who makes a 215/55/r16 97h light truck tire? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Transit Connect
Reload this Page >

who makes a 215/55/r16 97h light truck tire?

Notices
Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

who makes a 215/55/r16 97h light truck tire?

  #1  
Old 10-15-2018, 03:45 AM
cjben
cjben is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,321
cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.
who makes a 215/55/r16 97h light truck tire?

Well,I spoke too soon. starting to have problems with the all seasons on the wife's 2016 transit connect LWB. Need a more durable tire then all seasons as we she drives about 3 miles of gravel every day. Only 45,000 miles and looking for our 3rd set of tires already. Has to be something more durable then all seasons available. Ideas please. Thanks!!
 
  #2  
Old 10-15-2018, 04:12 AM
seville009
seville009 is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,689
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Google the size.....presumably will provide you with many choices.

 
  #3  
Old 10-15-2018, 12:48 PM
cjben
cjben is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,321
cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.
I did but every brand in that size comes up,not just light truck tires.
 
  #4  
Old 10-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Ford Fan
Ford Fan is offline
Freshman User
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 30
Ford Fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Try continental. What we use on our company trucks.
 
  #5  
Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 AM
Fifty150's Avatar
Fifty150
Fifty150 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 415
Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Continental is the OEM.

From what I've seen, LT tires are not made in such a small size. Best of my recollection is that in the OEM size, you will only find All Season tires. A guy on fordtransitconnectforum.com is using 215/65R16 on OEM steel wheels. https://fordtransitconnectforum.com/...r-at2-upgrade/ No rubbing with full lock steering. Of course, now you have to weigh the pros and cons of using a different than OEM tire size.


https://smile.amazon.com/BFGoodrich-...17&ref=sr_1_17

Click image to open expanded view

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 Radial Tire -LT215/65R16/D 103/100S


by BFGoodrich
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 customer review
Price:$176.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

 
  #6  
Old 10-22-2018, 05:23 AM
Fifty150's Avatar
Fifty150
Fifty150 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 415
Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
 
  #7  
Old 10-22-2018, 05:26 AM
Fifty150's Avatar
Fifty150
Fifty150 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 415
Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
 
  #8  
Old 10-22-2018, 08:28 AM
cjben
cjben is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,321
cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Ford Fan View Post
Try continental. What we use on our company trucks.
that's what it came with,they only lasted 30,000 miles. can't handle gravel roads
 
  #9  
Old 10-22-2018, 08:34 AM
cjben
cjben is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,321
cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Fifty150 View Post
Continental is the OEM.

From what I've seen, LT tires are not made in such a small size. Best of my recollection is that in the OEM size, you will only find All Season tires. A guy on fordtransitconnectforum.com is using 215/65R16 on OEM steel wheels. https://fordtransitconnectforum.com/...r-at2-upgrade/ No rubbing with full lock steering. Of course, now you have to weigh the pros and cons of using a different than OEM tire size.


https://smile.amazon.com/BFGoodrich-...17&ref=sr_1_17

Click image to open expanded view

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 Radial Tire -LT215/65R16/D 103/100S


by BFGoodrich
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 customer review
Price:$176.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

yeah,I saw that post. Not sure I want that radical of a tire for the wife's DD but it is a thought.
 
  #10  
Old 10-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Fifty150's Avatar
Fifty150
Fifty150 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 415
Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by cjben View Post
that's what it came with,they only lasted 30,000 miles. can't handle gravel roads
OEM tires have a 40,000 mile warranty. Did dealership prorate the pricing?
 
  #11  
Old 11-08-2018, 05:12 PM
EvanBly
EvanBly is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 271
EvanBly is starting off with a positive reputation.
30,000miles isn't much for a good tire. On the other hand, the price of the BFs would just about two sets of other brands.
 
  #12  
Old 11-09-2018, 03:11 AM
Fifty150's Avatar
Fifty150
Fifty150 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 415
Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The OEM tires have a 40,000 mile warranty. If they only lasted 30,000 miles, the dealer or tire seller should pro-rate them under warranty. Some tires have 50,000 & 60,000 mile warranties. In my personal experience, I've never had tires that did not last the warranty period. But then again, we all have different driving conditions.

When you spend twice the money; do you get twice the product? Are the BFGoodrich tires twice as good? Will you get twice the handling, half the braking distance, twice the traction, and be able to drive it for 80,000 miles? Not impossible.

