1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Steering box tore through frame!! Help am I f**ked??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 09:19 PM
Joemaxfpv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering box tore through frame!! Help am I f**ked??

This is the inside. Obviously the back bolt sheared off clean which isn’t my main issue. I’m concerned with whether this can be boxed or reinforced to salvage the frame?? Please help.

Here is the wheel well where the frame became thin and pulled the shaft/ bolt tube right through the frame!! This is my power stroke which runs excellent and is my primary tow/plow company rig. Has anyone seen this happen and can it be saved??

Old 10-12-2018, 09:27 PM
Joemaxfpv
New User
What I believe happened

it looks like the frame issue happened first since I can see clear rust on the rear edges. So it was riding on the second back bolt and we heard a few pops while working until finally the bolt sheared off leaving the bulk of the bolt in the steering box. Which can be tapped out and bolted back. But the frame section on inside and outside are my main concern. Can they be boxed or reinforced in order to save the truck?? I’m so close to winter and terrified of them suggesting a new frame section be welded on. Since I’ve seen that done and know the cost involved. I’m hoping this can be saved for less than 4K. And thought from anyone would be highly appreciated. Right now I am close to a nervous breakdown as it is my primary vehicle to support my family and home. I am self employed as a landscaper and need this truck to survive. It has a new transmission and a bd thruster turbo and works excellent. But this break terrifies me.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:19 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
I’ve torn a box off a Jeep in the middle of nowhere and fix by welding a plate on using 2 batteries and a pair of jumper cables.... point being any compentent welder can plate that frame and fix you up problem.

just need to find a welding or fabrication shop to do the work.... often independent hitch or muffler shops will also do this sort of work.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:42 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
That’s some serious rust! I’m not sure I’d want to put 4K into the truck with the frame rusted that bad. I think you need to have a very serious conversation with yourself. At the very least I would inspect everything and try using a rust converter to kill the rust. I agree with Pirate that can be fixed.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:53 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts
Personally, before throwing a considerable sum of money at what is likely to be a heavily corroded chassis, you need to inspect the rest of the chassis. If it's as bad in other places maybe find another truck with no corrosion problems that might need an engine? Could be a better way in the long run.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:38 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
To get going, you should be able to find someone to reinforce the area and re-attach the steering box as others have stated. Long-term, another frame section, altogether another frame or truck would be something to consider if the body is just as rusted.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:01 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Joemaxfpv
…can this be saved...
Short term.
Go to a trailer parts dealer (axle parts) and pick up a couple of axle mounting plates (1/4" thick) and a couple of new bolts. You may have to get the bolts from (Lowes or Homedepot). Use the plate(s) as strong and oversized washers, and tighten the steering box into place using the new bolts and see how it drives.
Maybe $30 or less.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:05 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not seeing much bright metal around that break, it looks like it was pretty rusted to begin with. I'll echo the rest of the comments here: yes, a dude with some metal and a welder can patch that up and make it usable. But if the rest of the frame is in similar shape, the next break is just a pothole, sharp turn, or panic stop away. Hopefully nowhere near my precious Excursion, mmmkay?

I'd encourage a really harsh inspection of the rest of the frame before you dump a lot of money into that truck - anything that can't be swapped into another truck. If there are more problems on the horizon with that one, I would rather find a clean southern desert truck donor to swap my goodies into.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:22 PM
KH85
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy rust Batman!!!

Seriously though I'm with everyone else. That rust is cause for some serious concern. Yes anyone that even considers calling themself a welder can "fix" that, and anyone trying to charge you anywhere near 4k for a "frame patch" is a joke IMO. That frame and anything conected to it need to be thouroghly inspected before you consider a long term frame patch job.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:20 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
If you're going to weld, you need something to weld to.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:21 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Just my $.02 worth. There doesn't seem to be much of anything left to weld to in the first place. As others have said from looking at that I doubt that the rest of the truck is any better. The main thing to consider that if this is you daily driver I would feel really uneasy driving my family around in it.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:05 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
I'm more optimistic about a repair. The chunk that broke out of the frame has a few bright spots on the break surface but mostly dark and possibly rusty. The material of the hole in the frame where it came from is still thick, not thinned by rust. Channeling my inner Cadfael I'd say that is undetected crash or impact damage. The area cracked but did not completely separate, then rust got in there and nibbled away for a few years until another stress popped it out.

Whack around on the frame looking for weak spots. Assuming it sounds solid I'd definitely find a welder to eyeball it.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:11 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dn29626
Go to a trailer parts dealer (axle parts) and pick up a couple of axle mounting plates (1/4" thick) and a couple of new bolts. You may have to get the bolts from (Lowes or Homedepot). Use the plate(s) as strong and oversized washers, and tighten the steering box into place using the new bolts and see how it drives.
Maybe $30 or less.
If you try my suggestion and it works, have a welder weld the mounting plate(s) to the frame.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:24 AM
Joemaxfpv
New User
Thank you

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
I'm more optimistic about a repair. The chunk that broke out of the frame has a few bright spots on the break surface but mostly dark and possibly rusty. The material of the hole in the frame where it came from is still thick, not thinned by rust. Channeling my inner Cadfael I'd say that is undetected crash or impact damage. The area cracked but did not completely separate, then rust got in there and nibbled away for a few years until another stress popped it out.

Whack around on the frame looking for weak spots. Assuming it sounds solid I'd definitely find a welder to eyeball it.
Originally Posted by dn29626
If you try my suggestion and it works, have a welder weld the mounting plate(s) to the frame.

Thank to everyone who replied. I honestly believe it is from a previous accident I got the truck 5-6 years back from a shady salesman who had a hack body shop hide a lot of stuff. Even with a magnet I couldn’t find all the bondo jobs he had done. Rust is a given where I live. Our streets are hammered with road salt. And it is a plow truck and has been for most of its life. However with the recent 5500.00 for a new oem installed tranny and recent repairs a new truck or major frame swap is a no go. Also I have snow removal contracts depending on that diesel to push snow in a few weeks worst case scenario. So I’ll gladly attempt patch ideas/bracing. Until spring cometh. And so everyone can relax it is not my daily driver. It’s the primary mowing and residential plowing truck. That’s it. But not a good time for this to happen.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:53 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Let's hope the repairs go well and she gets back on the road before it snows.

Work season around the corner makes me think preventive maintenance. All good aside from a giant hole in the frame?