1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Tinman builds a crewcab '54 F500 car hauler!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 12:10 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
Side shot. There are a lot of conflicting angles going on here, and the rear door window looks huge. I see now why many of these have shortened doors or a massive B pillar.
Scott
Thanks for the visual updates, love the pics and text to describe the thought process.

I was wondering how you were going to marry the front and back together; my first thoughts were about the geometry and maybe "simpler" supercab route. Very impressive fab skils . Looking forward to the next instalment.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:46 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by vintage56
Seen this?
https://lowdownhotrods.smugmug.com/W...s/COE-Project/
your comment about drip rails necessitating a top chop reminded me of this build. They didn’t do the favor of all spelling out all their solutions like you are, but they are getting it done.
Thanks for that! Yeah it would be cool if there was some text with all those pics.
That turned out very nice

Old 11-30-2018, 12:50 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I kinda felt like I owed it to ya.
nobody here is more appreciative of your sharing than me!
JML

Old 11-30-2018, 07:31 PM
Marten
Laughing Gas
Received 250 Likes on 158 Posts
Scott, for us want to be body guys can you walk through the metal shaping and more importantly for me the welding steps.
Thanks

Old 11-30-2018, 08:19 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Originally Posted by Marten
Scott, for us want to be body guys can you walk through the metal shaping and more importantly for me the welding steps.
Thanks
What specifically do you want to know? I'm not really metal shaping here, in the true sense of the word. I'm just cutting stuff apart and re arranging it.
Metal shaping to me is creating new panels from flat sheet.
Also there is a welding "tutorial" here on this forum if you search. If you have simple questions, ask away. I'll do my best to answer

Old 12-01-2018, 07:21 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Here is the welding tutorial. I have it bookmarked for when I start learning to weld.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-practice.html

Old 12-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrier
Here is the welding tutorial. I have it bookmarked for when I start learning to weld.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-practice.html
Whatever happened to AXracer? Or maybe I shouldn't bring it up. He was active while I still had Betsy. But I haven't seen anything from him for a couple of years. I see he was last on here in January.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:35 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Whatever happened to AXracer? Or maybe I shouldn't bring it up. He was active while I still had Betsy. But I haven't seen anything from him for a couple of years. I see he was last on here in January.
His computer got infected with ransom ware and asked if we could donate to get his computer documents unlocked since he contributes lengthy and worthy how-to threads. Response was poor, and he got miffed and left. But his threads are still here.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:01 PM
Marten
Laughing Gas
Received 250 Likes on 158 Posts
What specifically do you want to know? I'm not really metal shaping here, in the true sense of the word. I'm just cutting stuff apart and re arranging it.
Metal shaping to me is creating new panels from flat sheet.
Also there is a welding "tutorial" here on this forum if you search. If you have simple questions, ask away. I'll do my best to answer
I will look at the welding tutorial. I am a newbie in this game and trying to learn as I go. One of the problems I have is not even knowing what questions to ask. I will watch with much interest as you seem to have way more time then me to build so it will go much faster as well. If I see something I will ask for sure. Thanks
One thing for sure would be what tools you are using. Not so much the brand but the type.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:03 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Originally Posted by Marten
I will look at the welding tutorial. I am a newbie in this game and trying to learn as I go. One of the problems I have is not even knowing what questions to ask. I will watch with much interest as you seem to have way more time then me to build so it will go much faster as well. If I see something I will ask for sure. Thanks
One thing for sure would be what tools you are using. Not so much the brand but the type.
That is how I learned....by watching, listening, reading then just diving in and trying. As for having more time....I do this for a living, this is a customer's truck so I need to keep moving on it.
For my rough cuts I'm using a thin abrasive wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Finer cuts with an air cut off tool and snips. All sheetmetal welding with a Miller 140 mig.
No real special tools, but I suppose many years of experience helps also

Old 12-02-2018, 04:49 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
That is how I learned....by watching, listening, reading then just diving in and trying. As for having more time....I do this for a living, this is a customer's truck so I need to keep moving on it.
For my rough cuts I'm using a thin abrasive wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Finer cuts with an air cut off tool and snips. All sheetmetal welding with a Miller 140 mig.
No real special tools, but I suppose many years of experience helps also
That's the way I tackle things also. A "can do" attitude and the willingness to learn and make mistakes will take you a long way in this hobby. Plus, I'm broke and can't afford to pay someone to do the things I need done....LOL.
What I have found, with stuff like Scott is doing, is to be patient and don't man-handle the metal. This usually means you have to make a relief cut and either add or remove metal to get what you need. Threads like this really help, Scott does an amazing job of documenting what he is doing with pics and explanations.

Bobby

Old 12-13-2018, 09:34 PM
26tudor
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Any updates this build is amazing

Old 12-28-2018, 07:38 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it’s nice to see somethings never change. It’s been a while since I’ve been on here but it’s good to see you’re still at it Scott. I’m looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. Haven’t been down your way for a while but it looks like I may have to stop in and catch up.
Remi

Last edited by Holehawgg; 12-28-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Can’t spell
Old 12-28-2018, 11:53 PM
Steve Harlow
More Turbo
Received 239 Likes on 112 Posts
Side shot. There are a lot of conflicting angles going on here, and the rear door window looks huge. I see now why many of these have shortened doors or a massive B pillar.

The problem is you've got conflicting leading lines.

Sorry about my ****ty mouse freehand, i couldn't be bothered to break out the tablet.

There's a couple nice lines that are possible solutions here, and i'm biased towards the ones that are based on not modifying the original orange cab.

This would be where i'd go with it ideally. Get that nice arc in the roof and sides without messing with the front of the cab, but dealing with modifying those existing doors would suck.

I'd say this would be the minimum possible modification solution. Remove the arc from the top of the windows, keep it dead paralell to the ridge on the doors, smaller radiuses on the b pillar windows, and a larger one on the very rear to minimize the pillar and focus on the outer form more to diffuse the length of it. Also i shrank the rear door by about a third to keep it proportional and to keep the bed from looking really daft. Maybe a slight radiused arc down starting at the midpoint of the rear door, just to break up the form a little without detracting from the strong straight lines too much.

The good news is that from the window down all the leading lines are dead straight without any arcs. Y'all will really want to mind the taper of the cab from the top too, since the bonus builts have a really serious taper to them. If that's not a nice flowing line it'll look like it has elephantitus but nobody will know why.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:23 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Are you putting a vent window in the rear to try and break it up a bit? I don't think a one piece window would look too big plus it's surely a lot of extra work? If you take the radius away from the front window then you might need to do the same to the corner behind it. The roof is a serious amount of work. I'm keen to see pictures of that when it's done.

Quick Reply: Tinman builds a crewcab '54 F500 car hauler!