1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Ways to fox these spots?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:19 PM
sxgriff
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ways to fox these spots?

Hi all FTE members. I have found what seems to be a pretty nice 72 shortbed. There are 3 spots that concern my for replacement pieces and I was hoping I could get some guidance before I pop for this truck.
Below are the pics of the 3 areas. The questions are based on that I don't kjnow if I could find any in a JY to cut replacement steel from.
The portion of the bed floor that I cannot seem to find any replacement because it's near the tailgate and the ribs roll down.
The other is the rear of the bed behind/below the tailgate that is the main support across the bed.
And the last is the portion of the bedside behind the right rear tire. Do I have to buy a bed side to cut a piece out of?

Any advice is welcomed..

Old 10-19-2018, 01:23 PM
69 Crewcab
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
look online at Dennis Carpenter or LMC truck they may have patch panels

Old 10-19-2018, 01:55 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Except for an entire bed side or half a bedside, there appears to be no patch panels for aft of the rear wheel. Looks like a trip to the salvage yard is in order for that piece.

The bed patch is available in the aftermarket or obtained by cutting out a section from a donor.

The vertical piece behind the bumper can be fabbed up. ... or obtained from a donor.

Good luck and happy hunting.

LACzar
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Also, try www.tabcoparts.com. _ Tony

sxgriff
Cross-Country
Thanks 69 CrewCab. I've looked there before and just don't see those bed panels that roll down to the end or the end rail that is eat up so much.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:56 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by LACzar
Also, try www.tabcoparts.com. _ Tony
i just looked at their site and no joy there at TabCo.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:00 PM
sxgriff
Cross-Country
Thanks guys for ideas and researching. What a shame that something that simple ( in the line of sheet metal) is not available.
I wonder if a bronco bed floor is the same rib dimension? Looks like Toms Bronco has them with that end near tailgate..

Old 10-19-2018, 05:26 PM
lilorbie
Laughing Gas
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
sxgriff imo. you are better off going to the junkyard. lmc,s sheet metal is just cheap china junk. don,t use them for anything.you should not have to buy a complete bed , unless you can get one for way cheap. that piece under the tailgate could be fixed with just a flat piece of sheet metal.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:14 PM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The deal is that if that area is rusted, the rest of the bed is probably not too far behind as well. I'd think about a used bed.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:56 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I'm originally from Toledo Ohio. AKA rust belt. I've been told by friends still there that when they want to buy a rust free vehicle or parts, they contact someone who brings it up from Georgia somewhere. Have a local JY run a complete bed "on the wire". They will know what you mean. It is a JY's version of a parts locator. Nationwide.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:33 PM
wmsturkeycalls
New User
Contact Joey at Evolutionary Rides in Florida. He has the entire replacement bed floor. 352-835-1355 You can see some pics on his Facebook page. They are top notch.
https://www.facebook.com/evolutionaryrides/

Old 10-31-2018, 08:03 AM
sxgriff
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by wmsturkeycalls
Contact Joey at Evolutionary Rides in Florida. He has the entire replacement bed floor. 352-835-1355 You can see some pics on his Facebook page. They are top notch.
https://www.facebook.com/evolutionaryrides/
I looked these guys up and no doubt that bed floor looks spot on. I have emailed to inquire for future knowledge. Anyone with bed floor issues should look at them.
The shame to this whole post is I was not able to get that truck....still on the hunt, but this is good news for those that need the bed floor.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:46 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 851 Likes on 769 Posts
Too bad about the truck. But, they are out there. Try browsing clist. Where in NC are you? I know a guy near Sandy Ridge that has a 69 long bed and , I think add-on AC. I'm looking at a 71 short bed for a friend right now.
Sometimes you might be better off paying more for a ready to drive truck than paying less for one that needs a lot of work.
Guy I know, completely restored a 71 - frame off etc. He stopped counting at $20K. From $6-12k he probably could have bought a driver.
https://greensboro.craigslist.org/ct...726972578.html

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d...735641104.html
For example
Try joining the NC Chapter. Members there could point you in the right direction.
Good luck

Old 11-02-2018, 09:26 AM
sxgriff
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by GLR
Too bad about the truck. But, they are out there. Try browsing clist. Where in NC are you? I know a guy near Sandy Ridge that has a 69 long bed and , I think add-on AC. I'm looking at a 71 short bed for a friend right now.
Sometimes you might be better off paying more for a ready to drive truck than paying less for one that needs a lot of work.
Guy I know, completely restored a 71 - frame off etc. He stopped counting at $20K. From $6-12k he probably could have bought a driver.
https://greensboro.craigslist.org/ct...726972578.html

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d...735641104.html
For example
Try joining the NC Chapter. Members there could point you in the right direction.
Good luck
Thanks GLR. I have seen both. I found one right here in my home town just a couple days ago. It's a 70 long bed Ranger XLT.
I actually bought it yesterday evening.
Plan is to make a shortbed out of it. CV front and (Not sure which Rear yet)
I got it on the cheap, so more of my time and work is easier on the wallet. Yep, one of those with limited funds to use.
It's actually in pretty good shape. I will update with more pics in a build thread I plan to make.

I'm in North Eastern NC. Roanoke Rapids to be exact.
I don't know how to join the chapter but I will look into
Here it is:

Old 11-02-2018, 09:43 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 851 Likes on 769 Posts
Not a bad 70. We've got one, sort of working on. Have a 72 Camper Special 1 ton that I bought a 77 1/2 ton frame for. That way it can have disk brakes and get the gas tank out of the cab.
Friend I'm getting a 71 short bed has a P71 car that will be used to go under the truck. Seems a shame to cut that long bed into a short bed. I've got a daughter near Archer Lodge so get down that way occasionally.

Quick Reply: Ways to fox these spots?