12 PM
daveheld
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm dave held... owner of Team321, designer and manufacturer of the Narrow Crown Vic front suspension. I'm open to any questions you may have.

Sounds like there are quite a few assumptions made regarding geometry, bump steer, etc... I did not enter into this design lightly, there was a great deal of research and measurements prior to the 3D CAD design of the crossmember to fit the geometry to the chosen steering rack. There are those that simply think I cut the ends off a steering rack and called it good... that is simply not the case. The Narrow Crown Vic front suspension was designed around the steering rack pivot points. Some are confused by the fact that the ends of the steering rack's inner tie rods must be trimmed to fit the crown vic outer tie rods... this 1 -1.5" trimming is to allow the inner tie rod to fit the crown vic outer tie rods.

again, i'm open to any questions you may have... the workmanship of the original crossmember sent to Boss9 was bad and should have never been shipped. I can assure you the people that worked for me at that time - the welder and the one who loaded up that crossmember - lasted about 15 minutes after i heard about the crossmember that was shipped. Where did that crossmember end up?

I replaced the bad crossmember and shipped it to Boos9 within two weeks and did not hear back about any further quality issues... I've heard plenty of comments from customers since then and the product has evolved... I'm open to any comments. I'm here to provide a quality product. I'm here to listen to constructive feedback as well as qualified criticism. I enjoy what I do and welcome your feedback.

dave
Team321 LLC
Cocoa Beach FL

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-24-2019, 01:40 PM
okiewelder
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boss9 that is one gorgeous truck!! I have always wondered how that crossmember worked and how well it looked.
How does the truck handle with it installed?
I installed a fatman mustang 2 in mine years before the CV was popular.
I wish I had put the IRS in my truck before I got it on the body back on the frame and the truck on the road!

Old 01-25-2019, 07:48 AM
sgettin
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by daveheld
I'm dave held... owner of Team321, designer and manufacturer of the Narrow Crown Vic front suspension. I'm open to any questions you may have.

Sounds like there are quite a few assumptions made regarding geometry, bump steer, etc... I did not enter into this design lightly, there was a great deal of research and measurements prior to the 3D CAD design of the crossmember to fit the geometry to the chosen steering rack. There are those that simply think I cut the ends off a steering rack and called it good... that is simply not the case. The Narrow Crown Vic front suspension was designed around the steering rack pivot points. Some are confused by the fact that the ends of the steering rack's inner tie rods must be trimmed to fit the crown vic outer tie rods... this 1 -1.5" trimming is to allow the inner tie rod to fit the crown vic outer tie rods.

again, i'm open to any questions you may have... the workmanship of the original crossmember sent to Boss9 was bad and should have never been shipped. I can assure you the people that worked for me at that time - the welder and the one who loaded up that crossmember - lasted about 15 minutes after i heard about the crossmember that was shipped. Where did that crossmember end up?

I replaced the bad crossmember and shipped it to Boos9 within two weeks and did not hear back about any further quality issues... I've heard plenty of comments from customers since then and the product has evolved... I'm open to any comments. I'm here to provide a quality product. I'm here to listen to constructive feedback as well as qualified criticism. I enjoy what I do and welcome your feedback.

dave
Team321 LLC
Cocoa Beach FL
I do not know anything about replacement front suspensions on our trucks nor do I have an opinion on the subject matter but thought I should thank you for offering your side of the discussion.