1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Boat is put to bed... it's Stinky time. Head Unit!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 07:48 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
i posted the tablet install, because both UcaN and Prescott had mentioned it..read a few posts up.
Yea I saw that. It is just a thing of the past. Now they have headunits out that have Android on it. Much better than Android Auto. These name brand companies like Kenwood, Pioneer, etc just need to partner up with Android and build a better headunit. They are 10 years behind pretty much in the tech department.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:54 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
This is all great feedback. I'm a bit of an electronics guy, so setting up an amp for my phone wouldn't be a big deal... but I want the bigger screen of the in-dash unit (not buying an Imax-inspired Galaxy Tab A phone). I agree that the **** limitation narrows the field to products that throw much of the rest of my list in the shredder... but physical buttons will do.

My current point of focus is the Kenwood Excelon DMX905S. When I shop for things of this nature, sometimes the quickest way to thin the herd is to look at the back of the device. No GPS antenna input or AV input (for my Sirius receiver) puts the kibosh on any further review.

One might wonder why I'm not looking at Pumpkin, Joying, and Boss full-blown Androids. They don't update over time. Whatever Android version comes with the unit, it is forever. Who here wants an Android 4.4 (KitKat) unit or iPhony 5 in the dash? That's what today's stuff will feel like in 5 years. I just want something that interfaces with whatever new tech lands in my pocket years from now. I also want to hear some nice-sounding music... NOT an egg-timer ticking on it's obsolescence. Besides... I'm commuting - not computing.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:58 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Ya really..i got my pioneer in 15'. Thought it was the next best thing to sliced bread. Has everything..dvd, cd, aux, plays movies, BT...etc. But now, im thinking how damn long it sat on the shelf, considering the technology that i figured WAS already out in 15'...owell, between the radio, 8 gauges and a tablet running the other sensors, ill keep the "important" look goin on with passengers..lol

Old 10-25-2018, 08:25 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
This is all great feedback. I'm a bit of an electronics guy, so setting up an amp for my phone wouldn't be a big deal... but I want the bigger screen of the in-dash unit (not buying an Imax-inspired Galaxy Tab A phone). I agree that the **** limitation narrows the field to products that throw much of the rest of my list in the shredder... but physical buttons will do.

My current point of focus is the Kenwood Excelon DMX905S. When I shop for things of this nature, sometimes the quickest way to thin the herd is to look at the back of the device. No GPS antenna input or AV input (for my Sirius receiver) puts the kibosh on any further review.

One might wonder why I'm not looking at Pumpkin, Joying, and Boss full-blown Androids. They don't update over time. Whatever Android version comes with the unit, it is forever. Who here wants a Android 4.4 (KitKat) unit or iPhony 5 in the dash? That's what today's stuff will feel like in 5 years. I just want something that interfaces with whatever new tech lands in my pocket years from now. I also want to hear some nice-sounding music... NOT an egg-timer ticking on it's obsolescence. Besides... I'm commuting - not computing.
curious why you require the gps antenna input if you will have android auto?

Old 10-25-2018, 08:40 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Tugly

One might wonder why I'm not looking at Pumpkin, Joying, and Boss full-blown Androids. They don't update over time. Whatever Android version comes with the unit, it is forever. Who here wants a Android 4.4 (KitKat) unit or iPhony 5 in the dash? That's what today's stuff will feel like in 5 years. I just want something that interfaces with whatever new tech lands in my pocket years from now. I also want to hear some nice-sounding music... NOT an egg-timer ticking on it's obsolescence. Besides... I'm commuting - not computing.
You can update them IIRC you just have to root them. But that is kinda stupid to say that as even basic headunits get upgraded every year with newer tech. It's technology. Why do you have to have the newest thing each year? It's just a headunit. Not your phone. I am running Android 8.0 and it does everything I need it to do and more. The only time I will upgrade it is if it fails or something. Nothing wrong with the sound either. Well I guess I can't really compare cause I have speakers and sub hooked up to external amps. Sounds the exact same when I had it on my Kenwood headunit. You gotta keep in mind this new tech still works on older Iphones/Androids too.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:12 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by L-ight
Yea I saw that. It is just a thing of the past. Now they have headunits out that have Android on it. Much better than Android Auto. These name brand companies like Kenwood, Pioneer, etc just need to partner up with Android and build a better headunit. They are 10 years behind pretty much in the tech department.
The idea is to have one device - your phone. The Japanese have this nailed in most respects, it's their phone, TV, Internet, jukebox, navigation system, radio, rail pass, parking pass, apartment key, debit/credit cards, rewards/loyalty cards, their entire wallet for that matter. Make it the security to your car and even the ignition as well. The phone can already do everything, all that is needed is a relatively simple vehicle-side transciever and amplifier. There's no need for the chunky, expensive, outdated infrastructure in and on your dash.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:20 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
The idea is to have one device - your phone. The Japanese have this nailed in most respects, it's their phone, TV, Internet, jukebox, navigation system, radio, rail pass, parking pass, apartment key, debit/credit cards, rewards/loyalty cards, their entire wallet for that matter. Make it the security to your car and even the ignition as well. The phone can already do everything, all that is needed is a relatively simple vehicle-side transciever and amplifier. There's no need for the chunky, expensive, outdated infrastructure in and on your dash.
You have a point there sir, but what about Navigation? I guess it will eventually just be heads up display on your windshield but we are still a bit away from that.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Originally Posted by L-ight
You have a point there sir, but what about Navigation? I guess it will eventually just be heads up display on your windshield but we are still a bit away from that.
"Siri, take me to Best Buy in North Scottsdale, Arizona."

