Hangovers, dirty mirrors, and leaf-spring rub - Wheel specs! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Hangovers, dirty mirrors, and leaf-spring rub - Wheel specs!

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 10-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation

Ugh... I went to Discount Tire today to talk wheels, and my head is swimming. My issue is ever since I installed my aftermarket rims, I can't see my mirrors through the weather slopped up from the road. Fat good it does to have mirrors covered with rain, road grime and snow. I thought I could just change the spec on the offset, but that was blown all to hell when I dug deeper on OEM wheel specs. 7" wide rim? 124.5mm hub (hubcentric)? +6.3mm offset? 8X170 bolt pattern alone thinned the available wheels, but I need a slide rule to figure out the offset or backspace on an upgraded wheel.

The "compatible" 16" aftermarket rims I went with had a +20mm offset - allegedly plenty of offset to keep the tires inside the fender. NOT! The aftermarket rims were 9" wide instead of 7" wide, so that works out to the rim sticking out 10mm (3/8") farther than stock... allegedly. 3/8" lateral move out of the fender sounds pretty minor to me... I'm not sure that's the whole move that made the mirrors unusable. I need to do some measuring.

Another issue - aftermarket rims need flat weights adhered to the inside of the rim, not clipped to the lip of the rim like the OEMs. Well... our front brake calipers scrape the balancing weights off a 16" aftermarket rim with a +20mm offset.

I want 18" rims for a number of reasons, but here are a couple of them:
The 16" rims with 265/75 tires look like balloons that fail to fill the fender well. An 18" rim with the same 265/75 tire profile I have now will look more appropriate.
Many 16" aftermarket rims don't fit our brake calipers.

If I bump my ultimate diameter up to 33" like I plan, that makes fitting the tires in the front fender well even more challenging.

My head hurts. How's yours?

Old 10-27-2018, 09:48 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
I run a 8” rim with 4.5” back space and 0 offset with 37” mud terrain tires and don’t get mud on my mirrors.

also, lead weights are lame, use the same thing semi trucks use.... balance beads. Never worry about tire out of balance again.

DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads

Old 10-27-2018, 10:01 PM
Boss73
Junior User
Boss73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I ran 35x12.50x16.5 for years! Finally got tired of the spray on the sides of my truck and installed some mud guards- I think they are husky molded brand! They work great.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:18 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
16” rim with 285’s fill the wheel wells quite nicely. I can help with the wheel off set stuff. I am already more confused then you Rich.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:32 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Factory wheel flares, Tugman..
Camo...awesome, brutha..
you know the material of said BB's? Now that i know the oz needed per tire
***edit** see their made of ceramic ***** and cant beat their pricing

Old 10-27-2018, 11:07 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Also have the option of the Centramatic wheel balancing disc’s, that will take away the worry of the stick on weights. Couple threads on those with very pleased results.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:21 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
I run a 8” rim with 4.5” back space and 0 offset with 37” mud terrain tires and don’t get mud on my mirrors.

also, lead weights are lame, use the same thing semi trucks use.... balance beads. Never worry about tire out of balance again.

DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads
I read up on the balancing beads, and saw all the training videos on them. I'm impressed with that technology, but I completely forgot about it. I still want the bigger rims... if possible... but the Dynabeads/centramatics make more sense than dealing with lame balance jobs by pimple-faced tire busters.

8"-wide rim? I haven't found those in 18" diameter yet. I'll keep looking.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:28 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
I run 17” rims, had 18”s back 2003 when my truck was new but didn’t like the tire selection at the time and switched.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:57 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Pulled the trigger too soon. Ordered the kit from link above, with shipping for 59.95
just found this..

Old 10-28-2018, 02:05 AM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
Old 10-28-2018, 08:53 AM
SRBF150
Elder User
SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.
Rich, I run 285/65/18's on American Racing 18x9 0 offset, have full lock to lock and they tuck. The next option that is a little taller/narrower is 275/70/18 however, the 285/75/16 spare that fits where it should is a suitable full size spare to the 285/65/18 so that's what I'm sticking with. I'll grab a topside pic to show fitment later. That said, you can clearly see the truck is dirty and there isn't much for spray up the fender. Also, I'm running the stock V code springs and I recall you have X so you'll have even more room.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:28 AM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
I went through that last year and was thoroughly confused. Finally, on the recommendation of another forum member, I found a set of 18" OEM 2004 Lariat wheels. They were made to fit the 99-04 trucks (they were offered in late 2004 on the trucks that shared our same wheel offset), they are hub centric, (aftermarket wheels are lug centric and after much study I found hub centric to be a superior mounting than lug centric) and they take 275/70/18s. (they are 8" wide) I am really happy with them, they did cost a bit more for used than Discount Tire aftermarket rims but to me it was well worth it. I am thinking about getting a 5th one for the spare. By the way Harley Davidson rims from late 2004 are the same. Here's my link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...18-wheels.html Be sure to check out mecdac's link in post 2 and Carguy's advice later in the thread which I heeded.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:37 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Pulled the trigger too soon. Ordered the kit from link above, with shipping for 59.95
just found this..
Do us a favor and post up how those work out after running them a few hundred miles.

I get mine done at the local truck shop and they dismount my tire to put the beads in and honestly I don’t know what brand or type they use but would like to do it myself in the future and had planned on buying the Dyna beads but yours are less expensive and my hunch is they are the same product. I am somewhat apprehensive about switching just because mine work perfect but they charge $40 a tire.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:14 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
I used balancing beads in my motorcycle (2008 Suzuki Hayabusa) for years. You can install them without removing the tires, but you have to remove the valve from the stem and it is time consuming to get them in with the application bottle.

Not sure about automotive tire valves, but on motorcycles you have to get a certain/specific valve that is designed to not get blocked by the beads. This could cause a no fill option if they obstructthe valve.

I will install the the rings on the truck one day and forego the beads, just personal preference since I have yet to try the rings. Although, the Subaru and VW may get beads next summer.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:15 PM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
Rich, I just noticed that you said there was only 3/8" more tire stickout on yours. Not sure about the Lariat wheels but I thought the extra inch was divided equally inside and out, which would mean 1/2" stickout. The tires would make a difference too though and the 275/70s are very square, they don't really bulge out like when I had the 285/16's on my 7" wheels. I haven't had the slopped up mirror problem, but I seldom drive in those conditions anyway. If you want I will set up a laser and see how they sit in relation to the fenders, just let me know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.