2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford "Sync" software and design complaints

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:17 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 940 Likes on 579 Posts
Originally Posted by RAY1969
So for those of us that aren't in the PC world, is there an Apple version of FORScan or something else?
As KCRebels says, nope. I know where you're coming from as all my stuff is Apple. I got a cheapo Lenovo laptop from Best Buy and pretty much use that only for FORScan.
I don't know a lot about the Windows world, but if it all runs as slow as this relatively new laptop I'm glad that I don't use it for anything else.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:27 AM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TSPOON
Why does Ford think I want the odometer for the trailer to keep going after I disconnect the trailer. My 2011 didn't. I forgot to turn it off after I towed now I don't know how many miles are on the trailer.
Originally Posted by alabamatoy
Exactly my point - when the trailer is disconnected, the system should be aggressively notifying me that the trailer is disconnected. Instead, it just behaves as though its still connected. So if I *am* towing, and the trailer connector gets yanked or damaged somehow, I get no notification? With all this automation?!?
If you don't want the truck to track miles on the trailer, why don't you go into the menu and select 'no active trailer'? It is impossible to design a system that can anticipate every situation. What does the computer know? IT know you hooked up a trailer, because it detected the wiring harness being used, and it displays to you on the dash that a trailer is connected (encouraging you to select the correct trailer from those you have told it about. Then at some other point, is detect the trailer is disconnected, because the wiring hardness is no longer connected. Everyone complaint is that it continues to show that trailer as 'active', but what everyone overlooks is pulling the plug out of the back of the bumper does NOT equal removing the trailer from the ball or fifth wheel. It is entirely possible for the plug to come out, while driving down the road (I have passed trucks with trailers and seen the cable just dragging on the roadway, the driver oblivious to what has happened). When this happens, the truck displays on the dash, and with a chime, that the trailer is disconnected, to get your attention, but if you continue to pull the trailer without it plugged in, it does keep tracking the miles. People assume these trucks are more automated than they really are.

Another one that keeps coming up, is the double horn honk, for those with keyless start. If I remember correctly, this was a mandate from the government a few years back, because people kept parking the cars in their garage, and going inside without shutting off the car. There were several news stories of people dying in their sleep (or when entering the garage the following morning) from CO2, as the cars idles so quietly they could not tell they left it running overnight. Is it stupid, yes. Is it something you are more than likely to find on all brands, also yes. Why does the option even exist in Forescan, so they don't have to have that function when the truck is sold in a market where the politicians don't have to nanny us from cradle to grave.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:39 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Update - as someone else pointed out, the engine braking actually does cycle through ON, Auto and .....nothing. I did not test the behvaior, I simply looked at the popups on the dash, and there is no popup for off. Stupid me, I figured there would be, like the traction control. So I am wrong on this point. But I do assert that Ford should be consistent and show a "Engine Brake OFF" popup instead of just showing.....nothing.

I stand corrected, and enlightened.....
Glad the forum could be of some help. I would point out...the first press gives a message "Engine Brake On" and an orange engine brake icon illuminates on your dash screen. The second press gives a message "Auto Engine Brake On" and the orange icon changes to include a letter "A" in it. The third press does NOT give a message, but it does cause the icon to disappear, indicating it is off. Maybe a third message would be clearer.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:57 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by harmanrk
If you don't want the truck to track miles on the trailer, why don't you go into the menu and select 'no active trailer'? It is impossible to design a system that can anticipate every situation. What does the computer know? IT know you hooked up a trailer, because it detected the wiring harness being used, and it displays to you on the dash that a trailer is connected (encouraging you to select the correct trailer from those you have told it about. Then at some other point, is detect the trailer is disconnected, because the wiring hardness is no longer connected. Everyone complaint is that it continues to show that trailer as 'active', but what everyone overlooks is pulling the plug out of the back of the bumper does NOT equal removing the trailer from the ball or fifth wheel. It is entirely possible for the plug to come out, while driving down the road (I have passed trucks with trailers and seen the cable just dragging on the roadway, the driver oblivious to what has happened). When this happens, the truck displays on the dash, and with a chime, that the trailer is disconnected, to get your attention, but if you continue to pull the trailer without it plugged in, it does keep tracking the miles. People assume these trucks are more automated than they really are.
Nah, have to disagree. It's far more likely that when the plug is disconnected from the truck, you have actually uncoupled your trailer than the plug inadvertently falling out of the socket while driving down the road. While I really could care less about how many miles are on my trailer, I'd simply prefer the trailer screen went away when I'm not towing. And on my second, Job 2 2017 truck, it does. I disconnect, and I get the message "trailer disconnected." I say OK, and the screen reverts to whatever screen was on before.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:47 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
As harmanrk points out, the double horn honk is govt mandated on all push-button start/stop vehicles. After the first hybrid vehicles (Prius and such) hit the market several people pulled their car into their garage under electric power and didn't realize they left the car ON. After the car drained the batteries it would automatically start the combustion engine without the owners awareness. Lots of people and a few families died from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

