Sponsored by:

1990 BRONCO 351W E4OD TO MANUAL SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:01 PM
1990FRANKENTRUCK
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 BRONCO 351W E4OD TO MANUAL SWAP

Hey all, my E4OD took a dump on me the other day, blew the seal for the torque converter and left me high and dry with a massive puddle on the ground (at the top of a mountain no less!). I already had thoughts on doing a manual transmission swap, and after this, plus doing several hours of reading on the swap, I have decided I am going to get it done.

The E4OD is currently sitting on the floor behind me, for now I am just going to change the filter, flush the lines, seal it back up and throw it in. (didn't overheat it, or notice any funny symptoms before discovery, what little fluid was left only smelled slightly burnt, and hardly any metal in the oil, I think she's got some life left in her!)

But in the meantime I am going to hunt for a donor truck, and eventually get the swap under way (hopefully before the E40D gives me any other surprises).

This thread will also eventually become the build thread for the transmission swap, and whatever else happens along the way.

So, here are my questions.

- I have read / heard that a transmission from a 302, or a 351w will bolt right up, and that my transfer case will be compatible with manual transmissions from those engines. Is this true, and are there any other engines with the same bolt patterns / vehicles I can keep my eye open for? Right now, all I am looking for are Fords with 302s or 351ws in them with a manual trans, and there doesn't seem to be any nearby yet, so any other compatible options would be welcome information. (90's explorers? mustangs? etc)

- I have several good 7.3 diesel ZF5s (as well as complete diesel manual donor trucks), but have read that these are not compatible. Just want to solidify this assumption, as it would be a shame to have all those good parts kicking around and find out that I could have used them after spending time and $$$ on more parts trucks / parts etc.

Any other tips from experienced folk, or people that have done the swap before and know what complications / important details may be important, are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance

Zach

Old 10-24-2018, 11:56 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Zach, I can confirm the diesel version ZF5 will not work with a gas engine, they won't mate. I would try exchanging a diesel one for a gas one, someone might be interested to trade you. From what I recall you need a 4WD version of the trans, not completely sure on that one. The ZF5 is possibly the best close to stock trans you will find for this truck, and it only came in HD trucks, so in any case that should be your source. Do a search here and on the F-150 forum, this swap has been done several times, you'll find part lists and procedures, good luck!.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:43 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Hi Zach,
You need a transmission from a small block Ford engine, which also includes the 300 inline six. Also, you will want to look for one that is 4x4, or the tailshaft won't bolt up.
Diesels and big block V8s are a different bolt pattern and won't work.

The ZF5 only came in F-250 and F-350 trucks (either behind a 351 or a 300. The 302 was only offered in F-150s).
The M5OD came in the F-150 and Broncos.

And yes, the transfer cases are all the same.

I just did a swap from an AOD to a ZF5 in my Bronco.

It's an overall build thread for my Bronco, so it has extra stuff too (like body work and an engine swap) but I detailed the entire transmission swap in there.
The only extra part I can think of that you'll need to take into account is the computer, since your E4OD is computer controlled.

You can read through my build thread here (I linked to the post where the transmission stuff starts):

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...ml#post7110228

Other things you'll need:

Manual transmission starter (important!)
Flywheel/pressure plate/clutch
Pedal bracket assembly with clutch pedals
Manual truck ECU
Manual truck floor pan
5 speed drivelines (or change the length of yours)
Hydraulic clutch master/slave

Also, since yours is a pre-92 body style, I highly recommend looking into the aftermarket firewall bracing to keep the clutch from cracking your firewall.

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/83-...uctinfo/34010/

Old 10-25-2018, 09:55 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh you, stop stealing my lightning...

Old 11-06-2018, 09:43 PM
1990FRANKENTRUCK
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all, so an update. I decided to throw the E4OD Back in for now so I can look for a donor truck at my leisure. I flushed the lines, replaced the filter, rear main engine seal and torque converter seal and have put a leak free 2000 Kms on it, quite pleased about that.

But while I keep an eye out for a manual trans, I am going to continue my plans to get more horsepower out of the 351. I built a box for my K&N air filter this past weekend, and have noticed a significant difference in sound and power, especially above 50 km/h, pretty excited with how that turned out. I still plan on adding one more air scoop to the box, bringing in air from a nice large rectangular hole beside my rad.

Next up is a set of headers and a free flowing exhaust system, which I also plan on building myself (the exhaust system, not the headers.). Just wondering, will there be much difference between the short and long tube headers? Sound, power, torque, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Zach

Oh and don't worry about the coolant overflow, thats only temporary

Zach