Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap DIY way to reduce lag

Old 11-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Brother Les
Posting Guru
Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
subscribing.........

Old 11-06-2018, 09:39 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jimjokjv View Post
I wonder if the mpg drop is due to putting your foot in it more because you like the new found power at takeoff?
im 1/2 miles from 2 freeways let alone, a handful of stoplights, school crosswalks and cops that hide since peoole think the blvd i live off of is the Autobahn..i did lauch(6spd) a few times when 1st installed but since, the truck sat til the last Sunday-Tuesday adventures that were all freeway(96% ..wednesday night, she'll be "full" and eill update mpg +/- reading.
Now, lets twist the hat around. IF towing, would you net a gain in mpg since its less effort to get ur moving/added power down lower?

Old 11-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Now, lets twist the hat around. IF towing, would you net a gain in mpg since its less effort to get ur moving/added power down lower?
That is a good question that I had not thought of.

I am one of those that feels the truck idled better and attained slightly higher MPG's after cleaning the tube and replacing the EBPS. It was not a lot of a difference, but definitely there in both categories. This is an interesting thread that I look for each day and something worth learning about, even if it is not something I plan to participate in.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:33 PM
beef tits
Senior User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I didn't read every post in here but just throwing out a potential idea:

What if you piped in a one-way ball valve on the EBP line so that the MAP would always see the greater of the two (exhaust back pressure, or plenum pressure). I imagine at some point your plenum pressure is greater than exhaust, how does top-end power feel?

Old 11-07-2018, 10:02 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of

With MapMod

Without MapMod..and both this run had 2 days of 30min+ traffic

Old 11-08-2018, 12:46 AM
jimjokjv
Senior User
jimjokjv has a good reputation on FTE.jimjokjv has a good reputation on FTE.
MPG looks good.
Now for the picture of a well thought out installation.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:30 AM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Unless I am reading the screenshots from Timmy, it looks like it went down .8 MPG's with the MAPmod?

Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
Bottom pic is WITHOUT MapMod..increase of .8mpg and thats with 2 straight days of 30min+/- sitn traffic..The MapMod mpg is 1st pic and that was dead of early morning with no rush hour traffic along with destination within a couple moles of 2nd pics' destinations....definietly can feel the "hesitant" response between the 2 with no M.M. being the latter. Have same destinations today and saturday. No driving tmrw..will fuel up again same place saturday night so, will compare again

Old 11-09-2018, 03:01 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by beef **** View Post
I didn't read every post in here but just throwing out a potential idea:

What if you piped in a one-way ball valve on the EBP line so that the MAP would always see the greater of the two (exhaust back pressure, or plenum pressure). I imagine at some point your plenum pressure is greater than exhaust, how does top-end power feel?
If the two were piped together it would likely create problems. I see no way that boost would ever be higher than exhaust pressure while accelerating so it's a pointless mod to the mod.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:44 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
Pedal management must be "key". Another round of miles with no mapmod. Obviously, doing 75-80mph most of these miles, didnt help..

Old 11-11-2018, 06:29 PM
jimjokjv
Senior User
Just to clarify, you do not have the T fitting with the EBP sensor plugged in correct?
Wondering if that would get your mileage up again?

Old 11-11-2018, 07:39 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jimjokjv View Post
Just to clarify, you do not have the T fitting with the EBP sensor plugged in correct?
Wondering if that would get your mileage up again?
no...1st calculated mileage was with the mod and ebp sensor capped. Last 2 calc mileage was w/out mod and ebp sensor installed into tube

Old 11-12-2018, 09:20 AM
jimjokjv
Senior User
So map mod apparently didn't affect your mpg very much at all.

I am waiting and watching for the reports on the varied mods. The T fitting idea would seem to be the best of both worlds but all of this is new to me so I am counting on others like yourself who are braver than I.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:40 PM
brokestroke
Junior User
brokestroke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Posted how I set mine up earlier in this thread with copper coil. Anyways, put around 300 miles on the truck after doing this "mod" no issue. All was good until about 50 miles ago and the truck threw an exhaust pressure valve code (dont remember what P#) Cleared the code and it would pop back up when I hit 20psi boost. Took it apart and it was FULL of condensation, dripping actually. I am positive a lot of it came from the copper coil as my old drive pressure gauge would do the same. Although I believe the rubber MAP line made its share of condensation also due to it's length. My issue is it is basically winter here (Michigan) and cant run the risk of parts and sensors freezing due to condensation. Interested if anyone else who did it has condensation also. Really it is hard to escape when any length of hose etc. is added to a hot line that provides any type of "cooling" effect, condensation is almost always a result.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:00 AM
'88 E-350
Elder User
'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.'88 E-350 has a good reputation on FTE.
I figured the upside down sensor was going to be a problem. The coiled copper I only thought was an unnecessary extra, I didn't think about the fact that you made a condenser and live in a cold place. Get rid of the copper tube, mount the sensor right side up like stock, and you'll probably be fine. The rubber hose is way less likely to condense water. Just check the hose after a little running without the copper to verify.

With your current set-up the hose dips down right past the 'condenser coil' so I can imagine water pooled up in the hose. If you can run the hose without any low spots that'll assure that even if it does condense water it can't build up, most important would be to make sure it doesn't have any high spots higher than the MAP so water can't reach it. Water would be very unlikely to get into the MAP since the hose comes in from the bottom, but if the hose has a really high spot it could accumulate enough to become a problem. MAP and EBP sensors are mounted with the nipples down for good reasons. I can't think of any engine that has them upside down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.