Follow the audio prompts.

I did that via a BT helmet communicator without issues for 5 years on various motorcycles, even doing cross-country trips like that. I did eventually put a mount on my dash so I could see and manage the route, if I chose to.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Yeah baby! That's what I want! Something has total and complete control of everything in my day to day life...........lost.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:28 PM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
I find it stunning that the automakers haven't figured out what seems to be common knowledge to some of you guys on here. I can't believe they are still stupid enough to offer radios. I'll bet most of the engineers and execs at these companies still have flip phones!

Old 10-25-2018, 01:55 PM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by liquidlounge
I find it stunning that the automakers haven't figured out what seems to be common knowledge to some of you guys on here. I can't believe they are still stupid enough to offer radios. I'll bet most of the engineers and execs at these companies still have flip phones!
Not sure if that is sarcasm... Sheldon moment.

I listen to local radio everyday on my commute. And mp3s off of the USB or SD card on the stereo. Free radio reaches more people than any other media.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dan V
Yeah baby! That's what I want! Something has total and complete control of everything in my day to day life...........lost.
Riiiiight. Because if you use a smartphone for anything, you automatically abandon all conscious thought and surrender your right to deviate, ignore, or disobey the master - I think it's written in the Terms of Use and End User License Agreement.

If you still pull out a paper map for everywhere you need to go, you're livin' free, man!

Old 10-25-2018, 02:53 PM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Do some of you actually think that 99.9% (over 3 and under 75) of the population are unfamiliar with the capabilities of the current crop of smart phones?

Old 10-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I just don't like having all of my eggs in one basket with a smart phone. I prefer having a head unit with stand alone GPS that works when out of cell signal. I prefer to have a wallet separate from a smart phone, because if I happen to be unfortunate enough to lose one, I still have the other.

Having one device to do everything is convenient, until that one device stops working, falls in the lake or is stolen...

I am a tech guy and love the advancements in technology, but sometimes I want my different devices that were designed to do different things separate. If I were going to change out my JVC head unit, I would go with one of the Android devices that L-ight has posted. To me, that is a happy medium between having enough and not having too much in a head unit. When I bought my JVC I wanted DVD, GPS navigation and camera accessibility while moving. I got that and it has been great. I would like to have Forscan Lite or TP on the display, but I have a tablet that I sometimes use for that, so the JVC will stay.

Anyway, to each their own and I hope Rich can find that elusive device to fit his needs.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:44 PM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Technology is fine until it isn't.
I've made a career out of working on broken electrical components (and installing them).
My Harley has a carb because I can fix that just about anywhere, Sensors break as well all know too well. Can't fix them 80 miles from nowhere.
I'm still old school regarding my wallet. Still carry cash, and a debit and credit cards. Use cash for all of the small things. Can't get over all of the folks using debit cards to buy a coke or candy bar. I carry cash so I have the freedom of giving money to the kids, throw in the flower pool when someone's wife is sick, tip a waitress etc... I use the debit card when paying for larger amounts like groceries, tires, etc... Use the credit card for gas and pay the bill every month for the points.
I like gadgets, just don't like having to trust any single one to do everything.
Phones are pretty amazing nowadays but a simple slip of the fingers can break one.
I agree with you Sous, I don't want my phone to have too much power over my life or be too large a liability to lose. You said it, "to each their own."

Quick Reply: Boat is put to bed... it's Stinky time. Head Unit!