1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

This is the planning & info thread for the September 2019 PA Truckstock

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:13 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
It might be fun to take a long Test Drive....
That is what I'm doing. The map says it will be 550 miles each way for me. I'll be doing this in an F3 truck that hasn't been finished yet and has not been on the road since 1968.

Half the truck is still at the body shop where it's been for the last two years and I have less than six months to go before the event. I nudged the body shop manager on the phone yesterday to put some green paint in a spray gun and just wave it around near my parts. Rattle the tailgate chains. Anything. Show some signs of life.

I sure hope you can make it to the state park.
Really looking forward to meeting all you guys in person. Even if I'm driving just the chassis with no bed or front clip. And flashlights duct taped to the front frame horns for lights. I'm gonna make it there.
Tom

Old 03-21-2019, 10:37 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same place as you are - I've got Engine parts, Tires, and Seat part in my Living room and under the table in my kitchen (No Wife around ) - Then there are the parts in the garage, on order and at the builders - It all choreographed to flow together like a Walt Disney production, Hopefully Donald Duck won't be involved
At issue, due to my spending my retirement years when I was just a PUP, I am paying with my health - Since November of last year I went thru a lung cancer scare, kidney stones and I spent this past Sunday Afternoon and all day Monday in a local hospitals ER and Heart ward due to some very intense pain. So far nothing from any of the two thousand tests I went thru - I have a Stress Test next Monday just for Sh**s and Giggles
So if I am able I will travel in stages visiting as I go
I really do want to meet all my Brothers and Sisters from the web That I have met over the years - I've only met Bob Jones and Bill Wolford in person as far as I know - I would like to add a few more
Just had a Brain Fart - I think I'm going to paint a white square on the truck so Everyone can sign it

Old 03-22-2019, 03:49 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I just checked online map, it says it's about 700 miles one way. AWESOME!! 700 miles averaging 40 mph, that'll only be just over 17 hours one way. Like the first meet in '12 I'm going to have to leave on Wednesday to make it there by Friday night. That's if we don't end up on some death ride mountain again. I'm looking forward to it. For all the wives who don't want to do the drive in an old truck let them know my wife is looking forward to it. The F-2 is slow, noisy, smelly and bumpy but my wife still would rather ride in it all that way through back roads America than ride in the daily driver with all of it's modern conveniences.

Dick I hop you can make it. Everyone FTE member should have a chance to meet the real Dick in person. Too bad the panel won't be ready for the trip, that would make for a good maiden voyage.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:30 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
Hey Bob. It's good to hear your wife is looking forward to making the trip! It's bound to be an adventure. Just a casual look at the map shows we could maybe take the Milwaukee ferry to Muskegon. From there, we could go across Michigan to Ontario and the Buffalo, NY area. We could then reach Lock Haven, PA coming south from New York. Taking this route would eliminate Chicago and Cleveland. There are lots of exciting possibilities, but as mentioned, I'd be willing to take whichever route works best for you. Deerbrook to Lock Haven looks to be about 871 miles taking the most direct route. Going through Canada, it might be closer to a 1000.

...And Dick, it's good hearing from you! I sure hope your health allows you to get in on this adventure. We'd all love to meet you and see what you've done to the panel truck that you have been thinking about and working on for so many years.

Jim

Old 03-22-2019, 08:25 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Bob - Will try - Maybe the first long test trip for a Wild Child - Something built with safety in mind - Well almost

Old 03-22-2019, 08:26 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Don't forget the Passport requirements for getting back into the States

Old 03-22-2019, 09:13 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
I have a passport, but going through Canada isn't something I necessarily need to do. Route 6 in Pennsylvania starts very close to Erie. Shoot Dick, we could pick you up as we pass through! Route 6 looks to be very scenic and rural--Perfect for the last leg of an epic journey.

A possible plan for us could be: Route 6, to hwy 321, to hwy 219, to hwy 255, to hwy 120, to Lock Haven--looks to be about 250 miles and maybe about 8 hours travel time going slow.

Jim

Old 03-22-2019, 09:50 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
I have a passport, but going through Canada isn't something I necessarily need to do. The start of Route 6 in Pennsylvania starts very close to Erie. Shoot Dick, we could pick you up as we pass through! Route 6 looks to be very scenic and rural.

Jim
Jim, I was just about to mention Route 6 and you beat me to it. Route 6 goes from the Ohio border to the NJ border through the Northern Tier of PA. It is very scenic, 2 lane in some spots, 4 lane in some and 3 lane in some spots with a passing lane going up hills.

I bought my 55 F350 in the little town of Northeast, PA in Erie county. I made my way to Corry on route 6 then headed East to route 59 and then to route 46 South. But before I got on route 46 we made a rest stop at the Kinzua Bridge State Park near Mount Jewett. When the trestle bridge was built it was the highest RR bridge in the World. It blew down in a tornado in 2003. You can now walk out the bridge and look up and down the gorge of Kinzua Creek. Here is a Wikipedia link about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinzua_Bridge

Route 46 then takes you to route 120 South through Renovo and then to Lock Haven. Lock Haven is 13 miles from the Bald Eagle State Park. It was a beautiful drive in my new truck.

Here are some pics I took on my way home of route 6 and the Kinzua Bridge state park.:

Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
You can pick up RT 5 or 20 East of Cleveland - Shortly after you cross the OH - PA line on RT20 you will come to the Intersection with RT 6N (North) - You will run into RT 6 around Union City - You will be driving thru some of the prettiest country East of the Rockies - You won't go thru anything bigger than a wide spot in the road as far as towns go - Once you get past Warren you should see lots of deer and possibly some Elk - There are enough Elk in North Central PA that they have a permit season now - There are a couple of web sites with cameras set up that you can watch Elk grazing and even catch some Bulls facing off - There is one site that has a night Vision camera - I've also seen White Tail Deer, Bear, Coyote, and Fox - Sometimes I'm up half the night watching them - The camera sites have microphones so you can hear them bugle or screech
In the pictures above you will notice Abe looking down thru a glass deck at the end of the bridge - Kinzua had one before the Grand Canyon - The water is the Kinzua Dam - My Grandfather used to take me fishing where what is now the spillway back when I was a pup - We also used to hunt deer in that area - There was one place that the hills were so steep that if you shot a deer in the right place it would slide down to the bottom of the hill - If it didn'y Young Dick would have to bust mu butt climbing up and get it off what ever it got hung up on - I tried riding one down ONCE 0 Wat too many trees and rocks

Old 03-22-2019, 10:28 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Dick, we'd be honored to have you show us the way through your beautiful state! Bob and I could fold up our maps and enjoy the ride. You'll probably have the fastest truck too.

Jim

Old 03-22-2019, 10:37 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
I would enjoy that except I have to go a few days early to ensure that I make it - If my Fibro or any of the other things act up I will be dropping in on some relatives to recoup
As for faster? - Maybe stop light to stop light in one of the two or three burgs that have more than one light

Old 03-22-2019, 10:48 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
I understand. You take care of yourself, and get your truck back on the road if you can. I'm looking forward to meeting you and some of the other guys I only know through reading their posts.

Jim

Old 03-23-2019, 08:01 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Abe, thanks for sharing one of the many spectacular sights to be seen in your beautiful state. I checked out your route, and it looks a little more direct than the one I posted. I have time for such contemplation as I am recovering from a spinal disc compression fracture recently acquired entertaining grandchildren on an icy hill. Hopefully Bob's business will allow him to get away come next September, and I'll be able to defer all navigational decisions to him and his very capable wife. In-put from natives such as Dick and yourself, of course, will be appreciated. How successful we are in following directions remains to be seen.

Jim

Old 03-23-2019, 11:12 AM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 554 Likes on 266 Posts

Here’s a picture of the bridge before it came down. We rode a steam excursion across in the ‘90’s. Dennis

Old 03-23-2019, 11:27 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim. I hauled a horse trailer across Canada from Montreal to Detroit back in the late 80’s. Now that was a long time ago but there were times on that trip I did not see another car and more than once I pulled into the first gas station I saw on fumes. I admit hauling a tag along 2 horse with a dressing room meant I was getting about 8-10 miles to a gallon. But that was desolate country. It may be better today but I’ll bet there are not many places that have ever seen a late 49’s Ford, could know how to fix one or would have parts for one. I would really check it out ahead of time.
Dave S

Quick Reply: This is the planning & info thread for the September 2019 PA Truckstock