Has anyone had trouble with cooling fan on high? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had trouble with cooling fan on high?

Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150

Has anyone had trouble with cooling fan on high?

  #1  
Old 10-11-2018, 04:12 PM
wingtoolz's Avatar
wingtoolz
wingtoolz is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4
wingtoolz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has anyone had trouble with cooling fan on high?

I've been driving my 11 F150 XLT SC 4x4 with a 5.0 for a couple of weeks. The truck had one owner before me, who purchased and used the top level Ford service plan. It is in immaculate condition. Just this week, I noticed the cooling fan running quite loudly. I was alone in the truck, without cargo or a towed load. The outside temperature was in the low 40's F. I skimmed FTE to gain some insight. Last night we had our first bit of snow but no accumulation. External temp, 34F. I left work to return home and turned on the heat (def & floor setting). The heater never really sent heat. After about 10 miles of 50 to 60 mph travel, there was a bit of warmth, but that disappeared when I turned the fan from 2 to 4. At the same time the cooling fan kicked on...

I did purchase an extended warranty from a 3rd party offered by the dealership.

What should I look at to begin troubleshooting?

I work overnights. Getting to the dealership (or anywhere typical people go to conduct business is pretty much a weekend thing, so I'd like to cover my bases before I go to them.

many thx,

tom
 
  #2  
Old 10-11-2018, 04:48 PM
seville009
seville009 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,351
seville009 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.seville009 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Maybe you had it set on auto with a temp cooler than what the actual temp was, so it started to cool the truck down. Make sure you’re using the manual controls (unless you want auto).

 
  #3  
Old 10-11-2018, 05:59 PM
ford390gashog's Avatar
ford390gashog
ford390gashog is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brentwood,CA
Posts: 15,850
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
By any chance the truck tuned? There was an issue back years ago with SCT causing the cooling fans to come on max speed vs low. It was corrected in 2014. Lots of us including myself had the issue. Not saying it's the same but with a used truck anything is possible.
 
  #4  
Old 10-11-2018, 06:47 PM
wingtoolz's Avatar
wingtoolz
wingtoolz is offline
New User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4
wingtoolz is starting off with a positive reputation.
I believe its 100% stock

I don't think there are any aftermarket modifications. I will go chat with their service department and hopefully get a copy of the service records.
 
  #5  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:01 PM
rlester
rlester is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 126
rlester is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like you are low on antifreeze. Check the rad level when engine is cold and it should be at the top. Obviously check the reservoir as well but I would top off the rad first.
 
  #6  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:14 PM
ford390gashog's Avatar
ford390gashog
ford390gashog is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brentwood,CA
Posts: 15,850
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rlester View Post
Sounds like you are low on antifreeze. Check the rad level when engine is cold and it should be at the top. Obviously check the reservoir as well but I would top off the rad first.

There is no coolant sensor on these trucks, if it did overheat and reverted to fail safe mode it would display on the dash. FYI you can only fill these trucks from the expansion tank, there is no radiator access and has not been since 1997.
 
  #7  
Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 PM
ssls6's Avatar
ssls6
ssls6 is online now
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 269
ssls6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
There is no coolant sensor on these trucks, if it did overheat and reverted to fail safe mode it would display on the dash. FYI you can only fill these trucks from the expansion tank, there is no radiator access and has not been since 1997.
My 2012 6.2L has a radiator cap. So not all trucks of this generation.
 
  #8  
Old 10-12-2018, 01:05 AM
ford390gashog's Avatar
ford390gashog
ford390gashog is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brentwood,CA
Posts: 15,850
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ssls6 View Post
My 2012 6.2L has a radiator cap. So not all trucks of this generation.

You are correct! Never will understand why they did that either.
 
  #9  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Blue_Oval1
Blue_Oval1 is offline
Junior User
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 50
Blue_Oval1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by wingtoolz View Post
I've been driving my 11 F150 XLT SC 4x4 with a 5.0 for a couple of weeks. The truck had one owner before me, who purchased and used the top level Ford service plan. It is in immaculate condition. Just this week, I noticed the cooling fan running quite loudly. I was alone in the truck, without cargo or a towed load. The outside temperature was in the low 40's F. I skimmed FTE to gain some insight. Last night we had our first bit of snow but no accumulation. External temp, 34F. I left work to return home and turned on the heat (def & floor setting). The heater never really sent heat. After about 10 miles of 50 to 60 mph travel, there was a bit of warmth, but that disappeared when I turned the fan from 2 to 4. At the same time the cooling fan kicked on...

I did purchase an extended warranty from a 3rd party offered by the dealership.

What should I look at to begin troubleshooting?

I work overnights. Getting to the dealership (or anywhere typical people go to conduct business is pretty much a weekend thing, so I'd like to cover my bases before I go to them.

many thx,

tom
I suspect your thermostat may not be opening properly. I have an '11 F-150 as well and lived at the same latitude you do from '11-'14. Even in January when it was -40 for a low, my truck would blow hot air after 10-15 minutes and then dump out enough heat to have my always-much-colder-than-me wife tell me to turn it down after about another 5 minutes. Currently I live 600 miles farther south and typical January temps are similar to what you are seeing now, and my truck warms up to blow hot air after about 5 minutes on the coldest day of the year. The heater core that leads to hot air in the cab runs off the same cooling circuit that includes the radiator. The thermostat is supposed to be closed at low temps to let the engine heat up more quickly for better performance/emissions and then open and let the coolant in the engine circulate into the radiator and heater core. A screaming cooling fan when it is cool out but no hot air in the cab is very suspicious for a malfunctioning thermostat.

I'll tell you from experience that if your A/C is off and you have a properly functioning cooling system, you will only hear the cooling fan at full roar if you are pulling an at or above GCWR trailer at low speeds in warmer weather and get your transmission fluid temp over 210 F. Some toothless meth-head goofball put 5+ yards of dirt in my dump trailer when I ordered two and I only heard the fan when I was slowly maneuvering in my backyard to dump the dirt in just the right spot as it was too tight to get a skid loader in there, so all of the dirt moving was going to be by hand. The fan never kicked on loud enough to hear it when I was pulling it on the road. Jockeying around in the yard for a while, the trans fluid temp got to 212 and the fan roared, I heard it and sat and put the trans in neutral, the fan ran on high for 30 seconds and then piped back down. The trailer of course did not dump until I scooped a third of it out by hand first. That's the ONLY time I ever heard the fan go at full blast with the A/C off and I've hauled plenty of appropriately-weighted trailers weighing up to about 8000 lbs, and had to jockey them around 90 degree turns and gravel driveways in 4wd, etc. That dump trailer was 13k+ lbs, for the record. Way too heavy for an F-150 but that was the situation I had.
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: