CD4E Slips when starting in Drive, OK in 1 or 2.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 02:24 PM
mrothwell
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD4E Slips when starting in Drive, OK in 1 or 2.

I have a 2002 Ford Escape. The transmission started slipping when starting out in Drive, but if I put it in 1st, it doesn't slip, then I can manually shift to 2nd, drive, etc... It doesn't feel like it slips at all once it's moving, and I pulled a long 6% grade at 65 mph. When it started, there was a box around the 1, regardless of what gear was selected.

This lead me to the Range Position sensor. I pulled it, and found that a prior owner had obviously kludged the connector (looked like jb-weld on it). I noticed that at least one of the wires to the connector was definitely not making a connection I replaced the sensor and the connector. Now the display always shows the correct gear, and the 1 does not always have the box around it. Now, it still didn't start out in Drive, but once it's moving, it shifts up and down correctly. I just have to put it in 1st to get it moving. Because it doesn't slip going down the highway and it does shift well manually, I cant figure out what to look at next. Still seems like a sensor or electrical issue.

I put a good OBD2 scanner on it and found P0731 and P0732 (incorrect gear ratio 1 and 2 ) codes. These codes didn't show up on my cheaper scan tool earlier. Thinking that these codes got set when the bad Range Position Sensor/connector was on it, I pulled the battery cables for a couple hours to do a full reset on the computer. Now, it seems to be maybe a little better, especially if I shut the OD off. But it's still slipping when starting in Drive. After driving for about 15 miles, codes did not return.

This still seems electrical to me, or solenoid, etc... Does anyone have any ideas of what I can check next.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:36 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
A failed forward sprag in these can fail and when that happens you wont have engagement in drive, in manual low and 2nd the coast clutches are applied and support the sprag assembly and it engages in gear.

If your range sensor is reading good and the computer is operating the trans properly I would suspect the sprag, I have seem several of them fail.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:24 AM
mrothwell
New User
Is there any way to test to verify that it is the sprag vs being an electronic issue? I dont want to R&R the trans just to find that I still have an issue.

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:22 AM
mrothwell
New User
Here's the latest information after I finally had some time to drive it. After the reset, I've driven it about 15 miles, 10 with few stops. No codes were set. It still will not start moving in Drive, if I put it in 1 or 2 it starts off, sometimes the way it should and sometimes it slips and grabs, but not too bad. When going down the road at 40 mph and I put my foot into it hard, rather than shift down it free revs. If I speed up normally it shifts right. Once in Drive or overdrive, it doesn't feel like it's slipping.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:09 AM
Paxpcls
New User
Any Resolution To this issue?

Originally Posted by mrothwell
Here's the latest information after I finally had some time to drive it. After the reset, I've driven it about 15 miles, 10 with few stops. No codes were set. It still will not start moving in Drive, if I put it in 1 or 2 it starts off, sometimes the way it should and sometimes it slips and grabs, but not too bad. When going down the road at 40 mph and I put my foot into it hard, rather than shift down it free revs. If I speed up normally it shifts right. Once in Drive or overdrive, it doesn't feel like it's slipping.
What was the resolution to this issue, I am having the same problem?

Old 10-07-2021, 09:08 AM
mrothwell
New User
Originally Posted by Paxpcls
What was the resolution to this issue, I am having the same problem?
I ended up finding a transmission in a wrecking yard and replaced it. I still have the old trans sitting in my garage, I need to get rid of it.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:59 PM
MintFord
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrothwell
I ended up finding a transmission in a wrecking yard and replaced it. I still have the old trans sitting in my garage, I need to get rid of it.
My wife's 01 suddenly did the same thing at 241,000. The direct drum broke and caused the forward clutch to burn up. It's a common problem with these when the valve body gets some wear and causes pressure spikes. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the transmission.