1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Boat is put to bed... it's Stinky time. Head Unit!

Old 10-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by roostercrows
I too am interested in upgrading my head unit from the stock one so I this thread comes at the perfect time. My main concerns being hands free calling and a GPS system.

Hey Dan V, could a FM booster not have increased the reception?
Installed one...still terrible.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:47 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I too have a Pioneer NEX. It has android auto and therefore does not need GPS capability. AA uses the GPS on your phone as you are well aware. Mine also has 2 camera inputs. I believe it has a usb port on front and back and also supports memory card. It does have a CD player, but it is hidden behind the screen so it doesn't take up valuable screen space. It also has a Mute button. It does not have a volume ***, but does have volume buttons. I have been happy with it. There are newer ones out that do not require a physical cable to connect AA you can not connect with Wifi.

This is my 3rd Pioneer radio and I have no complaints.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:28 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverhks
My constructive comment of the day...

I don't know what's hot in head units currently but Crutchfield is usually a good place to start. Their site will allow you to see what's out there.
I even end up ordering from them more often than not.
Agreed. Great place to look and great customer service.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:35 AM
Joshua Dishong
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck on #4...there was a sony unit that still had a **** last year when I replaced mine, but it didn't meet the rest of my needs...I also went with a pioneer...it was a 2330-NEX

Old 10-24-2018, 11:00 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly

My list:
  1. Quick boot time. Many older styles (like mine) take 1/2 a minute before the backup camera works.
  2. Really good sound quality... lest the music be lame.
  3. Android Auto compatible.
  4. Volume **** with push-to-mute. There are times when I have to shut that thing up fast, and I don't want to fumble with a touch screen or a remote button.
  5. No disk. Modern computers don't have disc drives, I don't have CDs, DVDs fit on SD cards, so the mechanical hardware for that is a waste of space.
  6. GPS capability, with Bluetooth to my phone to download routes/alerts from Waze or the like.
  7. Backup camera input - more than one would be nice.
  8. WiFi, so I can update in my driveway (I have good WiFi signal in the driveway) - or maybe use an IP camera on my trailer.
  9. Good antenna/reception for WiFi and FM/AM. I drive over mountain passes a lot, and traffic/road condition notifications are sent via radio.
  10. As big a screen as will fit (usually about 7")
  11. Good cooling system - it's a computer after all... and it's in a hot dash.
Uh... USB-C port would be nice, since that's where everything is headed now.
So far, I'm happy with the eBay unit from wanaco100 that others here have recommended. GPS, WiFi, BT, two camera inputs (haven't tested the AUX cam in yet), the backup cam works before boot is complete (haven't tested it to see how early it will work), runs Torque Pro and Forscan, has a volume ****, mute button (separate from the volume ****), two USB inputs, allegedly works with steering wheel controls (I don't have this sorted yet). Mine has a DVD though I ordered it without, my guess is he was out of non-DVD units and just shipped me what he had. GPS works well, currently using Sygic (product of TomTom) for offline availability of maps. I can't determine audio quality as I still have stock 16-year old speakers.

I can't comment on cooling or reception, it hasn't been hot since I installed it and our radio stations aren't the best here to begin with (I don't listen to radio anyways). WiFi seems okay, I get decent enough signal in my driveway through a couple walls. I can't determine if it's Android Auto compatible, but that's another thing I wouldn't use anyways. No USB-C. Not thrilled with the dimming, but that's a common complaint across the Android head unit spectrum. I haven't figured out how to make it start up on my preferred screen in Torque Pro, or even to have it automagically start up in TP... that's probably just a matter of time playing with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Excurs...53.m1438.l2649

Old 10-24-2018, 11:28 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a Pumkpin Headunit. Basically an Android tablet. Love it. 1 sec boot time. Sounds great though I have a two amps. One for my speakers and one for my subwoofer. Have a reverse cam too. Has GPS. Connect to internet through my phone's hotspot. Radio sounds perfectly fine. It does have HD radio but you have to purchase and extra device for like $50.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079N9XDFT/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079N9XDFT/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Took a little sanding of the dash kit with a dremel, but otherwise was great. They have a newer version out.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:56 AM
UcaN
Senior User
I installed a Pioneer NEX unit, sound quality is great. It has a dedicated Mute button so all i have to do is Press Mute. Although it has a CD slot and has never been used, it doesn't bother me as it sits buried behind the Screen. Playing music via bluetooth is actually very good. The unit itself takes about 30 seconds to power up, but the rear camera will come on as soon as i put the truck in reverse. The only thing i don't like and have disabled is Android Auto as i live on the border and many times i get messages from Mexican customers and AA tries to talk in some jiberish language i dont understand. jajajaja

As of late i have been playing with the idea of mounting a tablet as a dedicated Head Unit. Seems like everything is going that way. I used to run a dedicated GPS unit on my dirt bike and now the way to go is with a smart phone, a gps app with downloaded maps to the phone. Plus side going this route: Faster, more resolution, bigger screen and a crap load more memory.

I am sure there is gotta be a way to mount a tablet to our dash somehow.....

