More on the 2019 Ranger Towing and Power Specs - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > 2019 Ranger
Reload this Page >

More on the 2019 Ranger Towing and Power Specs

Notices
2019 Ranger Everything about the new 2019 Ford Ranger.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:17 PM
Curated Content Editor
Elder User
Curated Content Editor has a good reputation on FTE.Curated Content Editor has a good reputation on FTE.

By Lance Branquinho

Pony power should ensure that Ford's new Ranger is acceptable to American truck buyers.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:47 AM
'65Ford
Posting Guru
'65Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Might want to proof read the slides...One slide says the ranger has a rear axle rating of 1860 lbs. That's probably the payload rating.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:45 PM
CJ455

FTE Town Crier

CJ455 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Awesome pictures. The new Ranger sounds like a monstrous towing machine. Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Old 10-23-2018, 09:25 PM
joedOH
New User
joedOH is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm glad I didn't wait for the Ranger. Every time I hear the specs they change. The horsepower rumor started at 320 and is now down to 270 hp. By next week it will be down to 250 hp. I heard this week if you order by Jan 1 you can expect delivery by July 2. Maybe in a couple years Ford will get it together, I'll believe it when I see it.

Really hope they do better with the Bronco.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
The way that I'm interpreting Ford's website, it seems that the truck will available on dealer lots in Jan 2019.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:16 AM
WXboy
Postmaster
WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by joedOH View Post
I'm glad I didn't wait for the Ranger. Every time I hear the specs they change. The horsepower rumor started at 320 and is now down to 270 hp. By next week it will be down to 250 hp. I heard this week if you order by Jan 1 you can expect delivery by July 2. Maybe in a couple years Ford will get it together, I'll believe it when I see it.

Exactly the reason I leased a new JL Wrangler instead. Sick and tired of waiting. And now it looks like spring 2019 before they hit the dealership lots in mass numbers so that's another 6 months. Forget it...

When my lease is up in a few years the Ranger will be established with the bugs worked out and maybe by then they'll have a competitive engine option. For 2019, the Colorado will offer an engine with more HP, an engine with more torque, and a real offroad package. Jeep will offer 442 lbs/ft from a diesel, a torquey turbo-gas engine, or a V6. Ford will have none of that. It's sad...

Old 10-24-2018, 11:29 AM
reddog99
Posting Guru
reddog99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by joedOH View Post

I read yesterday that the assembly plant in Michigan just started production this week. January deliveries seem plausible.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:33 AM
ssls6
Senior User
ssls6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm disappointed in the power plant. Not a big fan of car engines in trucks.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:34 PM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ssls6 View Post
History lesson: The Ford 221 was introduced in 1962 for the Fairlane; it eventually grew to become a 302 and made it into Ford trucks in 1969. The 4"x3" bore/stroke always seemed weak and low-torquey for a truck and made more sense for car use in high-rev applications. (And the 351 Windsor was a higher deck version of this little Fairlane/Falcon/Mustang motor.)

The 4.6 mod motor was introduced in the 1992 Town Car and had really short bore centers so it could be used in transverse apps like the Continental. It did not show up in trucks until 1997, and the short bore centers made the raised block 5.4 (and 6.8) really undersquare. Trucks never needed overhead cams; they didn't rev much.

The 3.5 Ecoboost, which is a stellar truck engine in apps including the 450-horsepower Raptor and Navigator (with 510 lb ft of torque), grew out of the 1996 Taurus 3.0 Duratec, designed as a high-revving, all aluminum car performance engine, with Cosworth participating in the design of the cylinder heads.... Pretty beastly for a high-revving Taurus motor.

Finally, the Cologne V6 started out as a 1.7 liter V4 in the 1960's in the German Fords (and oddly enough in SAAB's including the SAAB Sonett--I owned one of these). It grew into the 2.6 Capri V6, then became the 2.8/2.9 used in Rangers for years, grew into the 4.0 used in Rangers and Explorers, and even got overhead cams and continued in the Explorer until 2011.

Basically, all 4 of these engine families were car engines long before they made it into trucks....the only truck engines in Ford's recent history might be the FE (long gone), the 300/4.9 I6 (also long gone), and the 6.2. Of course, I'm talking about gas engines only....

Assuming they put adequate cooling on the 2.3 Ecoboost, it should be fine. It's been in use in the 4600 lb Explorer for a few years and that is not exactly a car...

Old 10-31-2018, 03:36 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
2.7EcoBoost is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The EcoBoost engines have very truck friendly torque curves. The engine doesn't care if it was designed for a car or a truck. The "this engine was designed from the ground up for a truck" is just marketing mumbo jumbo. As much as I wanted Ford to change the rules and install a 2.7 Eco, this 2.3 is a much better option than the 3.3 V6 and is better suited to truck usage than the GM or Toyota V6 engines. It will do everything faster than the diesel GM, just won't get the mpg, especially towing. That Colorado diesel is a turd. 0-60 in like 2 days. You can keep the diesel and it's high price tag if all it can do better is get a measly 2mpg (with more expensive fuel).

Old 10-31-2018, 04:39 PM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
And as an add-on fact, the 2.3 goes into a couple sports cars with hp ratings of 350-385, so the bottom end will hold together... Sounds conservatively rated to me at a 300 hp rating in the Ranger.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:52 PM
ssls6
Senior User
ssls6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
We all have opinions and I have mine. Hook up a trailer and run at high boost for hours/days and we'll see what that car motor is made of. Longevity at load must be designed in. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:04 AM
db_tanker
Elder User
db_tanker is starting off with a positive reputation.
was positive I have read the write up where the engineers modified the 2.3 for truck duty. they started out using the Focus RS engine and went from there beefing it up.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...ranger-engine/

I'm not too concerned. I have one of those taxi-cab engines in my 190,000 mile 2005 F150 and has hauled everything I needed to haul with no issues.

D

Old 11-05-2018, 06:38 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
We all have opinions and I have mine. Hook up a trailer and run at high boost for hours/days and we'll see what that car motor is made of. Longevity at load must be designed in. I hope it lives up to the hype.
Understood sir and it was about this same time frame in 2010 when word of the 3.5L was making it's way into a 6000 LB F-150. This little engine matched the 6.2L for towing but did the same job with less fuel. The people were screaming and fighting and we were entering "diesel vs. gas" type wars that exist in the superduty forum. Many folks were determined to die on that hill and hold strong to the idea that a tiny V-6 couldn't handle the load for the long haul.

So as we enter the eighth year of production of the 3.5L eco in the F-150, this tiny little twin turbo has found duty in the T-series vans and as the lone engine in the Expedition.

I think that Ford gave this plenty of thought.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
As much as I am NOT an eco boot fan, the 2.3 eco will probably be right at home in this "little" truck. Even with 250hp and 280tq. That is still 43 more HP and 42ft/lb more than its predecessor
Even at lower hp/tq that the colorado, it should do fine since it is not fullze truck size like the colorado

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: