Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Crossovers
Reload this Page >

Just picked up a new 2018 Edge Sport for the wife

Notices
Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

Just picked up a new 2018 Edge Sport for the wife

Old 03-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Alaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, my wife's 2018 Edge Sport is the funnest car I've driven in a long time. Those dual turbos make that thing get up and go. I read an article a while ago that said it was posting sub-6 seconds for 0-60. Like you, I prefer the black wheels but the Mrs. likes the chromed wheels her came with plus I was able to negotiate a great price.

If the 2019 has the 2.7L EB one thing you should know about is Ford had a problem with the plastic oil pans that are basically glued to the engine. Here is my post on that, in a thread with lots of info. Happy to say the new TSB seems to have completely fixed the issue for us.

Post pics when you get it!

Old 03-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Alaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to behold
Also, my wife's Sport doesn't have the "ST" badging. Is that a separate option or something?

Old 03-04-2019, 06:14 PM
AMXDREAMER
Elder User
AMXDREAMER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AMXDREAMER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The 2019 ST replaces the 2018 Sport. It now boasts 335hp and 380 ft lbs of torque, new 8 speed transmission, different springs/shocks and bigger sway bars. Different interior items such as heated/cooled front seats and heated rear seats, wireless charging for phones, different steering wheel, black headliner, logos on seats etc. They are pretty much loaded up. Tol her she will get challenged for races a lot....lol

Thanks for the heads up on the pan, I'll take a closer look when we get it home.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AMXDREAMER View Post
The 2019 ST replaces the 2018 Sport. It now boasts 335hp and 380 ft lbs of torque, new 8 speed transmission, different springs/shocks and bigger sway bars. Different interior items such as heated/cooled front seats and heated rear seats, wireless charging for phones, different steering wheel, black headliner, logos on seats etc. They are pretty much loaded up. Tol her she will get challenged for races a lot....lol

Thanks for the heads up on the pan, I'll take a closer look when we get it home.
Hmmm. I'll have to check the hp/torque numbers on her car to see how much they improved going into 2019. Excepting the transmission and the badging, the wife's car has all the same with the fully loaded interior. Her car doesn't look quite as mean tho - it's more of a 'sleeper', so people are shocked when we pull away from them.

I'll be real curious to hear how you guys like that 8-speed transmission. Please do post pics when you get it! I'll post a couple of the wife's when I can get an updated pic with the car clean. :P

Old 03-04-2019, 08:53 PM
AMXDREAMER
Elder User
AMXDREAMER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AMXDREAMER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
They bumped 20 hp and 30 ft lbs on the ST so not a lot, maybe the most noticeable change is the 8 speed? The Edge Sport is a great SUV but with Ford getting away from building cars they needed to get an ST into the mix. The Edge ST is the first and I believe the Explorer ST is coming in 2020. Either way, it really does look aggressive!

Old 03-12-2019, 11:12 PM
AMXDREAMER
Elder User
I started a thread here with some pictures

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...9-edge-st.html

Old 03-29-2019, 02:07 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
So I've been waiting to post this unfortunate update until things were well along and we had the proper diagnosis. Turns out there is a good explanation and we're being very well taken care of.

The 2.7L EB engine seized up with 2,100 miles on it, 3 weeks ago. This was about a month and a half after having the new TSB done for the leaking oil pan. The 2 appear unrelated, as the engine was full of oil, no leaks, but was definitely seized. The diagnosis came back that the oil pump failed, started fragmenting (or whatever) and sent metal shards through the engine. My dealer has been excellent, as has Ford. They immediately shipped a brand new engine from the factory and the dealer has my wife in a nice F150 loaner. They've told me that this is rare but that it sometimes happens, nothing we did caused it, etc.

That said, I do have a few questions... I was the one driving when this occurred. The engine started making a clicking sound that sounded exactly like the serpentine belt going bad and clicking against a housing, before it died. The car never threw a code until it died and wouldn't restart (yes, it was still cranking, not seized). Then the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree.

1. If the oil pump was failing such that it was coming apart and injecting fragments into the engine, wouldn't there have been a loss of oil pressure and a subsequent dash light warning??
2. Isn't there an oil filter in place to stop this sort of thing from happening?
3. They said the engine was seized up tight but when it died as we were coming up to a red light, it was still cranking over. It is possible it seized once the block cooled?
4. Has anyone else heard of or had a 2.7L twin turbo EB seize up?
5. On a new factory crate engine like this, is there a different break-in procedure/period?
6. After the car had over a thousand miles on it, I did drive it - put it under semi-hard acceleration, but I never abused it. Unless you've modified the car somehow, shouldn't it be about impossible to blow an engine??

I'll check and see if there is a 2.7L engine forum here and will cross-post there as well.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:20 PM
AMXDREAMER
Elder User
I'm glad they are taking care of you but it's still frustrating for a new vehicle.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:15 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AMXDREAMER View Post
I'm glad they are taking care of you but it's still frustrating for a new vehicle.
Thanks. Obviously, we are too.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:34 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
For anybody following, I just updated this thread with a very happy ending.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: