2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Best Spray in bed liner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 11:43 PM
James Robertson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Spray in bed liner?

What are your experiences with Rhino, Tuff, Line-X etc. Quality, cost, durability? Which is best?

I am concerned about over-spray, full coverage in hard to reach areas and masking lines that might not be straight? Thoughts?

Thanks

Old 10-17-2018, 12:12 AM
K3JOE
Freshman User
I have the rhino liner in my 2017 F-350 CCSB it’s been great so far. The shop did an excellent job spraying the liner and cheaper then Line X

Old 10-17-2018, 12:16 AM
Straightgrain
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
DIY or pay someone else?

I did my own for $72.00+ some pain.

I used Herculiner; 1 gallon was more than enough for 2 coats.

It doesn't look as even as the pro's spray-in jobs, but it's thick , durable, and I have the $400.00 in my wallet.

The bed bolts need 3 coats.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Straightgrain; 10-17-2018 at 12:17 AM. Reason: fat fingers-tiny phone
Old 10-17-2018, 05:59 AM
potato potato
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am very happy with the look and durability of Line-x but it really comes down to the quality of work at the shop you choose in my opinion.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:23 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 940 Likes on 579 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightgrain
I did my own for $72.00+ some pain.

I used Herculiner; 1 gallon was more than enough for 2 coats.

It doesn't look as even as the pro's spray-in jobs, but it's thick , durable, and I have the $400.00 in my wallet.

The bed bolts need 3 coats.

Hope this helps.
On a similar note, I've done 2 trucks Including my current 2017 with Raptor purchased from eBay. Prep work sucked, but I look at the money I saved over hiring it done.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:42 AM
Mack3006
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I think there was a poll about this. Can remember when.
Anyways, I have Line-X with the UV coating over it. Had it about 10 months. Very very very happy.

I have a thread started about bed covers, in that post Are a few good pics of the Line-X.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:21 AM
RubyLariat
Freshman User
I’m extremely happy with my line-x. I had them do my front and rear bumper, running boards and bed. No issues with durability. My last truck, I put a nice scratch in the liner from a backhoe bucket and it didn’t go completely through. They fixed the scratch with no problems and couldn’t tell it happened.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:34 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I have a Line-X and it is very nice. I've had Rhino, Toff, and factory Ford spray in liners; I believe Line-X to be the best. But as others have mentioned, it all comes down to how well the guy that preps and applies it does.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:35 AM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Line-X hands down. I did a lot of research before I got my current truck done.

From what I've read it appears Rhino is a softer rubber and Line-x is a more durable coating.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:37 AM
N2dunz
Senior User
Inyati.
Have had that brand for my last 4 trucks.
Never had an issue.
Well worth the investment to not deal with that myself.
1 hour in their lobby and I was headed home.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 AM
2004SD
Freshman User
Bullet

I had line-x on my 2004 and was very happy with it, it faded some in 13 years. I had Bullet sprayed on my 2017 and it looks the same as line- x and supposed to be uv resistant with a good warranty and didnt cost as much.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 AM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by potato potato
I am very happy with the look and durability of Line-x but it really comes down to the quality of work at the shop you choose in my opinion.
This is hands down the most important thing! Go into the shops in your area to ask for a quote and ask to see some pictures of their work and ask them to show you their shop and walk you through the process.

I was pretty nervous about getting it done on my last truck (this one has it from the factory & I wish it didn't) and there was both Rhino Liner and Line-X nearby. The Rhino liner place was definitely cheaper, but they also didn't want to take the time to really talk to me. Which gave me the impression that they may do a rush job. They also only had a few pictures on the wall which I'm pretty sure were examples from the manufacturer.

The Line-X guy took me back in the bay and let me see them taping off a truck and explained how everything worked. He also explaind the UV protection option that the offer and that in reality it was pretty much just a cosmetic thing for people who don't want a faded bed after a few years. It also makes the surface a little slicker then without. It wasn't a difficult decision to go with them and I even paid extra for the UV protection. Probably one of the best investments to any vehicle I've had. After 4 years the bedliner still looked brand new.

I am extreamly OCD about my vehicles and I explaind this to them ahead of time. I don't know if they took any extra care because of our discussion, but it came out looking great.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Mowjobs2
Freshman User
Line-x. It’s the bed of a truck so I don’t get anything fancy like fade resistant stuff. Takes a freakin beating. Sliding pallets of pavers or retaining wall blocks has never hurt mine.
All my trucks have had it. All our farmers trucks have it. Nobody regrets it. Nobody wishes they went in another direction. Nobody I roll with or know shows trucks. We use trucks. And our beds are used hard
Additional thoughts:
1) if you have paid for one of these expensive trucks then just pay to have it done. 50k truck, what’s an additional 500 bucks.
2) demand they remove the bolts which hold the bed on and don’t just spray over them. That’s the cheap fast lazy approach just spraying over them. Make em do the job right!

Old 10-17-2018, 09:09 AM
N2dunz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mowjobs2
Line-x. It’s the bed of a truck so I don’t get anything fancy like fade resistant stuff. Takes a freakin beating. Sliding pallets of pavers or retaining wall blocks has never hurt mine.
All my trucks have had it. All our farmers trucks have it. Nobody regrets it. Nobody wishes they went in another direction. Nobody I roll with or know shows trucks. We use trucks. And our beds are used hard
Additional thoughts:
1) if you have paid for one of these expensive trucks then just pay to have it done. 50k truck, what’s an additional 500 bucks.
2) demand they remove the bolts which hold the bed on and don’t just spray over them. That’s the cheap fast lazy approach just spraying over them. Make em do the job right!
You must not be familiar with newer trucks.
The bed bolts are a 1 time use per Ford with these Aluminum beds.
You have to install new ones.
Not fast and lazy, smart to spray over them IMO.
Unless you want to pay for new bolts, but you can't expect the bed liner company to pay for them.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 AM
Mowjobs2
Freshman User
I’m not going to lie I did not know they are one time bolts. Either the shop I used found a way to magically use the same bolts or keeps a box of new ones laying around, I told him don’t spray over the bolts and he did not. Not one truck on the farm has them sprayed over either round here. It’s up there with the worst jobs on the planet removing the line x when you wanna remove those bolts. But nope, had no clue it’s a one time bolt.

Quick Reply: Best Spray in bed liner?