6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Batteries Plus X2?

Old 10-17-2018, 04:46 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 407 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by akblackfoot
I got them at Batteries Plus. 10% discount for online order and in store pickup. I looked at the Odyssey but they were significantly higher up here and the 5 year warranty is nice on these. Never thought I'd spend this much on batteries but after paying attention to them and having the second set of Interstates from Costco not make it 2 years, I'm just going for it. I have the cable upgrades on my rig and 200amp alternator also.
I hope you returned the Costco batts for a refund... That's how mine got cheaper was getting money back from Costco and finding some dud batts to take in for the core charge...

Good job!

Old 10-17-2018, 05:00 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford
Well , if it were me , I’d get the Interstates from Costco , every four years you take them in for brand new ones , my truck can’t be down for a minute , if something does go south Costco is close , instead of waiting for Internet Warrantee .we also have a Ag supply that sells Interstate and both places are well stocked.
edit just noticed you already did the Costco batts , don’t know why , I’ve had good results from Interstate but not the Costco Kirkland brand they use to leak
It's not an Internet Warranty. There is a Batteries Plus right in town here and also close enough to anywhere I'll travel up here. There are more Batteries Plus stores then Costco's up here and one is closer. "Truck can't be down for a minute", that's why I'm going to these since 2 sets of Costco batteries so far haven't lasted. Probably overkill but oh well.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:09 PM
markw365
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a battery systems by you, they sell both the northstar and the odyssey batteries, along with deka and century, and trojan. Good prices, about 250-260 for the group 65 AGM.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:21 AM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Yes, because no matter what, battery temperature effects current capacity and flow.
Doesn't having a charger on it warm it up? I don't want them to get too warm, which can also be detrimental.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:39 AM
markw365
Senior User
Doesn't having a charger on it warm it up? I don't want them to get too warm, which can also be detrimental.
A smart tender type charger will not cause a problem. Just make sure you use a decent one. They'll go into a trickle/float mode when the battery is full.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:51 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,400 Posts
I'd really have to dig to find a battery temp check charging only. But you're in the perfect environment to test it out.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:09 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I'm using a CTEK 4.3 on the truck, and I also bought an Odyssey Extreme for my TJ Rubicon so use it for that as well. Even tying it to a pair of those batts, it doesn't take all that long to go into Float mode...

IMHO, it would be plenty for your DD, when you might not drive it for a bit....

Scott
Would this do the job? It's waterproof.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:08 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Would this do the job? It's waterproof.

NO!!! For some reason, NOCO's charging algorithm will actually weaken a TPPL battery. This came up before and Enersys has told Noco what their issue is, but to my knowledge they haven't fixed it. I already had a Noco like you show, and got the CTEK just for the TPPLs - I use the Noco for standard AGMs...
Scott

Old 10-19-2018, 04:33 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
NO!!! For some reason, NOCO's charging algorithm will actually weaken a TPPL battery. This came up before and Enersys has told Noco what their issue is, but to my knowledge they haven't fixed it. I already had a Noco like you show, and got the CTEK just for the TPPLs - I use the Noco for standard AGMs...
Scott
K. I changed my order to the CTEK 4.3 Polar. Figured why not, it's Alaska..... :-)

Old 10-19-2018, 05:36 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
And your TPPLs will love you for it....

Old 10-19-2018, 07:10 PM
markw365
Senior User
I had to look up TPPL, looks like the northstars are TPPL AGM batteries.

Mine sits for a few weeks at a time, but winters are brutal here, sometimes it gets into the 50's at night. I may look into a trickle charger like a CTEK.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:32 AM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Scott
Is it safe to start (remote start) the vehicle when the CTEK is plugged in and connected? When it gets really cold I use my remote start in the mornings and will have this plugged in along with my block and battery heaters.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:51 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Is it safe to start (remote start) the vehicle when the CTEK is plugged in and connected? When it gets really cold I use my remote start in the mornings and will have this plugged in along with my block and battery heaters.
All I can tell you is I have done it (by accident) and no problem. But your CTEK will be connected all the time, just not plugged in. I'd check the manual or call them, but most chargers I've ever used can handle another incoming voltage (alternator, solar charger, etc.) without harming them...

Scott

Old 10-24-2018, 11:23 PM
cjfarm11
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
CAT batteries is what I have been using up here in Montana and they have been really good for me. I got news ones just the other day to replace aging ford batteries and they were $236

Old 12-16-2018, 06:41 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The X2s were on sale at Batteries Plus... 10% off for the on-line order and $30 mail in rebate. Makes them about $260 a battery with a 5 year warranty, pretty good deal.

Like Bill, I've been running the Advanced Auto AGMs and a couple days ago, after sitting for a spell, they hit 10.8v. A quick check on the tester and one of them failed the test for an 850CCA test. It passed at 750CCA, but they are rated at 930CCA... so back they go! 230amp alternator and three batteries, still charging them at 14.29v, not an alternator issue and I know the cables are balancing the batteries very well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Batteries Plus X2?