Old 10-24-2018, 12:00 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by UcaN
I installed a Pioneer NEX unit, sound quality is great. It has a dedicated Mute button so all i have to do is Press Mute. Although it has a CD slot and has never been used, it doesn't bother me as it sits buried behind the Screen. Playing music via bluetooth is actually very good. The unit itself takes about 30 seconds to power up, but the rear camera will come on as soon as i put the truck in reverse. The only thing i don't like and have disabled is Android Auto as i live on the border and many times i get messages from Mexican customers and AA tries to talk in some jiberish language i dont understand. jajajaja

As of late i have been playing with the idea of mounting a tablet as a dedicated Head Unit. Seems like everything is going that way. I used to run a dedicated GPS unit on my dirt bike and now the way to go is with a smart phone, a gps app with downloaded maps to the phone. Plus side going this route: Faster, more resolution, bigger screen and a crap load more memory.

Or just get a headunit like I mentioned above and you don't have to mount anything extra.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:04 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by UcaN

Though it was several years ago, I toyed with this idea and spent some time and money on it. What was lacking (at the time) was a reliable means of connecting audio to the onboard amp - the few solutions present at the time either lacked sound quality or were far from seamless when faced with multiple reconnects, as when one is out doing errands. If things have changed on that front, I would try it again as I like the "one device" theory.

Ideally, an onboard amp with bluetooth and USB connectivity, and a wireless steering wheel control for at least volume/mute/mode. If not integrated into the amp, then a module between the phone/tablet and amp that would accomplish the same ends.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:25 PM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
Though it was several years ago, I toyed with this idea and spent some time and money on it. What was lacking (at the time) was a reliable means of connecting audio to the onboard amp - the few solutions present at the time either lacked sound quality or were far from seamless when faced with multiple reconnects, as when one is out doing errands. If things have changed on that front, I would try it again as I like the "one device" theory.

Ideally, an onboard amp with bluetooth and USB connectivity, and a wireless steering wheel control for at least volume/mute/mode. If not integrated into the amp, then a module between the phone/tablet and amp that would accomplish the same ends.
Historically the volume controls on tablet screens are not the best. There may be an app that could allow for minor changes in volume.... A couple of amps would be mandatory.. . One anyway.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:42 PM
mcnance865
Mountain Pass
I have the Alpine ilx-107. It is strictly for Apple CarPlay, but it does allow you to do it over bluetooth. It actually creates its own wifi signal to send to the phone. The sound quality is excellent over this bluetooth/wifi system. When I get in the truck, the head unit itself comes on in just a few seconds, but it takes the car play feature about 20-30 seconds before it actually resumes playing where it left off. If just turning on AM/FM radio, it starts as soon as the unit powers up. I have figured out that if you turn bluetooth or wifi off while out of the truck then it will reset, otherwise it will resume right where you left off. I really do not like that there is no volume **** as it is a pain to turn the volume down because I have to look over and make sure I am actually hitting the volume buttons while bouncing around in my truck (rides like a kangaroo on a pogo stick). I say all this because I think the head unit makers are coming out with better stuff and there will be a solution shortly that powers up quickly and does everything over bluetooth and/or wifi and sounds great at the same time.

Tugly, I know you specifically said you need android auto, but I felt this showed that at least manufacturers are working on making what we want. I bought this head unit at the beginning of April, so maybe something has since come out that will have everything you need. As was suggested earlier, Crutchfield will essentially let you do a side by side comparison of basically every make and model out there. Good resource for sure to narrow down the search.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:46 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Nexus 7 tablet

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-powerstroke-interior-discussion/558945-dash-android-nexus-7-install.html#/topics/558945

Old 10-24-2018, 09:43 PM
liquidlounge
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
You will have a tough time finding something that fulfills all of your requirements. A couple of the Sony’s would come close...I am thinking volume **** and decent real world reception here. I love broadcast radio for baseball when I am on the road or lake, so sensitivity is important to me and truthfully, if you beat the OEM radio in this department, you are doing well. Traditionally, the Pioneers have great sound and reception and I think this is still true, but you are not getting a volume ****. I just replaced a $500+ JL source unit on my boat with a $125.00 Alpine single DIN and I am blown away how good this cheap radio is in all aspects that matter to me. The double din Alpines are pretty expensive though.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:20 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-powerstroke-interior-discussion/558945-dash-android-nexus-7-install.html#/topics/558945
That is the thing of the past lol. They have Android Headunits now. Pumkpin, Joying, and many others. No need to go hacking away, adding several other devices to have it work with your speakers, etc.

https://www.joyingauto.com/

https://www.autopumpkin.com/

Old 10-25-2018, 07:10 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by L-ight
That is the thing of the past lol. They have Android Headunits now. Pumkpin, Joying, and many others. No need to go hacking away, adding several other devices to have it work with your speakers, etc.

https://www.joyingauto.com/

https://www.autopumpkin.com/
i posted the tablet install, because both UcaN and Prescott had mentioned it..read a few posts up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boat is put to bed... it's Stinky time. Head Unit!