New to me 6.0!! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New to me 6.0!!

Old 10-13-2018, 12:39 AM
Fordrocks689
Senior User
Fordrocks689 is starting off with a positive reputation.
New to me 6.0!!

Hey guys my names danny I'm coming from the f150 forums, I just got a f250 6.0l and I have a TON of questions!

Right now my main issue is it's just not running right. It's got a violent shake and no power. I was able to drive it home struggling to keep 20mph. Blowing Black and white smoke.

Dtcs showed cylinder #4 injector low circuit, a code for the boost Solinoid I think p0046? And cylinder #8 and #2 glow plugs.

I've done injector test with Autel scanner, I can hear 4 loud injectors click, and the other 4 I have to shove my head in the engine to hear them and they are still very very faint.

The ficm at "key on engine off" is 48.5
After starting at idle the volts move from 48-49 during throttle.

I cleared all codes and started the truck again. It started rough but after about a min of idling it revd up by itself and then actually sounded like it was running ALOT better and better throttle reaponse. But still had a rough shake.

Can anyone out there recommend any steps for me to take? Thank you!

Old 10-13-2018, 03:59 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Welcome to the 6.0L world.

What is your FICM Logic Power (LPower) value?

Sounds like you need to inspect the #4 injector harness, but probably need to replace the injector. As far as the 4 "weak" injectors, please post which ones have the faint sound during the buzz testing. Change those bad glow plugs.

Code P0046 is set when a short to ground, open, or short to power is identified in the VGTCV (turbo control valve) or wiring between the PCM and VGTCV. This circuit is a continuously monitored circuit that takes less than 1 second to set. First thing to do is to verify that the VGT actuator is fully plugged in and that the connector and wiring are not damaged.

After checking that, just to be thorough, look for any signs of a boost leak or a "charge-air-cooler" (CAC) leak. Repair anything you find that needs it.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:09 AM
mattdoc88
Elder User
mattdoc88 has a good reputation on FTE.mattdoc88 has a good reputation on FTE.
If you post a bunch of pictures, we can look to see if there's any odd things installed... There are, for example, bad oil filters and filter caps commonly used. Post about 5 pics of the engine bay from different angles plus any other pics of the truck you want.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:56 AM
Fordrocks689
Senior User
Name:  photo271.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  1.14 MB. This image was with the truck running.

The weak injectors arnt from the initial key on buzzing test. It's with the injector test from my scanner. It doesn't specify which injectors it is testing, I just have to listen for each click. How would I know which ones they are?

Old 10-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Fordrocks689
Senior User
Originally Posted by mattdoc88
If you post a bunch of pictures, we can look to see if there's any odd things installed... There are, for example, bad oil filters and filter caps commonly used. Post about 5 pics of the engine bay from different angles plus any other pics of the truck you want.
I'll get some pics today! Thanks!

Old 10-13-2018, 11:51 AM
xcrsp440
Senior User
xcrsp440 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Can you scan for cylinder misfires?

Old 10-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Fordrocks689
Senior User
Originally Posted by xcrsp440
Can you scan for cylinder misfires?
It shows the option on the scanner but misfires showed 0 the whole time

Old 10-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Fordrocks689
Senior User
Name:  photo524.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  954.6 KB any ford techs know what this tag means?

Old 10-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Fordrocks689
Senior User
Name:  photo196.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  1.05 MBName:  photo531.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  1,018.8 KBName:  photo906.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  1.02 MBName:  photo661.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  1.09 MBName:  photo430.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  1,016.0 KB here are some engine shots

Old 10-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Fordrocks689
Senior User
Name:  photo419.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  1.09 MB here's a shot of cylinders while running and some reving of the engine.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Visurveyor
New User
Visurveyor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just looking at the engine pics.you have a aftermarket oil cap not really good. somebody has done work on the vgt solenoid wiring. I'd look at that and probably clean the battery terminals.You got some green corrosion around you terminal on the batteries probably want to clean that up. low voltage is not good for ficm or starter.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:16 PM
Fordrocks689
Senior User
Originally Posted by Visurveyor
Just looking at the engine pics.you have a aftermarket oil cap not really good. somebody has done work on the vgt solenoid wiring. I'd look at that and probably clean the battery terminals.You got some green corrosion around you terminal on the batteries probably want to clean that up. low voltage is not good for ficm or starter.
Why is the oil cap bad? I am Currently removing the batteries and cleaning wires and terminals. Next I am going to remove the ficm to see which style I have and if it can be rebuilt if needed.

Side note, after clearing my check engine codes the truck still has a very bad shake but it's actually drivable!! I can hear the turbo as well although it doesn't register on the boost gauge. I couldn't hear it before. It ran a lot better after I cleared all codes and restarted.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:46 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Fordrocks689 View Post
Attachment 262213. This image was with the truck running.

The weak injectors arnt from the initial key on buzzing test. It's with the injector test from my scanner. It doesn't specify which injectors it is testing, I just have to listen for each click. How would I know which ones they are?
They buzz in numerical (sequential) order.

After market oil filters often use their own cap. It was done to get around patents. The aftermarket has generally been inferior to the OEM filters, and if you go back in with another brand filter (especially w/ an OEM filter) without changing the cap, you will get bypassing of the filter and possibly even a no-start since the drain valve won't be pushed down (closed) all the way. Best to stick w/ OEM filters and they require an OEM filter cap.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:29 PM
xcrsp440
Senior User
xcrsp440 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks like #4 and 7 injectors are suspect. The tough part is that the FICM compensates for weak injectors and can hide injector problems. Go to Ford to get Ford injectors. Some of the aftermarket rebuilds don’t hold up well.
why do you want to remove the FICM?

It is amazing how much better one fresh injector can make the motor run.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:39 PM
Fordrocks689
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic
They buzz in numerical (sequential) order.

After market oil filters often use their own cap. It was done to get around patents. The aftermarket has generally been inferior to the OEM filters, and if you go back in with another brand filter (especially w/ an OEM filter) without changing the cap, you will get bypassing of the filter and possibly even a no-start since the drain valve won't be pushed down (closed) all the way. Best to stick w/ OEM filters and they require an OEM filter cap.
Oh wow ok thanks for that info!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.