Hankook ATM tires on my truck ran for 10 years, still had plenty of tread when I replaced them. I did not buy new tires because the tread wore down. After 10 years, I could see the small cracks in the rubber, one tire had a slow leak, and I did not want to risk a blowout. After 10 years, and possibly 100,000 miles (since I forgot to write down the mileage at purchase), I think I got my money's worth. But truck tires are different. They have huge lugs, with deep grooves, which could take forever to wear down.
 
  #13  
Old 11-09-2018, 04:58 PM
EvanBly
EvanBly is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 271
EvanBly is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Fifty150 View Post
The OEM tires have a 40,000 mile warranty. If they only lasted 30,000 miles, the dealer or tire seller should pro-rate them under warranty. Some tires have 50,000 & 60,000 mile warranties. In my personal experience, I've never had tires that did not last the warranty period. But then again, we all have different driving conditions.

When you spend twice the money; do you get twice the product? Are the BFGoodrich tires twice as good? Will you get twice the handling, half the braking distance, twice the traction, and be able to drive it for 80,000 miles? Not impossible.

Hankook ATM tires on my truck ran for 10 years, still had plenty of tread when I replaced them. I did not buy new tires because the tread wore down. After 10 years, I could see the small cracks in the rubber, one tire had a slow leak, and I did not want to risk a blowout. After 10 years, and possibly 100,000 miles (since I forgot to write down the mileage at purchase), I think I got my money's worth. But truck tires are different. They have huge lugs, with deep grooves, which could take forever to wear down.
I find it strange that the Continentals would only get 30,000 miles. Consumer Reports lists Continentals right up there with Michelins.
 
  #14  
Old 11-12-2018, 04:18 AM
cjben
cjben is offline
Post Fiend
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Midwest
Posts: 6,321
cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.cjben has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by EvanBly View Post
I find it strange that the Continentals would only get 30,000 miles. Consumer Reports lists Continentals right up there with Michelins.
Dealer said they wouldn't cover the continentals because gravel damage isn't a "manufacture defect",so warranty doesn't apply and there wasn't road hazard on the tires. My wife loves this vehicle,otherwise I would have kicked it to the curb and gotten an older explorer. Yes,I know they require lots of maintenance but I've been there,done that. I do like the idea of the bfg's but hard to talk the wife into that kind of money for tires. Still looking for someone that makes a all season that can handle gravel abuse.
 
  #15  
Old 11-15-2018, 12:29 AM
Fifty150's Avatar
Fifty150
Fifty150 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 415
Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by cjben View Post
otherwise I would have kicked it to the curb and gotten an older explorer.
For me, 2016 Transit Connect replaced a 1997 Explorer. I loved that car. Mine finally succumbed to leaking. The leaking roof was more than I could bear. And the cost of refurbishing the roof + sunroof was just not feasible. No way was i going to spend $$$XXX on bodywork, for a 20 year old car, with an unknown number of miles since the odometer stopped working around the 350,000 mile mark.

Beautiful 5.0 engine with a custom tune. SCT tuner mounted on the dash for monitoring all operating & performance parameters. Factory tow package. Belts, hoses, water pump, low temp thermostat, thermostat housing, coolant, and radiator were all new. Brand new Toyo M+S tires. OEM 5 CD changer. Hidden strobe lights for "emergency use". Air conditioning was just recharged at a shop with a machine, not the can from Wal*Mart. Custom exhaust headers, high flow catalytic converters, & Cherry Bomb glasspack muffler. Transmission, transfer case, and front & rear differentials were original, fluid exchanged every 3 years even if the car wasn't being driven, and never had an issue. Custom electric fan. K&N intake. Torsion bar lift in the front. Add-a-leaf lifted in the rear. Brand new shocks. Off road lighting. Original leather seats that looked like a 20 year old chew toy. Water came pouring into the cabin even in a car wash. 11 replaced interior door handles that kept breaking off as you pulled them to open the door. 4 multifunction switches which failed every few years.......once I had to drive from Seattle to San Diego with my left hand pulling back the high beam switch the entire trip, or there would have been no lighting. Passenger side wiper arm was almost rusted off. Interior carpet kit & headliner stunk from moisture, mold, and mildew. It even had all of the dents, dings, and faded paint which did not match the hood & front fender which were brand new with brand new paint. The entire windshield had whirls of scratches.

If I had known, I would have saved it for you.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: