Sponsored by: Moser

auto-crossing a 79 Ranger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Newkid97
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto-crossing a 79 Ranger?

Was just wondering if I have any fellow lunatics who want to or have already built this generation of truck with high power and street handling in mind. I dont plan on actually crosing mine, but will be on the streets thrashing from time to time, and was wondering what solutions people had for suspension and steering. Been planning on a 416-418 ci LS3 and ~18 pinds of boost, with either a 5 or 6 speed manual. Open to ideas!

Old 10-22-2018, 06:09 PM
RalphXL
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A Crown Vic frame and suspension swap would probably be the most cost effective. Rack and Pinion steering, bigger brakes, and independent rear suspension.
Not sure why you would put the LS in it though. A similarly boosted 5.0 coyote will make a ton of HP. Being that the Crown Vics came with a mod motor the Coyote might be a direct bolt in too.

Jess

Old 10-22-2018, 06:18 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Velocity's "Speed is the New Black" built a '70 autocrosser.

How? They dropped the cab, doghouse, and lightened bed on a The Roadster Shop frame.... 9-inch rear, IFS front end.

1967-72 Ford F100 Truck FAST TRACK chassis - Roadster Shop Roadster Shop

Pony up!!!

Old 10-23-2018, 09:18 AM
SSStang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-23-2018, 10:30 AM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
you can autocross anything...my truck drives in parking lots all the time.

if you want to be competitive you need a different platform.

If you don't already realize this, then you should only plan to do it for fun.

High power rwd vehicles with poor wt bias are never good in tight turns.

If you want a dyno queen then the truck would be just fine.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Dave145
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wrong forum to talk about an ls3 swap on. Go buy a car and leave an innocent truck to someone who wants one.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:49 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave145
Wrong forum to talk about an ls3 swap on. Go buy a car and leave an innocent truck to someone who wants one.
This is not a helpfull comment and I don't believe it goes with the flow of this entire ford truck forum. It's cool that you like keeping your trucks all ford but that may not be for everyone and we should all be open to everyones deisire to make their truck their own.

I have autocrossed a truck before. The lower you make it the better and you'll need some sort of locker or spool. I had a posi and it still didn't work all that well but when I went to a spool it was a lot better. You will not be competitive but you sure will have a blast abusing your tires!

Old 10-23-2018, 07:55 PM
1STFOX
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Better handling

I'm not planning on autocross with my 78, but I did want better handling.
I lowered the front and rear, then added front and rear sway bars! 100% better!

Old 10-23-2018, 09:20 PM
buckin69bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I bet that /\ is a blast to drive.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 AM
hail destroyer
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heres an idea: Leave the plastic and aluminum electronics and sensor infested LS/Coyote etc "swaps" out of the equation, and build a super reliable, easy to maintain torque monster MANLY, big boy engine, like a 351C with quench chamber heads, solid boss-spec cam or roller, mechanical FI or tunnel ram, connected to a toploader 4 speed. Build a stroked big block 429 SCJ/460 and go eat LS and coyotes for lunch for half the money, no special fab work and dollars-less maintenance.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:17 AM
hail destroyer
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by somethingclever

High power rwd vehicles with poor wt bias are never good in tight turns..
This is how we learned to "drift" insanely overpowered, jacked up and nose heavy muscle cars in the 80's LONG before punks like Ken Block were even born. The only way to live to tell about approaching an apex and an oak tree at a buck twenty in a poor handling high horsepower rig is to turn into it, and get the back tires smoking, then countersteer as required......or die. Maybe not the safest way through a turn, but definitely...the MOST fun.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:05 AM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave145
I agree.

Dentsides are the least likely generation of vehicle on the planet that needs an engine transplant outside the list of factory options. I drive all sorts of interesting vehicles every week. Very seldom do I get the pleasure of driving a 300/351/390/429/460 powered anything. Driving an ls3 camaro around (or a coyote 5.0 Mustang) usually isn’t the highlight of my day. Thats my opinion, but it just isn’t necessary to waste time on this.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:06 AM
flowney
Cargo Master
Received 254 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Newkid97
<snip> I dont plan on actually crosing mine, but will be on the streets thrashing from time to time, and was wondering what solutions people had for suspension and steering. <snip> Open to ideas!
Given your objective, the Crown Vic IFS suggestions are apt, especially if you update the brakes on the rear to match the front and add a hefty sway bar. An IRS would be kicking it up a notch (note the IRS kit builds detailed in this forum). After that, you could go all out with a midships mounted engine. Lowering the center of gravity is another somewhat achievable goal.

After the IRS, those further mods would have significantly diminishing returns.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:21 AM
lasermike
Laughing Gas
Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
If I could auto cross in a early 70's Fiat 850 Spider that lacked reverse, you can do it in anything. It's not always about beating the Minis and Miatas but about being consistent and clean. Watched a big block 'Vette blow most every turn and completely miss the final turn due to too much right foot and too little skill. Didn't look like it was as much fun as I had in a 45HP car.

Michael

Old 10-24-2018, 01:26 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hail destroyer
This is how we learned to "drift" insanely overpowered, jacked up and nose heavy muscle cars in the 80's LONG before punks like Ken Block were even born. The only way to live to tell about approaching an apex and an oak tree at a buck twenty in a poor handling high horsepower rig is to turn into it, and get the back tires smoking, then countersteer as required......or die. Maybe not the safest way through a turn, but definitely...the MOST fun.
Just wanted to enlighten you with some facts... Ken block is 51yrs old. Learned to drive in a 77 f150 and was a teenager in the 80s so you're probably in the same group as him are you a punk too? Lol
(I mean no disrespect just joking around!)

Anyway to each their own, if someone wants to keep a dent side alive I'd rather see them driving it, enjoying it, and getting other people interested in a dent side instead of it going to the scrap yard.

Edit* I had to look up auto cross as I haven't heard that before now I know lol go race it and enjoy!

Quick Reply: auto-crossing a 79 Ranger?