Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Towing with a 6.8L 2V, 4R100....thoughts?

Old 11-01-2018, 10:41 AM
SoCalAngler
Elder User
SoCalAngler is starting off with a positive reputation.
Towing with a 6.8L 2V, 4R100....thoughts?

Purchased a TT that weighs 9900#. I plan on traveling to various stares during family vacations... (From CA to....OR, WA, NV, AZ, NM, CO, MT, etc).

I've read in various posts that the general consensus is.....the newer SD trucks (ex. 2005) with the later trans (5R110) and later V10 (3V) are far superior to what is in my rig.

Is my rig capable and adequate to the towing I plan? My truck is clean, well maintained, has 66K miles, and I like it! Plus, it's PAID FOR!!! But I don't want to continue adding $$ to it (mainly accessories) if it is not going to be up to the task for the long term. (Not looking for a diesel or a new truck).

Is the newer truck with 3V and 5 speed trans a HUGE difference and is more suited to my long term towing plans OR is my current truck fully capable and adequate?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

NOTE: I plan on changing rear end gears to 4.30:1

Old 11-01-2018, 11:16 AM
maticuno
Posting Guru
maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Our trucks will tow/haul and in general keep up with the diesels just fine...but you're not going to like the fuel economy.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:17 PM
pennsylvaniabo
Senior User
pennsylvaniabo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
dont be scared to drop to 2nd when towing the mountains.....other than that, party on...

Old 11-01-2018, 12:30 PM
redford
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
I think your only worry is trans temp. Low speed manuvering (like backing with a trailer) with low airflow can heat up a 4R100 rather quickly, causing softening of seals and spewing of fluid. Just keep an eye on that, and if it does happen just remember it looks a lot worse than it really is.

Most always you just need to let the truck cool down and add fluid.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:30 PM
Sancho
Senior User
Sancho is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe consider a 4.56 gear ratio. I think RV puller had a 2valve . He might have some input. Lots of motorhomes running that setup. Mine handles my 10k trailer easily, but it is a 3 valve .

Old 11-01-2018, 02:25 PM
SoCalAngler
Elder User
Originally Posted by maticuno View Post
Our trucks will tow/haul and in general keep up with the diesels just fine...but you're not going to like the fuel economy.
No too concerned with fuel economy, as I knew that when I purchased the truck....plus, like I said......the truck is PAID FOR!!!!

Old 11-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Mac Daddy
Junior User
Mac Daddy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a stock 2001 V-10 with the 5 star 87 octane tow tune loaded. We routinely pull a 5 ton gooseneck dump trailer loaded with gravel. 27 to 28k gvwr. Biggest issue is stopping and gas mileage. 230k miles and pulling strong.

-Mac

Old 11-01-2018, 04:19 PM
irydasteelhorse
Senior User
irydasteelhorse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
99 2v here. i pull alot of heavy trailers, including our 5th wheel. pulls hard and strong. you have to let it rev! the only thing ive noticed is itll kick out of cruise if it needs to shift beyond 3rd. if you step on it when you start the hill, itll hold cruise , and on down the other side. love my truck

Old 11-01-2018, 09:43 PM
billybobofkf
Senior User
billybobofkf is starting off with a positive reputation.
I drive a 99 dually with a 2 valve engine, I pull a 10,500 lb 5th wheel in the mountains. I agree with all the positive things that have been said. And like Redford said, watch your trans temp closely. I still haven't solved all my trans temp issues, but I'm getting closer. Considering what I'm asking of this truck, I give it 5 stars!

Old 11-02-2018, 01:07 AM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
Purchased a TT that weighs 9900#. I plan on traveling to various states during family vacations... (From CA to....OR, WA, NV, AZ, NM, CO, MT, etc). ...
We pull an almost 8k TH for our family vacations with our '02 Excur.
We live in SoCal and have been from WA to TX.
The 3.73s mean we take hills a bit slow, but otherwise have had no problems towing.
I have 3 trans coolers plus a filter and the trans temps are no more than 50 deg above ambient in the return line to the sump.
There is the OEM radiator cooler, an upgraded aux cooler from the 5R110 (Dorman 918-216) replacing the OEM aux cooler and a B&M Super cooler 70274.
You probably have an OEM aux cooler, but checkout the 5R110 cooler.
The B&M cooler is mounted above the aux cooler.
All the add-ons are plumbed with 1/2" high temp trans cooler hose.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:53 AM
Diamnd1
Elder User
Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have an '04 and have a few mods to help the truck tow with more ease. Gears are going to be the best mod for towing. 4.30 gears seem to be the best ratio for this drivetrain in stock form. I went from 3.73 to 4.30 and makes a big difference. I also replaced the stock trans cooler and put a 31 row trans cooler. Trans temps very rarely see 190 now. I had 5 Star tuning customize my tow tunes to my liking and is soo much better now. You will also want to check the exhaust around the bottom of the engine for the necked down collector. There are y-pipe mods you can buy to correct this issue.

These are just a few upgrades you will want to research, otherwise your truck will pull your TT. It will work and huff and puff at times, but you will get there. Oh yeah, it will develop a severe pull to what ever side the gas station is on too..Just sayin!!

Old 11-02-2018, 09:20 AM
johnfist
Senior User
johnfist is starting off with a positive reputation.
You won't have issues pulling it. As mentioned, watch trans temp, let the engine rev as needed, and keep an eye on the fuel gauge

Old 11-02-2018, 11:28 AM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
...I've read in various posts that the general consensus is.....the newer SD trucks (ex. 2005) with the later trans (5R110) and later V10 (3V) are far superior to what is in my rig.
Is my rig capable and adequate to the towing I plan? My truck is clean, well maintained, has 66K miles, and I like it! Plus, it's PAID FOR!!! But I don't want to continue adding $$ to it (mainly accessories) if it is not going to be up to the task for the long term. ...
One other accessory that seemed worthwhile was adding the OEM aluminum differential cover from the 2008+ F250.
Ford must have had a good reason to add it, around $60 on ebay, Ford 8C3Z-4033-A
It needs (12) 5/16"-18 x 1-1/4" bolts.
A Lube Locker Ford 10.25/10.5 differential reusable gasket is nice.
I tapped the cover for an 1/8" NPT drain plug before installing.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:24 PM
SoCalAngler
Elder User
Originally Posted by R&T Babich View Post
The 3.73s mean we take hills a bit slow, but otherwise have had no problems towing.
R&T.....any reason you have not gone with a 4.30:1 rear end?

Old 11-02-2018, 08:26 PM
SoCalAngler
Elder User
NOTE.......I have replaced the OEM trans cooler with the 6.0L OEM trans cooler

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.