95 F150 odd issue auto transmission - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

95 F150 odd issue auto transmission

Old 10-30-2018, 02:16 PM
gov2mod
Senior User
gov2mod is starting off with a positive reputation.
95 F150 odd issue auto transmission

1995 F150 2wd 4.9 six cylinder automatic O/D transmission. Truck has 240,000 miles. Runs good, shifts good.When coming to a stop, about 3-5 feet before total stop it feels like someone lightly bumped into rear bumper. It's almost like I slipped it into neutral, gave it a little gas and then slipped it back into drive each time but my foot is on the brake. It is doing it every single time I stop. It seems to shift and run fine other than this issue. If I put it into neutral or into 2nd gear as I stop it doesn't do it, however as soon I put it back into drive I get the "bump" I almost thought it was in the 8.8 rear axle (I've changed three of the 8.8's in my two Bronco's and currently have one getting ready to let go) but it certainly appears to be a transmission issue. Could this be an ECU issue?.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:42 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Has it ever stalled out when coming to a stop? It sounds like the converter clutch isnít disengaging.

Have you tried to retrieve fault codes?

Old 10-31-2018, 12:44 AM
gov2mod
Senior User
No stalling, just the weird issue when I stop. It's almost like it slips into neutral and back into gear in a split second just a couple of feet before I stop. All while my foot is on the brake. No other slippage issue, shifts good, no stalling.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:23 AM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
Your E4OD transmission is 100% electronic controlled, run the Key On Engine Off (KOEO) tests and Stored Code display. List any codes by number and when they were displayed. If the KOEO tests pass you will see Code 111, System Pass. If there are no Stored Codes you will see Code 111, System Pass.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:12 PM
gov2mod
Senior User
When I checked the codes I get the 111 system pass but then it's followed by 452 twice. This code says speed sensor. It doesn't have the one on the left rear of the transmission but it does have the one on top of the rear. Could that sensor on the rear axle affect this transmission issue?

Old 11-08-2018, 09:30 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ford code 452 is for the VSS or the PSOM.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Lube the slip yoke on the driveshaft. Ford sells a special grease for this.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:24 PM
gov2mod
Senior User
Speedometer seems just fine. Just the strange transmission issue.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:49 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Lube the slip yoke on the driveshaft. Ford sells a special grease for this.
Since he didn't reply, I am never opposed to trying something someone with your experience has. I am very curious and interested what your recommendation does to correct his issue. Sandy

Old 11-08-2018, 11:59 PM
gov2mod
Senior User
I will try to lube the slip joint to see if has any effect on the issue.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:03 AM
sandymane
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gov2mod View Post
I will try to lube the slip joint to see if has any effect on the issue.
Just want you to know I wasn't trying to step on your post. There is nothing wrong with dismissing a suggestion and I thought you did. I was just curious as to the reason of what he posted.. If you know do you mind sharing it with me. Thanks sandy

Old 11-09-2018, 12:11 AM
gov2mod
Senior User
I didn't dismiss it, I just saw it today and I've been too busy to work on the truck.The strange thing is it runs and shifts good, speedometer not wacky it's just every time you stop it feels like someone bumped into the back of the truck. I did take a quick look under the truck to see the plastic filler plug in the left rear of the transmission where a speed sensor would go on other model so the only one I know of is on top of the differential. The truck is an XL so there's no cruise control like my XLT Bronco's. The best way to describe the problem is if you were sitting still in neutral, you held your foot on the brake with your left foot, gave it a little gas with your right and dropped it into drive. But it does this "bump" when I am stopping, just a couple of feet from dead stop and my foot is only on the brake.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:41 AM
gov2mod
Senior User
Regular cab 2wd, no slip joint. One piece drive shaft.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Of course it has a slip joint. If it doesn't have one then the rear axle won't have springs and must be bolted directly to the frame. When the axle moves up and down the distance between the transmission and rear axle changes. Either it has a slip joint or the driveshaft shrinks and grows as the axle moves.

The slip joint on a 2wd vehicle is at the rear of the transmission. Take the driveshaft out and lube where it splines onto the output shaft of the transmission.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 PM
gov2mod
Senior User
I was referring to a two piece drive shaft with a slip joint Of course I certainly know about the slip fitting at the rear of the transmission. I'm not trying to be a know it all but I've been a mechanic all my life and I've personally have or have had 69 (I've probably forgotten a couple) cars, trucks, and motorcycles and never, ever have I had to remove a drive shaft and lube the smooth area where it enters the transmission. Generally when I remove a drive shaft the ATF comes out the rear of the tail shaft and has kept this area lubed and if I have a drive shaft out it's lubed with ATF on the way back in. I certainly don't claim to know everything but I believe this is a transmission issue either mechanical or caused by the computer. I do value your opinion and that of you others and if nothing else works, I get time, and it EVER stops raining around here I'll pull the drive shaft and try the lube.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.