Dennis Carpenter rear fenders - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dennis Carpenter rear fenders

Old 10-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Last chance 53
Senior User
Last chance 53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Last chance 53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Dennis Carpenter rear fenders

I bought a set of the Dennis Carpenter rear fenders my 53 and they have Quite a few ripples in them, I know aftermarket stuff always needs work but I thought fenders from the original dies would be better. Anybody else use these and how were yours? My luck I got a bad set! Just wondering Thanks Larry

Old 10-16-2018, 03:31 PM
moejr
Senior User
moejr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Where are the ripples, in the mounting flange? I got a set from DC for my 49, no complaints, good quality & fit.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:39 PM
Last chance 53
Senior User
Last chance 53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Last chance 53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
No the ripples are the outside around the wheel openings. Looking from the side about 2 and 10 on the fender if that makes sense. Not a huge deal but sad you have to start hammering on new fenders.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:08 PM
ct50f1
Elder User
ct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to beholdct50f1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by moejr View Post
Where are the ripples, in the mounting flange? I got a set from DC for my 49, no complaints, good quality & fit.
I also got the rear fenders for my truck (late '50) from DC and didn't have any problems. Maybe it's a problem with those made for '53 and later.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:43 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I have repop fronts on my panel and repops on the back of my pickup and had no problems other than the profile doesn't match that of the hood on the left front fender. Both vehicles a 56

Old 10-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Last chance 53
Senior User
My taiwan fronts are better than the usa made rears!! Oh well hammer and dolly time. It would bet the original dies are worn out by now.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:07 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Most any of the US made parts I got were garbage compared to the Blue Oval Taiwan pieces .Kind of sad when they say buy USA made and you end up having to rework or throw out all together..

Old 10-16-2018, 08:14 PM
Last chance 53
Senior User
Must of the blue oval parts fit good except the right outer cab corner, that was not even close!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:25 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
They aren't perfect but easy enough to work with, I had to rework the right rear outside corner patch. It's to be expected I guess, talking with body men they say the repops for the newer vehicles are the same way..

Old 10-16-2018, 09:35 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
I would return them. I have seen many repops and none have the sort of damage that you describe. For the $$$ you paid you should not have to be doing metal work on them.
jerry_s bought all four fenders from DC and just painted them and bolted them up, take a look https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-the-54-a.html

Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 PM
Last chance 53
Senior User
The place I bought them from went out of business so no returning now, might call DC and see what they have to say, Thanks

Old 10-18-2018, 12:46 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Last chance 53 View Post
I bought a set of the Dennis Carpenter rear fenders my 53 and they have Quite a few ripples in them, I know aftermarket stuff always needs work but I thought fenders from the original dies would be better. Anybody else use these and how were yours? My luck I got a bad set! Just wondering Thanks Larry
Original dies don't mean much if they are not maintained properly. They wear after use. Deep draws are usually stamped in stages with several different dies. But ripples are usually caused by the wrong steel being used or they skipped a stamping stage maybe because that die was too worn or broken. I would send them back. Sadly with DC I think that you have to pay the return freight unless you can shame them into paying it. Make sure that they check their inventory before sending you replacements that more than likely have the same problem. I would take some pictures and send them to them so they know exactly what you are concerned about.

Here is a video of multistage floorpan stamping at GM, Skip to the 2:00 min mark.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.