1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a truck with a bad engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 02:58 PM
Dirt Wagon
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a truck with a bad engine?

Hello everybody!

I've searched this forum and other but can't find something to relate to my question.

I'm looking at a 1999 F350 extended cab with a V10, 5-speed, 4x4 flatbed with dump & DRW. From my searching it should have the dana 60 rather than the dana 50. I plan to check it out this weekend to get a better idea on it's condition. It was used as a tree service company till the engine went bad, current owner said his shop say's it needs replacing & would cost $3500.

He has it priced at $2500, so my question to you guy's is it worth buying to have a re-manufactured engine installed? I have plans to move to Montana in a few years and I know I'll need a solid truck when i get there. All the parts seem right & I think the truck should fit my needs.

I don't have any skill to do the work myself so paying a shop will be part of the total cost.

Last edited by Dirt Wagon; 10-20-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo - cabe changed to cab
Old 10-20-2018, 03:25 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
The only benefit I see going that route is you’d have a new engine. I’d go look at the truck then get several quotes on replacing the engine. Is the shop owner capable of doing the work? If yes, maybe work a deal out with him. If No…where’d he get $3500 from?? The other concern I’d have with that kind of vehicle is that typically employees don’t take care of the equipment they use, it’s not their dime if they break it. If you stick $4K into the engine then the transmission goes out that’s another 4K...just something to consider

Old 10-20-2018, 05:33 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
18 year old vehicle , and you do not need it for a couple of years.
You do not have the knowledge or skills to deal with a parts truck to turn it into a service vehicle.

wait and get a proper running truck when you need it..

my opinion.
best of luck

Old 10-20-2018, 05:34 PM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
I highly doubt anybody will give him $2500 for a truck with a blown engine. If it’s not drivable, there’s no guarantee the transmission is good.

Offer him a grand and if he balks, leave him your number so when he realizes it’ll never sell he’ll call you.

— Dave

Old 10-20-2018, 08:27 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For the price of the truck and having an engine installed you can find a truck that age that is in good shape that already runs. I wouldn't buy a truck that was used as a work truck like that either. No telling what else on it is one step away from being worn out or breaking. Save your money and get something you can actually test drive.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:50 PM
Dirt Wagon
5th Wheeling
Thanks for all your input guys!

I think I may have been building up the idea of buying it since it has the dana 60 under it along with the flatbed & manual transmission, the dump seemed like a bonus Seemed like a good base to build a truck off of. The truck is supposed to have only 150k miles on it but being a company truck has made me hesitant on how much abuse it's had.

I suppose if I were to spend another 6k to have a new engine installed it does add the cost of the truck up a good bit. Most likely why it hasn't sold yet. He did say it's somewhat able to drive but the engine is going out. Kinda made me wonder if it's actually as bad as the guy's mechanic said it was. I'll give the guy a call tomorrow and see if I can get some more information about it.

I was out of town but since I'm back home I can see if it's worth it or not. Last thing I want is a money pit, I have a second son on the way and main reason for buying it is to have the extra seating I for the growing family.

Not sure if these pic's will upload since i'm a new member, but thought i'd post them for ya'll to see.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
4X4 + V10 + 5 speed manual is not a very common combination and highly desirable to certain people.
Factor in the dump bed and it is easily worth $2500 to the right person as it sits.
But paying someone else to do the work it "sounds like" it needs is a deal breaker in my opinion.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:06 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
With a new kid OTW, personally I’d be looking for a crew cab, more room, bigger doors and keep in mind they grow quickly!

Old 10-21-2018, 07:07 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
in today's world..... Labor is the biggest Cost to your project.

transmission
Steering / suspension.
Tires / Brakes.
Electrical.
Transfer gear box and 2 axles.

without the skills of troubleshoot and testing.. and the replacement / repair of said assemblies.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:46 AM
Optimistic Paranoid
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing I'll add to this discussion is the fact that Ford has a Factory Remanufactured Engine program that comes with a warranty that will be honored by any Ford dealership anywhere in the US or Canada. Your local Ford dealer can give you a price on their installing it for you, and you will know that you will be able to get it warranted easily in MT when you move there, if you need to.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/reman-gas-engines

Old 10-21-2018, 09:07 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Try to find a truck with a decent motor. I see some 2 valve v10’s here in the northeast for around 5 k that are running.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Dirt Wagon
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Optimistic Paranoid
The only thing I'll add to this discussion is the fact that Ford has a Factory Remanufactured Engine program that comes with a warranty that will be honored by any Ford dealership anywhere in the US or Canada. Your local Ford dealer can give you a price on their installing it for you, and you will know that you will be able to get it warranted easily in MT when you move there, if you need to.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/reman-gas-engines
I'll give the local dealership a call to see what they say, thanks.

Originally Posted by don123
Try to find a truck with a decent motor. I see some 2 valve v10’s here in the northeast for around 5 k that are running.
Unfortunately down here, trucks tend to be much higher priced when it comes to 4x4's than what I see listed up North. I had intentions of buying a Tundra with 4wd but those are just going for insane prices because it's a Toyota. Even the old Jeep Wagoneer's are fetching prices well over than what they are worth. Seems if it has a solid axle or a certain model it means people charge a lot of money for them, even though they don't sell. Kinda like the old Wranglers, if the new ones fetch 40k then the old 4cyl with stick shift go for 4k with rust everywhere.

I thought about just waiting to buy when I move NW but worry about any rust damage from the winter roads on older trucks.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Dirt Wagon
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Colorado350
With a new kid OTW, personally I’d be looking for a crew cab, more room, bigger doors and keep in mind they grow quickly!
Crew cab trucks tend to go for a larger amount in my area with beaten up interiors, and most often with high miles that could mean a big repair bill after putting so much money out for the truck. The extended cab on this size of truck doesn't bother me that much. If i'm able to keep the truck for 10 years then it should still be able to handle the two boys I have, the oldest is 3 now so a 15 y/o should fit in the back.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Dirt Wagon
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
in today's world..... Labor is the biggest Cost to your project.

transmission
Steering / suspension.
Tires / Brakes.
Electrical.
Transfer gear box and 2 axles.

without the skills of troubleshoot and testing.. and the replacement / repair of said assemblies.
I'm actually pretty good at trouble shooting issues with my past vehicles. I've also replaced small parts here and there in the past, but an actual engine tear down isn't something I would take on with out a garage with a hoist and the necessary tools needed along with the months I would need for that project. I know enough that I'd pay an experienced person or dealership for the warranty on work. I'm sure I can handle most other repairs as long as the internet is working

Forgot to mention that the tires on the truck are fairly new BFG TKO All Terrains, so that's one less thing needed on it.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
First off thats not even a DRW truck. It's an SRW that someone added duals to. How did they do it? Complete rear axle swap? I doubt duals would clear the springs with the stock pickup axle. If the rear axle was swapped does it have the same gears as the front? If it started as an SRW truck it would have the D50 front also. As opposed to factory D60 dually that someone removed the spacers from. Looks like a basket case to me.

Quick Reply: Buying a truck with a bad engine?