Problems on the Highway: Tail and Dash Lights Out - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Problems on the Highway: Tail and Dash Lights Out

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 10-28-2018, 08:04 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.

Hey Guys,

My brother has a 2002 F350 and his dash and tail lights keep going out while hes on the highway in the dark.
He replaces the fuse and all is well until he gets underway again. Once he gets up to speed the dash lights will flicker a few times and then go out, blowing the fuse.
Hes replaced the fuse a few times with the same results. Its raining out too if that gives any clues.
Where is the best place to start to look?
I'm guessing there it is shorting out somewhere , but where...?

Old 10-28-2018, 08:11 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
The windshield on the left, where the fusebox is located.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:15 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.roostercrows has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks Mark, you think the short could be originating from the fusebox area?

Old 10-28-2018, 08:25 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like the windshield is leaking.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:31 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Gotcha, why then would it only blow the fuse when he gets up to speed?

Old 10-28-2018, 08:46 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by roostercrows View Post
Gotcha, why then would it only blow the fuse when he gets up to speed?
That's a good question. but the fusebox is a place to start.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:29 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Will do, I'll let you know what he finds.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Old 10-29-2018, 01:13 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'd start at the wires near the back. Might have a bald spot and if they're loose they might be flopping around in the wind. If someone tapped into them for a trailer lighting connector that would be the first suspect.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 AM
axmrdr
Senior User
axmrdr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has there been any modifications to the wiring? First key to troubleshooting electrical is what was the last thing done before the problem showed up, or the last incident that happened, wreck, flood etc...

Old 10-29-2018, 09:36 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Thanks for the feed back guys. After speaking to him he said that there was a splice made in the back for his trailer wiring in the not so distant past.
He will start there and check the fuse box for indications of shorting or water damage.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:34 PM
P4IN COMM4NDO
Elder User
P4IN COMM4NDO is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by '88 E-350 View Post
I'd start at the wires near the back. Might have a bald spot and if they're loose they might be flopping around in the wind. If someone tapped into them for a trailer lighting connector that would be the first suspect.
not to steal the help here

but Iím having a similar issue.. should I just redo it all or should I somehow revert it as much as I can??

Old 11-09-2018, 02:54 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
All depends on the details. What's it doing, is your wiring modified or visibly damaged, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.