2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tailgate opening on its own CAUGHT ON TAPE

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 11:16 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,729 Likes on 1,327 Posts
Originally Posted by tdc_worm
Maybe you haven't experienced life enough (just by way of where you live) to have had the pleasure of walking through a parking lot in a 35* monsoon of a downpoor. Your arms are both full of items you have purchased. You get to your vehicle (car/truck/minivan/etc) and are still marginally dry. You have to sit your goods down on a parking lot that has water streaming across it. While you are fumbling for your key and fumbling to insert into the lock, the once semi dry portions of your clothing are now saturated, along with the goods you had to sit down to free up a hand. You get everything loaded. You drag excess water into your truck and it soaks into your seats and carpet, causing the foam to stink or the leather to water log. Your soaked and the vehicle isnt up to temperature so you are cold because it is 35*. Yeah, screw that key fob and remote start, haha. I'll own it...I am just not as tough as some, but I gave up electively being miserable when my service ended with the Army!
A remote to drop the tailgate won't change anything about what you said. And you'd still have to have a free hand to press the button

If it's raining cats & dogs, you are probably going to put your items in the cab...and I don't think Ford has put automatic opening doors on their trucks yet, so you'd still have to set your items down (or risk scratching the door with an armload of stuff) to open the door on your $80k truck the sames as with my $3k Bronco. Most people will wait it out, have their SO help them, or not go shopping on a crappy day like that.

I'm 31. I hate all this technology in vehicles. Others may praise it, but all I see are dollar signs and headaches (this thread is proof). Just imagine what this forum will look like when these trucks get some age on them. Won't be no restoring these things like the pre-80's trucks...

Old 10-20-2018, 07:18 AM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This is what happens when you combine soccer mom and pick up truck. Too much useless stuff to go wrong.
Wait untill there push button transfer case don’t work when you need it.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:53 AM
tdc_worm
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
A remote to drop the tailgate won't change anything about what you said. And you'd still have to have a free hand to press the button

If it's raining cats & dogs, you are probably going to put your items in the cab...and I don't think Ford has put automatic opening doors on their trucks yet, so you'd still have to set your items down (or risk scratching the door with an armload of stuff) to open the door on your $80k truck the sames as with my $3k Bronco. Most people will wait it out, have their SO help them, or not go shopping on a crappy day like that.

I'm 31. I hate all this technology in vehicles. Others may praise it, but all I see are dollar signs and headaches (this thread is proof). Just imagine what this forum will look like when these trucks get some age on them. Won't be no restoring these things like the pre-80's trucks...
you are 100% right. and a remote to drop the tailgate also has zero to do with Pennsylvaniabo's comment about key fobs. if you read my response a little closer, the whole thing was fashioned around getting things inside a vehicle, not in the bed of a truck, when there is inclement weather. thanks for pointing out that I am an idiot and that I should not go get things when it is raining. Ii had never considered it. that is probably a good professional and diet strategy. Its rained for nearly a month in Central TX. Perhaps I should have told my boss I needed to leave work to go grocery shopping the moments that the rain lightened up. Brilliant!

i digress...
You'll notice several posts up that I don't like the tailgate option. its a solution looking for a problem. Good news for you: I am sure there is a trim level that comes with out it.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:55 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dnewton3
My XL looks better and better every day ....
Less tech means less stuff to go wrong.
I wasnt gonna say anything but you nailed it with this comment

Old 10-20-2018, 09:59 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
This is what happens when you combine soccer mom and pick up truck. Too much useless stuff to go wrong.
at least for now ford still offers manual 4wd on the super duty. BUT that push button crap will fail just like it has on the 99 up super duty trucks. Just when you need it most the motor or relay or wiring goes bad LOL

Old 10-20-2018, 10:17 AM
ZAR2USA
Senior User
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
2019 Honda Odyssey now have push button transmission. No more lever, only pushing buttons for Park, Reverse, Drive. Go figure, next step would be AI control with your mind and thoughts I'm sure......

