1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

97 Expedition 5.4L Rough Running Issues

Old 10-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Vercus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 Expedition 5.4L Rough Running Issues

Hello all,
First off, I am new to this forum, and new to Ford trucks, but not to Ford cars. I've driven Panthers most of my life, first the 80s ones with the 302, then several with the 4.6L. As such, I feel like I've become pretty familiar with the modular engines, and what to expect from a good running machine.

However, I checked out a '97 Expedition today that totally stumped me. Seemed to have a multitude of running issues. I didn't even test drive it. I'm just curious to see what you guys think, so I can be more informed for future vehicles.

Basically here's the spiel:
'97 Expedition 5.4L with 218,000 miles. It had a stupid K&N "cold air" intake that in all reality was positioned right next to the exhaust manifold. I don't know why people bother with those stupid things. The factory airbox has cooler air going in than any aftermarket junk.

Started it up, and immediately I could tell something wasn't right. Wouldn't idle steady. Was always struggling to stay running. Idled rough and engine shook around. I have a bluetooth OBD II scanner that reports to my phone running Torque Pro.

It showed Lean Mix on both banks, as well as misfire on cylinder 4. I put my hand to the exhaust pipe and it was puffing pretty good. Sounded real choppy. However, as soon as you gave it gas, it smoothed out. When I let off though, it didn't want to go back to idle. Would hang up for a good 10-15 seconds.

Went to look at O2 sensor readings, and even fully warmed up, all 4 wouldn't report. Also wouldn't report short or long term fuel trims on either bank. When I queried the computer for fuel system status (open or closed loop) it said "system failure".

Next for jollies, I tried removing the oil filler cap with it running. Now with my 2001 Grand Marquis this has absolutely no effect on how it runs, and I suspect the same should happen here. However, when I did, it really struggled to stay running. As soon as I put it back on, the idle increased.

In general, the engine was very lazy feeling, didn't want to rev, and labored a lot. Seemed totally shot. When I discovered the grapefruit size piece of rocker/floor pan missing due to rust, that was it.

Do all 97-03 Expeditions fall apart like this, or was this one just really abused and neglected? I liked the interior design, layout, and all the room, but this one was just WAY too rough for me. What do you think caused this mechanical decripitude, and what should I be on the lookout for in the future?

Thanks a lot!
-Jon

Old 10-17-2018, 01:23 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Vercus
....Started it up, and immediately I could tell something wasn't right. Wouldn't idle steady. Was always struggling to stay running. Idled rough and engine shook around. I have a bluetooth OBD II scanner that reports to my phone running Torque Pro.

It showed Lean Mix on both banks, as well as misfire on cylinder 4. I put my hand to the exhaust pipe and it was puffing pretty good. Sounded real choppy. However, as soon as you gave it gas, it smoothed out. When I let off though, it didn't want to go back to idle. Would hang up for a good 10-15 seconds. ...
Sounds like several problems going.
The misfire on #4 could just be a degraded boot.
The poor idle may be a vacuum hose leak, high probability the PCV hose.
The MAF and IAC may need to be cleaned.
If the misfire has been there awhile the CAT may be clogged creating an exhaust restriction.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:00 PM
king-david
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vercus
Hello all,
First off, I am new to this forum, and new to Ford trucks, but not to Ford cars. I've driven Panthers most of my life, first the 80s ones with the 302, then several with the 4.6L. As such, I feel like I've become pretty familiar with the modular engines, and what to expect from a good running machine.

However, I checked out a '97 Expedition today that totally stumped me. Seemed to have a multitude of running issues. I didn't even test drive it. I'm just curious to see what you guys think, so I can be more informed for future vehicles.

Basically here's the spiel:
'97 Expedition 5.4L with 218,000 miles. It had a stupid K&N "cold air" intake that in all reality was positioned right next to the exhaust manifold. I don't know why people bother with those stupid things. The factory airbox has cooler air going in than any aftermarket junk.

Started it up, and immediately I could tell something wasn't right. Wouldn't idle steady. Was always struggling to stay running. Idled rough and engine shook around. I have a bluetooth OBD II scanner that reports to my phone running Torque Pro.

It showed Lean Mix on both banks, as well as misfire on cylinder 4. I put my hand to the exhaust pipe and it was puffing pretty good. Sounded real choppy. However, as soon as you gave it gas, it smoothed out. When I let off though, it didn't want to go back to idle. Would hang up for a good 10-15 seconds.

Went to look at O2 sensor readings, and even fully warmed up, all 4 wouldn't report. Also wouldn't report short or long term fuel trims on either bank. When I queried the computer for fuel system status (open or closed loop) it said "system failure".

Next for jollies, I tried removing the oil filler cap with it running. Now with my 2001 Grand Marquis this has absolutely no effect on how it runs, and I suspect the same should happen here. However, when I did, it really struggled to stay running. As soon as I put it back on, the idle increased.

In general, the engine was very lazy feeling, didn't want to rev, and labored a lot. Seemed totally shot. When I discovered the grapefruit size piece of rocker/floor pan missing due to rust, that was it.

Do all 97-03 Expeditions fall apart like this, or was this one just really abused and neglected? I liked the interior design, layout, and all the room, but this one was just WAY too rough for me. What do you think caused this mechanical decripitude, and what should I be on the lookout for in the future?

Thanks a lot!
-Jon
It's 21 years old.. There are so many variables that could affect how it looks today. One bad owner for even a few short months would make a Bentley look like that 21 years later.

That being said... Could be any number of things.. head gasket, coil, plugs, vacuum, ignition... etc etc. Sounds like you already decided not to buy it though right?