1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to my transmission?

Old 10-24-2018, 08:58 PM
dx3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happened to my transmission?

2005 F350 DRW w/ 250k miles

Took a 6 hour round trip drive yesterday towing a single car hauler. The 3 hours back home the car hauler had a mid sized car on it. Entire drive went without incident until I was about 10 mins from home. I was cruising on the turnpike doing about 70mph when all of a sudden I noticed the truck started acting like I was in neutral. As I was pushing down on the gas pedal it was revving but was as if the transmission wasn’t engaged. I checked my cluster and no lights on and tranny was not overheating. I managed to get to the side of the turnpike and shut the truck off. When I put it in park it engaged Park. Tow/haul started flashing. Restarted the truck and tried to put it in any of the D gears and nothing. Put it in reverse and nothing. Put it in park and it engaged park. After i turned it off the first time the tow/hail light did not flash again. At no time did i have a check engine light. Got out fo truck and looked underneath. Hoses looked fine. Driveshaft looked fine. No burning smells. Let truck sit for 15 mins and started it up again. Tried to get it in gear and it was always as if it was in neutral no matter what gear. Put the truck in 4wd and that didn’t help. Called AAA who wouldn’t take the car hauler but they took the truck. Thankfully had a friend pick up the car hauler.

The car hauler isnt a large one, and was just towing a regular car so was nowhere close to pushing the towing limits for the transmission.

I had it towed to my mechanic but hes so backed up he said it may be next week before he can even look at it. It’s killing me not knowing!

Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 AM
burnthelight88
Laughing Gas
Sounds like a bad tranny. They'll still engage park even if they go bad. Wouldn't have to overheat to go bad either. If its never been rebuilt and you've got 250k on it, youre not doing too bad. None of the trannys of that vintage are known for being very good. Rebuild is gonna run you about 3k I would estimate.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:27 AM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Seems kinda odd that it would go with zero prior symptoms. Someone get our transmission guy over here.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:34 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by johnfist
Seems kinda odd that it would go with zero prior symptoms.
I keep hearing that people expect notice when something breaks. I don't remember anywhere in the transmission specifications that it needed to provide written notice at least 24 hours prior to something breaking. Maybe we should have included that.

This transmission had something mechanical break inside. It could be a shaft, a drum, etc. What type of symptoms would you expect to happen? When a shaft breaks it works one second and then it's broken the next second. If you were to tear the trans down before the failure you probably could find that crack that would cause the failure. How often do you want to tear the trans down to look for imminent failures? How could the computer detect that this is happening and warn the driver?

Old 10-25-2018, 08:35 AM
kurthb
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"I don't remember anywhere in the transmission specifications that it needed to provide written notice at least 24 hours prior to something breaking. Maybe we should have included that." LMFAO!

Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 AM
Batman7777
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tranny inside (valve body), Shift cable (but it did go into park) or Torque Converter?

Old 10-25-2018, 09:36 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Originally Posted by dx3

.....Tow/haul started flashing.........

.....At no time did i have a check engine light...
That flashing T/H light is your transmission's Check Engine Light.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:52 AM
Batman7777
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure he checked the tranny fluid level, color and smell.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:51 AM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
Ah, the smell test.

Something you see every liberal do while at the used car dealer.

— Dave

Old 10-25-2018, 10:51 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
Yup, until the codes are read it's all guessing.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:01 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
Honestly should be a self destruct light, everytime mine has come on its always involved money and transmission destruction, nothing simple.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:17 AM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I keep hearing that people expect notice when something breaks. I don't remember anywhere in the transmission specifications that it needed to provide written notice at least 24 hours prior to something breaking. Maybe we should have included that.

This transmission had something mechanical break inside. It could be a shaft, a drum, etc. What type of symptoms would you expect to happen? When a shaft breaks it works one second and then it's broken the next second. If you were to tear the trans down before the failure you probably could find that crack that would cause the failure. How often do you want to tear the trans down to look for imminent failures? How could the computer detect that this is happening and warn the driver?
Haha, while that would be a great feature, it's just been my (limited) experience with transmissions. Mostly older GM or Honda transmissions. Haven't had one immediately fail without any warning signs.

Had a late 90s F350 fail once, only thing that worked was reverse. That was a fun day.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:24 AM
dx3
Junior User
Thank you gentlemen for your responses. If you recall, several months back I went through an issue of a mechanic taking my truck from me after doing work I did not approve. After he destroyed it when the court ordered him to return it, I spent over $3000 fixing the stuff he most likely damaged. So to have to spend another $3000 on this thing kind of stings. I’ve basically spent the value of the truck in the past three months which does not seem like a worthwhile financial move. This truck is really really kicking my ***. Or more so my bank account!

Old 10-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Batman7777
Tranny inside (valve body),
Yes, something inside the trans. A shaft, a drum, gearset, something like that. I can't be the valve body.

Shift cable (but it did go into park)
If it were the shift cable it wouldn't go into park.

Torque Converter?
There is a slight chance it's the torque converter. It's probably a shaft or a drum.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:31 PM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had an '08 that failed instantly and I coasted to the side of the road. A shaft broke out of the center of a drum. IIRC, it was called the coast drum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happened to my transmission?