Notices
General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what does a diesel throttle do?

Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 AM
aj92F250IDI
New User
aj92F250IDI is starting off with a positive reputation.
what does a diesel throttle do?

may sound stupid but can anyone give me a simple explanation of what exactly the throttle does on a diesel engine ? like a 7.3 idi or a distributor style injection pump? I understand that diesels dont have a throttle body or butterfly like a gas engine to regulate air and that they are controlled by adding fuel.. but physically what happens when i push the pedal? what is it doing exactly to add fuel? I've searched the whole internet for a simple answer to this and cannot find one .. thank you

Old 10-16-2018, 11:22 AM
Olds64
Elder User
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Here's a cool article on the DB2 Stanadyne Injection Pump that doesn't get too technical:

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/exp...njection-pump/

Old 10-16-2018, 11:31 AM
aj92F250IDI
New User
aj92F250IDI is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes! thank you very much that is exactly what I wanted.. the metering valve is what I am trying to learn about.. thanks for that link

Old 12-26-2018, 11:22 PM
Brandon Tepper
New User
Brandon Tepper is starting off with a positive reputation.
that metering valve is what you can modify in the throttle body or whatever you would like to call it, to get that black smoke. now, it isnt going to increase your HP, and it sure isnt going to help fuel economy, but by modding that part, you can adjust how much fuel goes into your cylinders (too much fuel = some extra that wasnt burnt off, and hence, black smoke). just incase if you were wondering.. lol

Old 12-27-2018, 02:17 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to beholdPaw's 150 Lariat is a splendid one to behold
Wow...years ago it meant setting the rpm's to run a pump using the power take off. It was done manually by using a throttle handle with a cable to set the engine rev's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: