1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hangovers, dirty mirrors, and leaf-spring rub - Wheel specs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:51 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous

I will install the the rings on the truck one day and forego the beads, just personal preference since I have yet to try the rings. Although, the Subaru and VW may get beads next summer.
The rings have needs in them. It’s just a fancy way to use beads.
Main benifits is when you install new tires you already have the beads installed.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:12 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Holding a 4 foot level to the tire I get about 3/8" to 1/2" sticking out past the highest point in the fender surround, but this does not occur till I am about 2-3 inches down from the tread. All of the tread is within the fender.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Can't help with wheel/tyre issues but I ran dynabeads on 22' rims on my old Roush supercharged F150 & was very impressed with the results. I'm going to go with the Centramatic rings on this truck though as I consider it to be my forever truck & it's much easier to use the rings over trying to gather up the ceramic ***** when it's time to change tyres or get a puncture fixed.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:26 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 10-28-2018, 03:32 PM
lpzd
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
https://santafe.craigslist.org/wto/d/ford-f250-harley-davidson/6718608956.html
could opt for factory option

Old 10-28-2018, 06:35 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by lpzd
https://santafe.craigslist.org/wto/d/ford-f250-harley-davidson/6718608956.html
could opt for factory option
That is a really good deal

Old 10-31-2018, 10:00 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

Do us a favor and post up how those work out after running them a few hundred miles.

I get mine done at the local truck shop and they dismount my tire to put the beads in and honestly I don’t know what brand or type they use but would like to do it myself in the future and had planned on buying the Dyna beads but yours are less expensive and my hunch is they are the same product. I am somewhat apprehensive about switching just because mine work perfect but they charge $40 a tire.
tires getn a hot dose tomorrow...

Old 11-02-2018, 03:37 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
I know they are not 18s but I run 285/75-16 ATs on Ultra Type 164 16x8" wheels with a -6mm offset. No issues with sling onto the mirrors and no rubbing...

Old 11-12-2018, 05:40 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I went from a swimming head to an exploding head on this project, Every time I think I have this by the tail, another specification or piece of information sets me back.

Here's the question of the day: The manager at the tire place tells me aftermarket wheels are not hubcentric, so they install plastic hub rings to make it so. My understanding was hubcentric on our diesels was more to put the load on the hub, rather than worrying about centering and balancing alone. Do our 8 lugs take the whole load, or should I focus more on the OEM hubcentric wheels?

Old 11-12-2018, 06:11 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Tugly
I went from a swimming head to an exploding head on this project, Every time I think I have this by the tail, another specification or piece of information sets me back.

Here's the question of the day: The manager at the tire place tells me aftermarket wheels are not hubcentric, so they install plastic hub rings to make it so. My understanding was hubcentric on our diesels was more to put the load on the hub, rather than worrying about centering and balancing alone. Do our 8 lugs take the whole load, or should I focus more on the OEM hubcentric wheels?
I went through this and the answer is somewhat evasive depending on who you ask. Common sense though tells me that hub centric would support the load on the hub, lessening the chance of studs breaking or the wheel being off center causing a vibration. Also, lug centric wheels need to use the tapered "acorn" stlye nuts to center the holes on the studs. The nuts that come with our trucks are the flat, 2 piece ones that do nothing for centering, it is all done by the tight fit to the hub. They told me about the plastic hub rings which I was not too excited about, you can however order aluminum ones but they are about $100 for a set of four. Are they as good as a true hub centric wheel? I don't know, but it seems they would do the job, much like that tiny brass ring they give you with a circular saw blade. A lot of people run them so they probably work fine, but I wondered about people with wheel balance problems, if that is the cause and they just don't know it. I've always run an OEM wheel and never had balance or vibration issues. The 2004 Harley/SVT/Lariat wheels are pricey for sure but I am really happy I got them. Last time I looked on ebay there weren't as many for sale as when I bought mine. I know this doesn't really answer your question but my conclusion after much research was to stay with hub centric.

edit: here's a link to the AL hub rings, they explain the difference between plastic and AL: https://www.uswheeladapters.com/hub-rings/

Old 11-12-2018, 07:30 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Checked ebay just now and there are no sets of 4 available in any style. There is a place that sells new ones for $369 each free shipping for 4. I guess I was lucky to find my set for $1,050 shipped, with center caps. Might have to watch CL and ebay for a while, I'd like to pick up one more for a spare since they seem to be getting more scarce. If I hadn't been lucky enough to get my set I probably would've got aftermarkets but with AL centric rings.

https://www.finishlinewheels.com/FOR...04/A-03551U85/

Old 11-13-2018, 04:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
If it's really just a matter of centering for balance, I have found wheels with the 125mm hub bore - which is the OEM size. I also found hubs with 126mm hub bore, which is the worst thing one can get: 1mm is enough to let things get out of center, but not enough to fit a hub ring. A hub ring with a 0.5mm wall in plastic or aluminum won't hold up over time.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:50 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Thousands run lug-centric and tow heavy with no issues. I'm one of those and can tell no difference from OEM wheels to after market with balance. The After market 18X9's do tow better, steer easier, and look better so I'm not worried about the hub centric. My thought is it's cheaper for OEM to make one "precise" (albeit not a true interference fit on the hub) hole than 8. With proper torque, the wheels stay on the truck fine.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:11 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SRBF150
Thousands run lug-centric and tow heavy with no issues. I'm one of those and can tell no difference from OEM wheels to after market with balance. The After market 18X9's do tow better, steer easier, and look better so I'm not worried about the hub centric. My thought is it's cheaper for OEM to make one "precise" (albeit not a true interference fit on the hub) hole than 8. With proper torque, the wheels stay on the truck fine.

That's about what I figured, but I have learned better than to assume anything with Stinky. Since I do tow heavy in the mountains, I pay more attention to detail.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:22 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Rich,

When I went to 18's I purchased some 2" hub centric spacers from an Amazon vendor. I did have to do some machining on them as the hub centric diameter that fit the wheel wasn't long enough to engage the wheel....in effect making them lug centric. And, if I had not machined the lip deeper (in essence making a 1 3/4" spacer) the wheel run-out would have been terrible....be sure you fit a hub-centric wheel or spacer.

IMO the clamping force of the lugs is what is carrying the weight.

Quick Reply: Hangovers, dirty mirrors, and leaf-spring rub - Wheel specs!