These are extremely complex and technical trucks and they're not always perfect in the consumers eyes due to industry and govt mandated best practices and laws. I agree, not all of the functions make sense to me (like the active trailer thing, it wasn't like that on my '11 or '14) but you learn how to work it, get around it or reprogram it. In the end Ford has no choice but to placate the lawyers.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:07 AM
prometheus1351
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know a few people already covered this, but figured I'd reiterate some points and add one new one based on my '18 -

1 - I recently towed a trailer. Now my display goes to "trailer status" no matter what I set it to, regardless of whether a trailer is connected or not.
Already mentioned but you just have to select "no active trailer" under the trailer settings

4 - One can drive down the road and adjust the drivers seat in all manner of ways, For heavens sake you can even adjust the pedal positions while driving, which seems surprising. But to memorize or select a memorized seating position, the vehicle must be stopped! Totally irrational.
This kind of makes sense to me, in particular because you can't stop the action of going to a memorized position once it starts. If there are two drivers that are opposite ends of the spectrum in body size and they get the memory seat numbers mixed up while driving I could see it being a problem...

5 - I hate dingers. I truly DESPISE dingers. I want to be able to turn off all my damned wretched infernal dingers. This truck dings at me for everything, parking brake, seat belt, lights I WANT IT TO STOP DINGING. Its my bleeping truck, Ford, why can't I turn this irritating crap off!?! I dont want a $60K vehicle pissin me off! Sorry...did I mention I hate dingers?

(didn't see anyone mention this specifically yet) you can disable the seat belt chime without forscan if you want to get a jump on it while researching forscan - see the owners manual. It's also posted online in numerous places and basically is a sequence of clicking the belt in and out... very simple but also available as change in forscan.

6 - Every time I put the truck in park with the engine running, get out and shut the door, the horn honks twice! Why does the horn honk? What is it telling me? I know I left it running, I *meant* to! I want to start the truck on a cold morning, and go back inside and get my coffee and lunch, and the nice super quiet truck that I paid so much for HONKS THE BLOODY HORN and wakes people up for absolutely no reason. Totally illogical.

This was the first thing I disabled with forscan - such an irritating feature.

9 - The trailer controls wont let the driver change the brake gain setting unless the vehicle is parked. Wow, that's not enough gain for this heavily loaded trailer, I gotta stop to change it? Come on, Ford software weenies, have you ever towed a trailer? I want a different setting on brake gain at interstate speeds versus stop-and-go traffic. No can do without parking.

I can adjust my trailer brake gain while driving... maybe this is a 2019 problem?

and I'd like to add one!

I can't stand that the steering wheel radio controls are on the right instead of the left! But oh well... love everything else about this truck!

Old 10-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by harmanrk
As somebody who builds computer systems for a living, I disagree. There certainly can be a better user experience with this. Ideally, I'd have designed it that when it detects the trailer is disconnected, to have the user confirm whether or not to switch to 'No Active Trailer'. And that really should be for both running and not running. The way they have it designed right now is actually backwards from your scenario. If the plug falls out while going down the road, since the engine is running, it will assume you've disconnected it on purpose and switch to 'No Active Trailer' (No, I haven't actually tried disconnecting while driving down the road to confirm this.) However, if I have the truck shut off, and then disconnect, it assumes the plug has fallen out. By allowing you to acknowledge right from the 'Trailer Disconnected' screen, you could solve for both cases.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:32 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
1 - I recently towed a trailer. Now my display goes to "trailer status" no matter what I set it to, regardless of whether a trailer is connected or not.
Gave my thoughts on that above. I've learned how to deal with it, but the user experience really can be better.

4 - One can drive down the road and adjust the drivers seat in all manner of ways, For heavens sake you can even adjust the pedal positions while driving, which seems surprising. But to memorize or select a memorized seating position, the vehicle must be stopped! Totally irrational.
I'm pretty sure I've been able to get it to memorize while driving down the road. Haven't tried selecting a position in motion, but it makes sense to block that. If I accidentally were to hit my wife's setting, my knees would get crushed.

5 - I hate dingers. I truly DESPISE dingers. I want to be able to turn off all my damned wretched infernal dingers. This truck dings at me for everything, parking brake, seat belt, lights I WANT IT TO STOP DINGING. Its my bleeping truck, Ford, why can't I turn this irritating crap off!?! I dont want a $60K vehicle pissin me off! Sorry...did I mention I hate dingers?
My manual provided the procedure to disable the seat-belt chime at least. Handy for short moves, like dropping off the garbage in a campground.

9 - The trailer controls wont let the driver change the brake gain setting unless the vehicle is parked. Wow, that's not enough gain for this heavily loaded trailer, I gotta stop to change it? Come on, Ford software weenies, have you ever towed a trailer? I want a different setting on brake gain at interstate speeds versus stop-and-go traffic. No can do without parking.
I think somebody mentioned it already, but how are you trying to adjust the gain? Using the +/- on the controller itself works for me when driving. What I can't do is go into the trailer's settings and adjust the Low/Medium/High ranges, but within that range, the gain can be adjusted.

10 - Every time I unlock the truck, it lights up every external light on the thing. Very irritating when unwanted. I guess the Ford designers have never used their truck for camping or hunting or some activity where they might want to remain just a wee bit less obvious and irritating to others.
This I fully concur with! Second to last camping trip out, the only place I could place my truck resulted in the headlights shining directly at my neighbour's campfire pit. I tried to be conscious of it, and apologized whenever I needed to light them up, but I'm sure they were cursing me whenever my son needed something out of the truck, or I dropped the tailgate to grab more firewood, and the like.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prometheus1351
I can't stand that the steering wheel radio controls are on the right instead of the left! But oh well... love everything else about this truck!
You can change the controls for the radio to the left side buttons via Forscan.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Towerhog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those wondering about the trailer connection issue. This is what Ive found.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/3893/trailer...8-ford-lincoln

Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Xwild
Elder User
I'm willing to bet that the "trailer being selected when disconnected" thing is due to a measurement threshold that isn't being met. It'd be interesting to know what pins it's actually looking at to make the determination and then play around with some different resistors to find the threshold. I'm guessing some trailers fall solidly on one side or the other of the threshold, and others do not. Could probably tweak those trailers that don't in such a way as to push them cleanly over the line. And it's probably a hysteresis in the software to separate the "Connected" threshold from the "Disconnected" threshold.. just need to determine what the thresholds are.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:06 PM
AceRed
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have push button start but I have yet to hear the double horn honk with a key in the ignition. (Lariat Value pkg)

So far (less than a week), My radio has stayed on whatever I left it on. satellite or FM. Haven't even tried AM yet.....

I get the memory seat issue. On a new 1999 Silverado, I hit the memory button and almost got squished. It was all the way forward and seat back all the way forward. Was actually pretty scary 5 seconds. I'm quick to set new memory settings when I get a new car/truck, lol.

I tried android auto for nav. Worked great as an FYI

Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Wayne64SS
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just as a tip if you unplug your trailer harness from the truck with the truck running it automatically selects "no active trailer" and this won't happen. If you unplug it with the truck off however it will think there's still a trailer attached and you'll get the annoying thing every time you start the truck until you manually select "no active trailer"

Old 10-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Totally agree. The shade is separately controllable, they give you and open and close switch for it. My point was that when you open the sunroof, the shade opens as well, which is logical. But when you close the roof, the shade does NOT close, which is illogical to me.
Illogical to you but not to me. Why would I want the shade to close every time I close my moonroof? I keep my shade open at all times. What a PITA that would be to close the moonroof and have to reopen the shade every time.

half your complaints are you not being educated on the truck. Most of them can be fixed and have been discussed. Maybe take some time to research online about the things you dont like instead of ranting about it.

The double horn honk is a safety feature. With push button start, itnis wsrning you since all you so is push a button to shut down. It is there to prevent you from parking in a garage, think you shut down but didnt and filling up with exhaust. People have died from this exact thing with push button start. Vehicles these days are so quiet when they are running..

Old 10-23-2018, 11:31 AM
TSPOON
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 2011 f350 you could unplug it on or off. It always stopped the odometer. Ford had it right.

Quick Reply: Ford "Sync" software and design complaints