How to Check engine oil cooler? Working right? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

How to Check engine oil cooler? Working right?

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 10-20-2018, 12:37 AM
Bodo Malo
New User
Bodo Malo is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hi

This is a somehow long story.
i have a 2006 F250 6.0 Diesel. 127k miles

my question: How can I check if a engine oil cooler is failing or is cogged? Symptoms? Dashboard lights?

Story:
Back in May 2018 I drove in a hot day well above 90 degrees towing a 5th wheel trailer, a road that goes up. The engine light went one. I stopped at a autozone to let them read the error code and he said it is something with the EGR Error and that could have several reasons. The truck was running normal. No change in Temperaturen and no other noise. When leaving the last gas station i forgot to close the Tank lid and one of the reasons for this error could be that air came into the Diesel Tank.
I drove on for about 2 hours. Then stopped. Startet again and the engine check light was off again.

I drove more than 1000 miles since that. Light never came back.

1 Week ago I got new batteries installed

today when driving for an hour at about 55 miles and towing a trailer suddenly the WRENCH symbol appeared. I stopped. Waited 5 minutes. Started again and the Symbol is gone.
Truck drive normal. No other noise.

I went to a ford Dealer to let them check this WRENCH light problem.
they did not find a Problem there. But they have been reading all Ťrror codes and said there is an egr error and that means my engine oil cooler is cogged and needs to be replaced. They were asking 3400 usd to do that work.
well, I change my oil every 6000 miles
I do not see any oil Spills. Nor oil in the coolant.
The engine is not hot. All gauges normal. I do not experienced any loos of Power... I will a 10.000 pounds trailer upwards and can accellerate. There is no Black or white smoke. No oil loos.
The error code for sure comes from the problem back in May.

so how do I check if the engine oil coolant is really bad?

I drove on. And while driving my instrument dashboard went crazy. ABS light went on and off. Also headlight went on and off while driving, for milliseconds. I stopped by the road and checked the batteries. (plastic cover was already melting) One of the connections was loose. Sparks. I fixed that and everything is fine again. Now I realized that my dashboard went crazy because of the loose battery connection. That was the reasons the WRENCH symbol came on and off again a few hours earlier. I paid 122 usd to the Ford Dealer to check the truck, but they did not check the battery connections. They only read that old error code...

what should I do?
I would like to test if my engine oil cooler is really broken or cogged. Should there Not be at least a engine check light come on? Some Symptoms ?

This ford Dealer scared me to death when he said the engine could blow up in the next 10 miles. But we slowly drove on another 90 miles as I have my own mechanic at home. The only real problem today was the loose battery cable.

I have a mechanic at home who could change the cooler for much less then 3400. So I might have to stop my roadtrip and head home...? Or is the truck fine?

Old 10-20-2018, 08:12 AM
xcrsp440
Senior User
xcrsp440 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You need to get gauges that read the oil temp and coolant temp. Either smartphone apps or others. Read the temps at a steady 60mph. No trailer. A nice unclogged cooler will be a couple degrees difference. When it get to a 12-15 degree difference the college is plugged.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Bodo Malo
New User
Originally Posted by xcrsp440 View Post
You need to get gauges that read the oil temp and coolant temp. Either smartphone apps or others. Read the temps at a steady 60mph. No trailer. A nice unclogged cooler will be a couple degrees difference. When it get to a 12-15 degree difference the college is plugged.
That Said, can the Dealer Just measure these Temperatur differences on a Standing Car in the garage?

I will Drive Back top them now and ASK what the temperature difference was.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Bodo Malo
New User
Originally Posted by xcrsp440 View Post
I need to Install gauges? And Drive the Truck on a Highway? No other way to Tell?
I Just would Like to know how the Dealer could find Out about a plugged cooler on the Car in the garage. He only looked at it for about 15 to 20 Minutens and did Not drive it.
why should the cooler become plugged If i do oil Changes everyone 6000 Miles? Whenever I Change it they Show the old oil to me and its color is still golden because I Change it so early. My Belly tells me there ist nothing wrong with that cooler. Hm.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:26 AM
Mike189677
Posting Guru
Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.
One of the paramaters that will trigger the wrench light is the temperature difference between the oil and coolant. So they could condem the oil cooler. There are plenty of write ups on here to follow but you need digital gauges to do it. Also every 6000 miles is not an early oil change and with 3 or so quarts left in the system evrytime itís drained and the introduction of soot in to the oil while running the engine I donít know where the Golden oil is coming from maybe the one of the new jugs but oil coming out of a 6 liter ainít golden brown after 6 k miles. I would do an oil change for yourself and see what your oil really looks like. If you want to go with your gut and keep driving the truck with out diag your likely going to cost yourself a lot of money. If the oil cooler is clogged replace it with a ford oil cooler the aftermarket ones arenít as efficient and will result in higher oil temps.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:37 AM
kgburns
Senior User
kgburns is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's not the oil that clogs the oil cooler, it's the coolant that clogs it up.. Are you still running Ford Gold and if so, when was the cooling system last flushed and refilled.

You don't have to install gauges to monitor oil/coolant deltas or temps, just get a bluetooth OBDII xmiter and download Torque Lite on your Android phone. Torque Lite is free, just doesn't have all the parameters as the Pro version (only $5 if you want that), the bluetooth OBDII can be had for less than $20. Then your all set to monitor just about everything except fuel pressure and EGT

Old 10-20-2018, 12:02 PM
xcrsp440
Senior User
xcrsp440 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Very good point that the coolant passages are what get clogged in the oil cooler. They are very small and neglected or the wrong coolant mix slowly reduces the flow.
Then because the EGR cooler is downstream from the oil cooler, it gets starved of coolant and can malfunction, burn through and let coolant into the exhaust.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Bodo Malo
New User
OK.
Last question today
I wanna Bring that Truck Back zu my own Mechanik Back Home.
Would you Drive ist another 200 miles? There are No warning Lights on.
and or Would you pull a big Trailer with IT?
I can leave the Trailer Here too...

Old 10-20-2018, 01:58 PM
Bodo Malo
New User
So I talked top the Ford Mechanik again now.
He Said He was Reading the diagnosis
Records that CAME Up in Last June when the engine light CAME in for about 4 hours.
The readings were that IT different Temperaturen for the oil and the cooling liquid. I did Not know that the 2006 f250 already Stores and measures all These temperatures. So Back from that old Log Files he recommend changing the whole oil coolant and egr. ..
He also Said this engine light only comes in when driving 60 Miles or more. Strange uh?
So I am doing a very expensive repair now .. without having and issues in the Car. Hm.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:16 PM
carbonation
Freshman User
carbonation is starting off with a positive reputation.
You need a monitor of some kind. Edge, or OBD dongle and TorquePro on your phone.
The oil cools the turbo, and that heat is transferred into the cooling system. The delta between oil temperature and coolant temperature is measured at 60mph after a drive to warm the engine to operating temperature. You are looking for 15 degrees maximum difference, and if everything is perfect you will see 9 or less. If more than 15, you probably need a cooler, and while opened up for surgery, a BulletProof EGR cooler as well. Unfortunately, this is par for the 6.0 . It has more than it's share of inherent issues.
Some have had success with a Restore flush. That's a coolant system cleaner from Fleetguard. Follow the directions on the bottle.
Either way, change to a diesel coolant. Shell Rotella Ultra is about as good as it gets.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:18 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.
GET A MONITOR FOR YOUR TRUCK.
There are cheap options as mentioned above. Do a search in the 6.0 forum and start reading. If you continue driving and towing without watching your ECT and EOT you are asking for trouble. The biggest problem that the 6.0 had/has is people don’t watch their temps and plug the oil cooler from lack of maintenance on the coolant side.
The silicates drop out of the Ford gold coolant and plug the cooler. When that happens the EGR cooler which is downstream of the oil cooler lacks the coolant flow needed to cool the exhaust being sent back into the intake manifold. The lack of cooling ruptures the EGR cooler which will now send coolant into the manifold into the engine and will lift the cylinder heads.

So again GET A MONITOR FOR YOUR TRUCK.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:44 AM
Bodo Malo
New User
I ordered a omdb2 BT Reader Sender for Android from Amazon. It will arrive this evening. Then I hope I can Monitor those two temperatures.

I also wanna die that cooler flush. See where I geht the mentioned stuff die IT.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:07 AM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.FiznUKa has a very good reputation on FTE.
What phone do you use IOS or android? If IOS you will need a WiFi OBD2 adapter if using Android Bluetooth is best. ForScan lite is a good app for reading codes and monitoring PID’s and works with both operating systems. Torque pro is very common for use with the Android OS. So in the meantime check out those apps and their functionality.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:15 AM
Bodo Malo
New User
Originally Posted by FiznUKa View Post
What phone do you use IOS or android? If IOS you will need a WiFi OBD2 adapter if using Android Bluetooth is best. ForScan lite is a good app for reading codes and monitoring PIDís and works with both operating systems. Torque pro is very common for use with the Android OS. So in the meantime check out those apps and their functionality.

Android Phone
https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1540134863&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=odb+reader&dpPl= 1&dpID=416SaTHOpkL&ref=plSrch

Old 10-21-2018, 11:21 AM
Bodo Malo
New User
How many gallones so I Need of those?

https://puredieselpower.com/products/fleetguard-restore-cooling-system-cleaner-1-gallon.html#/product/8536

Ist this available at some Stores Like Autozone or napa?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.