Tinman builds a crewcab '54 F500 car hauler! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tinman builds a crewcab '54 F500 car hauler!

Old 10-14-2018, 11:06 PM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
Tinman builds a crewcab '54 F500 car hauler!

Well, I'm at it again........this will be a pretty ambitious project. Not mine, for a customer........he has several hotrods and wants something cool to haul them on, with room for the family.
For those that are new here, I've done this sort of thing before....my custom COE thread from a while back;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...uck-build.html
Starting off with a really cherry '54 F500......plus a second nice '55 F600 cab. Chassis is yet to be determined, but he wants a diesel. Either power stroke or Cummins.
Stay tuned.......

Old 10-14-2018, 11:44 PM
52 Merc
Post Fiend
52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Very cool, Scott! I'll be looking forward to following along at home!

Old 10-15-2018, 08:29 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
Here we go again. Buckle up and hang on!!

This one should be fun to watch.

Bobby

Old 10-15-2018, 11:12 AM
tinman52
Welder User
tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
Thanks guys!
As always, I don't work off of a set of plans, just a picture in my head of how I want it. Looking around the net, I find quite a few '56 crew cabs but almost no slant cab crews.....if anyone has pics, please post them!
The '56 cab has a squarer cab above the belt line, making it easier to extend. I see the biggest challenge for me will be at the front of the rear door. Also the sloping roof line(s).
Found this pic....

Old 10-15-2018, 11:44 AM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
I'm looking forward to watching this build.
Would a 56 cab be better for the back section? I wonder if that is what they did for the picture you found.
Now of the most important question, will the customer go with the 54 or 55 grill.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:54 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I'm looking forward to watching this build.
Would a 56 cab be better for the back section? I wonder if that is what they did for the picture you found.
I think this crew cab was professionally done by an aftermarket coach builder in 1954.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 PM
vintage56
Elder User
vintage56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
SUBSCRIBED
*daily updates*

JML

Old 10-17-2018, 03:18 PM
Silver54
Elder User
Silver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud of
Excited to see this one progress, good on you for taking on the project Tinman!

Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 PM
jmadsen
Postmaster
jmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to alljmadsen is a name known to all
Awesome! Will be watching you transform that truck!

Old 10-18-2018, 07:15 PM
tinman52
Welder User
So I pulled the seat and heater out, as they were both mouse hotels........and did some cleanup. Really a shame to cut up such a nice cab. On the other hand, it's really nice to work with non rusty metal.
Removed the back window and laid out some cut lines.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:51 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Good luck! I bet some guys could use the nice clean rust free cab back, especially the bottom part.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:52 AM
pweng1
Posting Guru
pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.
You know I have been waiting for another big build from you. I will be watching for the posts. This is good motivation for the guys that enjoy your builds.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:22 PM
tinman52
Welder User
Take a deep breath and cut on the dotted line...................

Old 10-19-2018, 09:27 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
I got to hand it to you Scott, you've got some big *****!

looks good
Bobby

Old 10-19-2018, 10:07 PM
tinman52
Welder User
Originally Posted by bobbytnm View Post
I got to hand it to you Scott, you've got some big *****!

looks good
Bobby
And a good looking rear end..........right Bobby?

Sorry, private joke. On the HAMB Bobby was complimenting the rear axle for my other project....

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.