Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

89 7.3, White Smoke, Jerking, Missing, and Some Attempted Fixes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:01 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I ran some diesel klean and some atf in the tank. It really seemed to run smoother and definitely had less smoke, unfortunately it came back after I ran that tank.

Might be worth a shot to keep everything lubed up

Old 03-12-2019, 07:08 PM
msubtech84
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you talking about white smoke?

Old 03-13-2019, 12:12 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by msubtech84
Are you talking about white smoke?
Yes I am, I have sporadic white smoke that I can't trace down to an ip, injectors, or a specific cylinder, or the fuel system which is basically all new at this point including the sending unit

Next on my list is a compression test if I can ever find a good reliable tester second hand for a decent price

Old 03-16-2019, 12:06 PM
msubtech84
Junior User
Have you ran clear line from just before the filter housing looped all the way up in front of the drivers window back down to the filter head? That will tell you if you have any air getting to the filter head period it does not sound like you have confirmed that with online driving test.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:59 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
I ran a piece of clear line on the return exit of the ip and never saw any air bubbles

Old 03-16-2019, 05:06 PM
msubtech84
Junior User
Did you set it up so you could monitor it while you were driving? IE looped up in front of the window where you could see everything?

FWIW mine is running like a song now. The only thing I need to do is fine tune the governor response when the truck goes into low fuel-off throttle mode. Mine almost feels like it comes on too harsh or ramps fuel too rapidly causing just a little bit of overshoot. You know where it is annoying is when I have it in cruise control and the truck seems to really be in ON or OFF mode moving around set speed causing the ride to be unbearable in my opinion.

I think I back the locknut screw off for this procedure to cause the governor to be less abrupt. If I do it and it gets worse I will know I need to bring it in even further but I think it's about in all the way per the manual on reassembly. I am still debating how to get the thing timed too. Right now I can't really complain I never see anything come out of that exhaust pipe which probably means I am slightly retarded and could get a little more power and fuel economy.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:34 PM
msubtech84
Junior User
So just to reiterate, the thing that finally completely fixed my truck was the injectors for anybody reading this thread. The IP rebuild did a big part too. None of this would have been possible without fixing all of the fuel leaks at the fuel heater and return lines as well. Oh yea and I just used the Nitrile O-rings they are working good.

Contrary to popular opinion I forewent pop testing my new injectors I got at O'reilly's. Real world conditions dictated a change of injectors right there in the parking lot. They were Standard brand and looked to be of decent build quality. I got them for $45 each (the guy did try to charge $50 at first). There was no core charge cause they were new, I guess. So...I even get to keep my old injectors and try to rebuild these suckers! I probably will at some point try to fabricate a pop tester but that might be years down the road now that these current injectors are all new.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:20 AM
Dustin Armentrout
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Romel77
Get the injectors out and get them pop tested. The only way u know for sure how they are. However, I must say my idi ran quite well, I pulled the injectors and found out none of them is spraying right, all were dripping. I had a spare 4 sets of used injectors, 1 supposedly from a running engine and none of the 32 sprayed right. I have bought the injector tips and overhauled the injectors, shimed them to correct pop pressure, pop tested them and mounted them. It is running ok but still, I am not happy and want to try the new Stanadyne complete injectors and judge from there. Putting new injectors will put more strain on the IP, so doing that it will need retimed the IP, advancing it more compensating for the wear in the pump. These IP are really bad design and u might end up just replacing it as well. I wish Bosch made some kind of IP that could be used, problem with the IP solved forever.
The main problem with the stanadyne IP is the amount of fuel is first metered and then compressed. Thus no compensating for the wear in the pump. The Bosch pump first compresses the fuel and then meters the amount to be injected. As it wears out there is still room for compensating. The stanadyne basically runs only worse since the rew 1.

Where were you able to buy injector tips at? I cant find them anywhere.