Notices

Making biodiesel for 6.7 powerstroke

Old 10-16-2018, 09:44 AM
rjrandy96
Senior User
rjrandy96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Making biodiesel for 6.7 powerstroke

there is no station close enough to me to make it worth getting B20 so I wanted to plan on making it myself. I didnít want to push it or anything on how much %, b20 is fine with me and I know itís rated for that in my 6.7. I just wanted to know if someone could explain the washing of it a bit more? Specifically wet washing as I fill one every other week 30~ gal so the time of settling isnít an issue but I just wanted to make sure you add water at about a 1-1 ratio and mix it and kettle it settle? Is that really it? And it will go through atleast 2 fuel water seperated filters before entering my tank to be safe

Old 04-24-2019, 07:09 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
if the water emulsifies...the water separator will not trap it...it will appear as a Vaseline looking substance on you filters..eventually clogging them.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:38 AM
binuya
Posting Guru
binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by rjrandy96 View Post
Is that really it?
No offense, but not even close.

Settling alone will never be enough to dry biodiesel. It can look crystal clear, but can contain dissolved water. In fact, since biodiesel is hygroscopic, properly dried biodiesel can absorb enough moisture from the atmosphere to potentially cause problems down the line. You need to be below 500ppm moisture.

I have been water washing for over 10 years and use a combination of bubbling and modified pump washing. It works for me, my fuel is great, and I currently have no desire to move to any form of dry washing. I would estimate with each 40 gallon batch, I use around 30-40 gallons of water over the course of the wash process. Then I test for soap content before proceeding to the drying process.
I use a heated spray dry process and utilize the WHW method of testing moisture content to below 500ppm.

Here's a couple links you might want to look over before proceeding: http://www.make-biodiesel.org/Water-...biodiesel.html http://www.make-biodiesel.org/Qualit...er-in-wvo.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: