Issue with Reese 18k elite slider, maybe bolt loose.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:03 PM
andrewglass
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with Reese 18k elite slider, maybe bolt loose.

Just got a 5th wheel camper and since I had a short bed f250 I had the reese RE elite 5th wheel slider put in. i noticed when 2 bolts that were loose that had nylock nuts on them and wasnt 100% sure if they were suppose to be or not. I went over the manual and a bunch of videos online and never seen any info about them. They are on the bottom of the hitch, 1 on each side. They sit in a little channel and can move back and forward.. I actually had the hitch put on by a ford dealer, I havent been back to talk to them about it yet as I just noticed it.

Here are some pictures.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
I’m not a fan of nylon lock nuts as they’re basically single use only. Once you take one off, if you reuse it the lock isn’t as strong. I use flex top lock nuts. McMaster Carr has a wide variety.

— Dave

Old 10-21-2018, 07:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
That is for adjustments, adjust and lock it down.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:57 AM
Midnite150
Cross-Country
Bolt size?

Hi,
I have a Reese Elite 30144 18K slider that looks just like that. I just realized I had a problem with maneuvering mode. The bolts are to stop the hitch from going past the lock position either direction. Sliding the hitch back doesn't allow the lock to seat all the way and I can't get the safety pin in. Looking at it closely I realized that the bolts were hitting the puck support and keeping it from functioning. I took the bolts out (1/2" 4" lg) and it then locked just fine. Problem is, if it slips by with no bolts, it will slide right off rails. Looking at the manual closely, these bolts are supposed to be 3/8 x 4". I bought new bolts, nuts and washers to try and will let you know. I just don't know why I had 1/2" bolts. I did buy the hitch used, so who knows for sure. Please let me know what size your bolts are.

Thanx - Dean

Old 12-29-2018, 09:35 AM
Midnite150
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Midnite150
Hi,
I have a Reese Elite 30144 18K slider that looks just like that. I just realized I had a problem with maneuvering mode. The bolts are to stop the hitch from going past the lock position either direction. Sliding the hitch back doesn't allow the lock to seat all the way and I can't get the safety pin in. Looking at it closely I realized that the bolts were hitting the puck support and keeping it from functioning. I took the bolts out (1/2" 4" lg) and it then locked just fine. Problem is, if it slips by with no bolts, it will slide right off rails. Looking at the manual closely, these bolts are supposed to be 3/8 x 4". I bought new bolts, nuts and washers to try and will let you know. I just don't know why I had 1/2" bolts. I did buy the hitch used, so who knows for sure. Please let me know what size your bolts are.

Thanx - Dean
Installed new 3/8" bolts tight enough to allow sliding to reposition either direction and the hitch now works just like it should.
Not knowing history of hitch I have no idea why they weren't the factory 3/8 bolts.

Dean

Old 01-04-2019, 06:18 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
FWIW, My first 5er towing experience was with my F250 using a Reese 20K slider and I hated it. Always chucking and banging and the thing weighs a bunch so it mostly stayed in the bed because it was a bear to remove. Because my 5th wheel has a nice rounded cone front I soon realized I didn't need to use the slider function. I know that most dealers say "you gotta get a slider if you gotta short bed", just not the case for me but I didn't know what I didn't know. Fast Forward a little and I found the Anderson Ultimate hitch. My steel AUH fit on the same rails as the Reese. Taking out the Reese from the bed vs removing the AUH is no comparison.
Got the F350 and my first aftermarket purchase was the AUH aluminum hitch. Even better.
You didn't indicate what sort of trailer you have or how your Reese is mounted so you may have to have the slider and a hitch like the Anderson may just be a bad idea. If that is the case then never mind.