Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3 leaking lots of oil

Old 10-28-2018, 03:22 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
I was thinking more like the flange you don't want to loose but an O ring in there wouldn't help any either.
‘If you use the Nugget you have to push the flange in the pan, the o ring is on the inside of the pan with the stock design.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:35 PM
'99F250
Senior User
'99F250 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post

‘If you use the Nugget you have to push the flange in the pan, the o ring is on the inside of the pan with the stock design.
So then the flange just sits in the pan? I take it it's metal and won't get sucked into the oil system?

Finally got a chance to look a little more and got some pics. Front connection of the oil cooler is caked with old grease, so that could very well be the culprit. But right below the crank is a lot of fresh oil, possible main seal or pan gasket? I also got a good pic of the dipstick, it's definitely been leaking, but it doesn't look like a ton. That will have to be done in the future..
Sorry for crappy picture quality, cheap phone camera doesn't like to focus

Old 10-28-2018, 05:52 PM
axmrdr
Senior User
axmrdr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just recently mine has started leaking worse, it's always leaked a little. I'm working 72 hour a week and don't have time to fool with it on my only day off. You are inspiring me to clean it off and start looking for mine. I'm keeping an interested eye on this thread.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:21 PM
'99F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
Here's a link to a current thread on the subject, there have been many over the years.
Dipstick oil leak
Looking back in this thread on post #12, I'm really liking that weld on adapter, but nobody sells one. I may have to just make my own. Has anybody else done this?

Old 10-28-2018, 06:43 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
I’d start with a date with the pressure washer and then check it daily.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:44 PM
'99F250
Senior User
Ok so I took it for a short drive to try and figure out the vibrating problem that I have (if anyone has an idea go here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-owner-7.html) and I checked the oil cooler and dipstick adapter when I got back. The dipstick adapter is definitely a contributor, as there was a small pool of oil hanging on the pan under the dipstick, I had wiped everything with a rag beforehand.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:13 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Well, if the adapter is leaking you know that needs to be addressed. I still say DIY car wash or pressure washer and engine degreaser. Personally I really like Walmart’s (Supertech) engine degreaser. Clean everything up like you’re going to eat off it, then find the other leaks.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:29 PM
'99F250
Senior User
Yep I agree. As of now my plan is get to the pressure washer when my buddy is available, let the truck cool a bit, I currently have a few cans of the heavy duty GUNK degreaser, i'll use that, then wash the crap out of it and just sit under it while it's running and watch. Hopefully I'll be able to do that this week sometime.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:58 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Anything that's wet and not gunked up is a more active leak than parts that are junked up. A slow leak gathers dust and becomes a grungy mess, a fast leak washes the dust away and will be cleaner.

From the photo it looks like there's a bolt-on seal housing or something like that right behind the crank pulley, that mating surface appears to be the source of a leak.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:09 PM
Josh Ross
Junior User
Josh Ross is starting off with a positive reputation.
Deep sigh...I need to start knocking out oil leaks...as usual, I couldn't do it without all the help and info here!

Old 10-29-2018, 03:17 PM
PrescottIce
Senior User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
I've found it helpful to do the carwash/pressure wash thing with simple green or your fave, then hit the suspect areas with carb cleaner or electrical cleaner, wipe, and repeat until the areas are oil-free. After it dries, I tie, bungie, tape, or rubber-band a heavy duty paper towel (the blue ones work well) to whatever areas I think might be leaking... it keeps a leak from traveling and getting you confused on where it's actually coming from. Obviously, be careful where you spray that stuff as it can be unkind to some sealants, paint, and rubber/plastic... and be sure the paper towels don't blow off and get wrapped in the fan, belt, or catch fire on the exhaust.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:27 PM
'99F250
Senior User
Originally Posted by PrescottIce View Post
I've found it helpful to do the carwash/pressure wash thing with simple green or your fave, then hit the suspect areas with carb cleaner or electrical cleaner, wipe, and repeat until the areas are oil-free. After it dries, I tie, bungie, tape, or rubber-band a heavy duty paper towel (the blue ones work well) to whatever areas I think might be leaking... it keeps a leak from traveling and getting you confused on where it's actually coming from. Obviously, be careful where you spray that stuff as it can be unkind to some sealants, paint, and rubber/plastic... and be sure the paper towels don't blow off and get wrapped in the fan, belt, or catch fire on the exhaust.
Mike, I like that paper towel idea, I may have to try that...

Old 10-30-2018, 10:56 PM
'99F250
Senior User
Ok so I was able to degrease and wash the bottom of the engine, I wasn't able to get the oil cooler up front as good, I'm going to have to scrape that off, but I was able to clean the dipstick adapter and front crank pulley pretty good. In the short time span I had I was able to get the dipstick to leak some, not much up front though. Hopefully I'll be able to get more time to clean it better and keep an eye on it.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:12 PM
PrescottIce
Senior User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by '99F250 View Post
Mike, I like that paper towel idea, I may have to try that...
I've seen oil travel UP a water pump, between airflow and vibration it can do some strange things.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 PM
'99F250
Senior User
Ok so I know for sure the dipstick adapter is leaking. It's probably the main culprit but I don't know for sure yet. Either way, it needs to be fixed. While I really don't want to drop $300 on the nugget, it seems to be the second most effective way of fixing it, the first being welding one on the pan but I don't think I'd attempt that in-truck. Are there any alternatives? I don't want to just replace the O-ring, the PO told me he did that already and it's leaking again. If nothing, I'll just have to get the nugget.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.