Electrical gremlins - 72 hours to fix - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Electrical gremlins - 72 hours to fix

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 10-17-2018, 02:57 PM
lanneinbc
Senior User
lanneinbc is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted but have been stopping in every so often to read.

There's a massive joint force road block (RCMP, commercial vehicle safety enforcement, conservation officers, fisheries) in town, checking every vehicle. Yesterday I went through 6 times without difficulty, but today I was pulled over for not having daytime running lights working on my Excursion, and have 3 days to get them fixed and inspected.

If there's an easy way to fix them (fuse?) I'd be thrilled, but I suspect that those lights might be just the most noticeable symptom of other electrical issues. FWIW, all other exterior lights are working correctly, and I keep my light switch set to automatic.
Edit, 5 hours later: No such luck as a simple fuse change - was out all day but tried that first thing when I got home.

Other issues that pop up occasionally:
-back-up sensor quit working for months then started beeping randomly whenever I shifted into reverse and now seems to be somewhat accurate sometimes
-my heater control module on the dash will sometimes not work at all. No lights on the display, no heat or a/c. Usually it will work the next time I start the vehicle
-one day this weekend my fuel gauge didn't turn on, needle stayed at the bottom even though I had 3/4 tank of fuel. It only did that once and has been working since.

I stopped to see my mechanic who was elbow deep in an engine rebuild. He asked if I have the '05 or '04 instrument cluster. I have no idea - it's an '05 truck but seems to have mostly '04 parts. He suggested I start by looking at grounds, but I don't know where to begin looking.

I'd appreciate any assistance you could offer!

Old 10-17-2018, 03:36 PM
lanneinbc
Senior User

2004 cluster in my 2005 Excursion?

Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 PM
ScotF150
Junior User
ScotF150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am having a similar issue with my 2006 f350. I searched this forum for Instrument Cluster and found lots of info. I sent my IC off for repair and it should be back Friday (3 days). Good luck.
Scott

Old 10-17-2018, 11:25 PM
lanneinbc
Senior User
I've been reading further this evening, and I don't think my DRL problem is related to the cluster and that I may have two separate issues - for now I'm less concerned about the random electrical weirdnesses (yes that's a word, I just made it up) unless they are connected to my lights not working.

I've come to realize this evening that the first question when low-beam problems crop up is often "is it a Canadian truck?", and someone might assume that mine is since I live in British Columbia. However, I have a US model which would have had to have a DRL module installed to be insurable here. Current theory is that something has gone wrong with this module. I'll try to remember to update this thread as we learn more

Old 10-18-2018, 07:38 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
The DRL module is going to be foreign to many of us in the forum.

I have to go back 17 years to remember looking at that when I was playing with lighting on my 2001 truck. You’re probably on the right track.

But a question, from what I remember the harness was always there so truck heading to Canada could have the attribute easily installed. You show two trucks. Could you flip the module to get through the inspection or even to check if it is the module?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:04 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Plenty of threads about 05 Ex's with leftover early build engines, so I'm not surprised they did they did the same with the cluster.

In fact it's rare to hear of someone with a late build engine in an 05 from what I have read.
They are out there, but usually the first question an 05 Ex owner gets asked is "do you have an early build?"

Old 10-18-2018, 08:10 AM
lanneinbc
Senior User
That is an excellent suggestion, Jack. Worth checking for sure.

In my researching yesterday I learned that while the Canadian federal government made DRL mandatory equipment in 1989, there is only one province (Nova Scotia) that has a law stating that they must be used. It's a bit of useless trivia, but I like useless trivia.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 AM
lanneinbc
Senior User
Originally Posted by navistarnut View Post
Plenty of threads about 05 Ex's with leftover early build engines, so I'm not surprised they did they did the same with the cluster.

In fact it's rare to hear of someone with a late build engine in an 05 from what I have read.
They are out there, but usually the first question an 05 Ex owner gets asked is "do you have an early build?"
My build date is September 11, 2004 - IIRC production of Excursions stopped 10 days later.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:16 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
It looks like an 04 dash to me, but I'm not confident of that. There is a difference in the 04 and 05 junction boxes I believe, so maybe you could tell that way.

Maybe send m-chan68 a PM. He would be able to help/

Old 10-18-2018, 08:18 AM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Once the decision was made to stop production on the Excursion there where no efforts to engineer updates other then the standard parts maturing procedures of fixing in-production issues.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:31 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
It looks like an 04 dash to me, but I'm not confident of that. There is a difference in the 04 and 05 junction boxes I believe, so maybe you could tell that way.

Maybe send m-chan68 a PM. He would be able to help/
No boost gauge, so that makes it an 04 dash Mark, not?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:33 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by lanneinbc View Post
That is an excellent suggestion, Jack. Worth checking for sure.

In my researching yesterday I learned that while the Canadian federal government made DRL mandatory equipment in 1989, there is only one province (Nova Scotia) that has a law stating that they must be used. It's a bit of useless trivia, but I like useless trivia.
That useless bit of trivia still begs the question, then why is BC saying you HAVE to use them if they are only mandatory in one province and not all of them?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:34 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
No boost gauge, so that makes it an 04 dash Mark, not?
You are right Mike, I forgot about that being an 05 change.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Thing that strikes me, why do they make you go through that six times in one day? That's nuts.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:43 AM
lanneinbc
Senior User
That useless bit of trivia still begs the question, then why is BC saying you HAVE to use them if they are only mandatory in one province and not all of them?
A fine point of distinction - RCMP (federal police service) is enforcing the Transport Canada regulation saying that I have to have them installed in the vehicle. The officer who pulled me over obviously noticed that the lights weren't on, but he had me test them before he wrote the order to get them fixed. My understanding is that he couldn't fine me for not using them, only for not having them in the first place. (He didn't give me a fine, but could have I think.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.