Old 10-21-2018, 04:00 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,729 Likes on 1,327 Posts
Originally Posted by tdc_worm
you are 100% right. and a remote to drop the tailgate also has zero to do with Pennsylvaniabo's comment about key fobs. if you read my response a little closer, the whole thing was fashioned around getting things inside a vehicle, not in the bed of a truck, when there is inclement weather. thanks for pointing out that I am an idiot and that I should not go get things when it is raining. Ii had never considered it. that is probably a good professional and diet strategy. Its rained for nearly a month in Central TX. Perhaps I should have told my boss I needed to leave work to go grocery shopping the moments that the rain lightened up. Brilliant!

i digress...
You'll notice several posts up that I don't like the tailgate option. its a solution looking for a problem. Good news for you: I am sure there is a trim level that comes with out it.
You're right. I didn't read your post quite close enough to know you were referring to mainly the remote unlock feature. I apologize. I was trying to keep with the thread's original title about remote tailgates.

I recently came from a 4-year stint in a 2007 Dodge 2500 ST with manual windows and locks (not to mention another 1/2 dozen + trucks before that). I had to use a key every time to get in my truck. I live in hot & humid VA, so summer thunderstorms (and 2 recent hurricanes) are normal. I still never had a problem.
It's funny how we somehow turn tiny inconveniences into big issues just for the sake of an argument.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:47 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
at least for now ford still offers manual 4wd on the super duty. BUT that push button crap will fail just like it has on the 99 up super duty trucks. Just when you need it most the motor or relay or wiring goes bad LOL
Yes, but you can’t get the manual tranfer case and the power tailgate together. The manual is only on the lower trim levels XL and XLT.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:58 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
WEll, just had mine in the shop for back up camera not working intermittently and tailgate dropping on its own. Dealer says they cannot find a TSB for any year super duty for these issues. Anyone have the TSB number for the tailgate drop on the 2017s that were mentioned above. here are pics of my issues

Old 11-14-2018, 01:19 PM
docup!
Junior User
all your dealer had to do is google it......
Ford had issued technical service bulletin (TSB) 17-2196 to dealers in October 2017 for 2017 F-Super Duty trucks built on or before June 7, 2017. Titled "Intermittent Electrical Concerns, Rear Parking Aid Camera Inop And/Or Uncommanded Tailgate Opening," the TSB talked about a wiring harness numbered 14405.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ZAR2USA
2019 Honda Odyssey now have push button transmission. No more lever, only pushing buttons for Park, Reverse, Drive. Go figure, next step would be AI control with your mind and thoughts I'm sure......
Have had push button trans for years and years in Firetrucks.. works great!

Old 11-14-2018, 01:38 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by docup!
all your dealer had to do is google it......
Ford had issued technical service bulletin (TSB) 17-2196 to dealers in October 2017 for 2017 F-Super Duty trucks built on or before June 7, 2017. Titled "Intermittent Electrical Concerns, Rear Parking Aid Camera Inop And/Or Uncommanded Tailgate Opening," the TSB talked about a wiring harness numbered 14405.
thanks. I have forwarded this on to them. Much appreciated.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Jaymo25
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2017 King Ranch F250 and has happened about ten times since mid 2017. First few times I thought it was me.

So, to answer a few comments, it’s not user error hitting the key fob. My neighbor was behind me a few weeks ago when it happened. Keys were in seat next to me.

It it is a safety issue. Not to you but the those traveling behind you should something fall out of the tailgate.

Comments about why do you need an auto tailgate are irrelevant. It comes with certain models. No one buys it just for an auto tailgate. It’s pretty cool and all but people act like it’s an add on.

I also filed a complaint. More need to do so for a recall.

I would also also like to see a tailgate open alert added.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaymo25
I have a 2017 King Ranch F250 and has happened about ten times since mid 2017. First few times I thought it was me.

So, to answer a few comments, it’s not user error hitting the key fob. My neighbor was behind me a few weeks ago when it happened. Keys were in seat next to me.

It it is a safety issue. Not to you but the those traveling behind you should something fall out of the tailgate.

Comments about why do you need an auto tailgate are irrelevant. It comes with certain models. No one buys it just for an auto tailgate. It’s pretty cool and all but people act like it’s an add on.

I also filed a complaint. More need to do so for a recall.

I would also also like to see a tailgate open alert added.
Did you take it to Ford to have the TSB performed?

Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 PM
burgy
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
One thing, never close the gate from the side 1 handed. Two hands, dead center. Firm slam.

Quick Reply: Tailgate opening on its own CAUGHT ON TAPE