2010 F350 power problem - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2010 F350 power problem

Old 10-31-2018, 03:04 PM
AussieTricky
New User
AussieTricky is starting off with a positive reputation.
2010 F350 power problem

Hi guys, F Truck enthusiast from down under. I have a 2010 350 Lariat 6.4 lt model that has been giving myself and mechanics grief over the last few months.
It starts and runs fine while cold, but after 40 mins of heat soak it loses all boost and severely drops off power under load. Run fine inder part throttle but as soon as you ask a bit more from it, it breaks down.
Replace fuel pressure sensor and wiring loom and run checks on HPFP and all OK.
Any thoughts ??
TIA
Rick

Old 11-03-2018, 06:44 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Give us an update Rick.

I'm scooping and reading but can't find a same problem.

Sorrry, but do post your progress or resultant factor.

Helps alot!

Denny

Old 11-04-2018, 08:18 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Is it stock
have you cleaned out the ebp tube

theres a YouTube video on how to do that

also, gave you checked the oil levels...over filled / diluted oil will do exactly what you discribe

Old 11-04-2018, 09:16 PM
AussieTricky
New User
Look like you mat be on the money Speakerfritz.
Checked the dipstick and it is certainly over the MAX line and feels very thin.
Will drop the oil and refresh and let you know how we go.
It looks like all of the EGR is still fitted. Will have a go at cleaning that also.
Many thanks

Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 PM
AussieTricky
New User
Just dropped the oil and emptied 25 liters out !!!!
Bit overfilled if the specs are correct at 14.2 capacity.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:51 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
So itís stock with dpf?

if so, once you replace the oil, take it for a 30 minutes high way drive.

while you drive press Setup, then reset. That will scroll thru sys info. After miles til empty check to see if it says cleaning exhuast filter. If it says this after 30 minutes, drive for anoth 15 and if it does not clear in 45 minutes total you have more troubleshooting to do.

You are are not going to get max power with clogged dpf and the engine running in regen mode.

the oil dilution is cuase by with excessive regen time or leaking fuel system components .

whast the hpfp replaced? Were injectors replaced?

i feel like thereís more to this story?

Old 11-06-2018, 01:56 AM
AussieTricky
New User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
So itís stock with dpf?

if so, once you replace the oil, take it for a 30 minutes high way drive.

while you drive press Setup, then reset. That will scroll thru sys info. After miles til empty check to see if it says cleaning exhuast filter. If it says this after 30 minutes, drive for anoth 15 and if it does not clear in 45 minutes total you have more troubleshooting to do.

You are are not going to get max power with clogged dpf and the engine running in regen mode.

the oil dilution is cuase by with excessive regen time or leaking fuel system components .

whast the hpfp replaced? Were injectors replaced?

i feel like thereís more to this story?

took it for a 1 hr run, check engine light turned itself off. Went through the process you described and at the end there was no dog regen cycle carried out.
am assuming egr/dog has been made obsolete??
I did have reman injectors installed 3000 miles ago. Is it safe to assume that the mechanic didn't reset injector pulse ( if that's the correct term ) to suit the new ones ?
it is running with good 20-30lb of boost under accel and holds some when idling along not as previously

Old 11-06-2018, 09:26 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
It may be running on now, but my concern is root cause....why did the oil dilute.

A) not able to regen correctly

b) maint was done and correct procedures not followed...if injectors were replaced...were the one time use fuel lines to the injectors and were the lines torqued correctly.

C) leak at me hanical drive point of hpfp.

the regen question is simply does the truck regen completely between 120 and 600 miles. If you take a lot of short trips with stop and go traffic. Regents may be in question. I live in the city and due to stop and go conditions I sometimes have to choose stores that are further from me just so I can ensure a complete regen cycle.

watch your oil levels to see if the level increase quickly returns which would indicate a leak.

you probally had more fuel and oil than what you drained and the rest was sucked into the turbos via the case vents.

i do 2500 miles between oil changes becuase of these types of problems and I check my oil level every week .

you can survive owning a 6.4 but you have to stay on top of it.

another recommendation is to run the thickest oil the weather will allow. Why? Becuse if the oil dilutes, the viscosity will be higher if thicker oil is used than the thinnest option.

your truck will run on 5w40!when new. But if 3 gallons of furl enters your oil system as it did for you the 5w40 becomes 2.5w20 and if you tow with that you are going to spin bearings .

summer I run 20w50. Fall and spring I run 15w40. Winter I run 10w40

at 50% dilution

20w50 becomes 10w25
15w49 becomes 7.5w20
10w40 becomes 5w20

Old 11-06-2018, 01:13 PM
AussieTricky
New User
Speakerfitz, you are a legend !!
I only travel short trips, and the only 3 or 4 longer trips have never run in regen mode.
Am still going to return to the guys who did the injectors to have them check over their work to see if anything was missed.
In saying that i am going to sell her as my wife finds it too large to drive and we are going to downsize to a Ram 1500.
Not what i was hoping for but " happy wife, happy life" as they say.
Am hoping to sort this out prior to sale as i dont want to pass it on to someone else in its current state.
Will check oil levels over the next 500 and see how much they have risen.
Will definitely start using a thicker oil and go for changes that suit the issue until it is solved.
Unfortunately over here we dont have the range of mechanics that know their stuff with these trucks.
You have been a great help speakerfritz.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:06 PM
AussieTricky
New User
Overall problem sorted.
Turns out to be an issue with Regen made not happening along with a blocked DPF.
Swapped out, re-set the ecu and all seem to be OK

Old 11-11-2018, 06:58 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
So regen will not happen if thermostat is not at temp and 35 mph is not reached ....time needed varies on how clogged.
Keep an eye on this problem becuase history tells us if root Cassie is not determined...new dpf will also eventually clog.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:52 PM
AussieTricky
New User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
So regen will not happen if thermostat is not at temp and 35 mph is not reached ....time needed varies on how clogged.
Keep an eye on this problem becuase history tells us if root Cassie is not determined...new dpf will also eventually clog.

looks like this problem isn't going away. There is no dpf to cause issue, the injectors were replaced 5k ago and they have assured me they re-set t hy em ( not so accepting of this )
truck seems to run fine for the first 30 mins or so, then after some heat soak starts to break down. Drives ok at 10% throttle but any more than that it drops boost to 0 and coughs and splutters.
Any advise would be appreciated. The workshops here seem to struggle at even the slightest issues.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:20 AM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
I think you really need onboard logging so you can nail it down when the event happens. Do you have an android phone you can run forescan on?

Old 12-23-2018, 08:57 PM
AussieTricky
New User
Yes I have an Android Phone, what app do I need to install ?

Old 12-24-2018, 10:21 AM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
Android Based Diagnosis with Forscan Lite.

It's free and will monitor many things/most parameters.

If you go into the 7.3 forum and look for a post from "Tugly" in his signature is the link and alot of information on the app.

Denny

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: