Getting ready to order a new one: 4x4 or 4x2 Thoughts? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Getting ready to order a new one: 4x4 or 4x2 Thoughts?

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 10-11-2018, 01:19 PM
MarkNix
New User
MarkNix is starting off with a positive reputation.

Greetings. I'm a 64 year old guy, and I've had a 4X4, non-stop in my life, since I was 18. My current 2013 Ram 3500 is 4x4. I'm selling it to buy a new Ford. The sad truth is, I have not one single time that I can remember, actually used my 4-wheel drive in my truck. I live in northern Utah, and snow is a way of life for us, but they are so danged good at snow removal now, it's seldom and issue for me. I am retired now, so if the roads are bad, I don't have to go anywhere. Here's the biggie: My other 2 cars are both 4X4, and I pretty much NEVER drive my truck in the winter. I use my truck only when I need a truck. Like pulling my 5th wheel trailer, going to the dump, or hauling big stuff. So, in reality, I could lose 4X4, never notice it in my life, save some money and gain cargo capacity. The last one is nice, because with the max pin weight of my new 5th wheel, my wife and I, my hitch, and about 300 lbs of additional gear in my truck, I am flirting with the limits of a F250. The 4X2 model would give me a comfortable weight buffer to maximum. I really DON'T like the ride of a 1-ton truck when it's not loaded, and I'd like to stay with a F-250 for that reason alone. There is zero chance in my life of ever getting a bigger trailer. I just got rid of a 40ft. Montana 5'er, and I'll NEVER go back to big again. Soooooo....Give me your thoughts on the 4X2. Resale market, ride, just anything that I might not be thinking of in giving up the 4X4. Thanks!

Old 10-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Mitchell H
New User
Mitchell H is starting off with a positive reputation.
Resale for 4x2 is rough. Around me, a rural area, 4x2's are almost always 3/4th to 1/2 the price of a 4x4. This alone has kept me in 4x4s.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:28 PM
MarkNix
New User
Originally Posted by Mitchell H View Post
Resale for 4x2 is rough. Around me, a rural area, 4x2's are almost always 3/4th to 1/2 the price of a 4x4. This alone has kept me in 4x4s.
I have been wondering about that too. I think if I was ever to sell it, I would market it in southern Utah, where I have a second home. That is pretty much a no-snow climate with bazillions (it seems like anyway) of us older retired RV'ers. I'm thinking that would be a much stronger resale market for a 4X2?

Old 10-11-2018, 01:35 PM
dksmith17
Senior User
dksmith17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'd go look at them in person if you haven't yet

The 4x2s look so much shorter. It looks like a different truck to me. I like the tallness of this gen SD, although I understand some might not just for functionality reasons. The tall factor kinda makes this truck.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:40 PM
Flyct
Elder User
Flyct is starting off with a positive reputation.
You really should drive a new build F350 and a F250. I couldn’t find any difference in ride quality between the two when unloaded and the 350 gives you an additional 1,000-1,200 lbs of payload. The older 1 ton trucks were much different.

A typical 4x4 F250 Lariat DIesel CCSB will have a payload of 2,200 lbs. My F350 4x4 has a payload of 3,523 lbs.
Gas trucks will have another 600-800 lbs of payload but they don’t have the torque.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:40 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
In another thread I said I "settled for the 4wd". I really have no need for a 4wd. My previous truck was a 2wd F350 CCLB 6.0 PSD. I use the trucks to tow on the interstate mostly. Never really go offroad and don't drive them in snow.

When shopping for an F250 CCSB 6.7 I found virtually none in inventory. When I checked resale it was obvious that the 4wd would up the value by as much or more than the cost. So I got an FX4 Lariat.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:27 PM
C12H24
Senior User
C12H24 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had to order mine in 2wd. I, like you, had no use whatsoever for 4wd. I also didn't want the potential for death wobble, or to have to carry around 400lbs of drivetrain I would never use. I did order the locker, though.

The truck isn't as tall as a 4wd, but I don't need the height for anything. I drove a 4wd and, handling or comfort-wise, I can't say there is a big difference over the 2wd, but then I wasn't exactly flogging it so I can't say the independent front suspension in the 2wd makes a ride comfort difference. It should, but again, given the short test drive, I can't say that as an absolute. Mine rides over the bumps just a little harsher than my '12 F-150 2wd. Not a jarring or uncomfortable ride by any standard.

I question, considering the cost of the 4wd, that there's a huge negative in resale value for the 2wd. Do some research on KBB and NADA to see how it shakes out. I actually did before I ordered mine and the resale difference was the option cost. Things may have changed over the past year, but I doubt it. So, based upon my research, there is no hit on resale.

Yes, you do get more payload with 2wd,..better fuel economy too due to the weight reduction and the lower ride height.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:25 PM
nrimshaw
New User
nrimshaw is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had 2WD truck for the past 20+ years while towing tent trailer up to a 25ft bumper pull and never had a problem. Last year I got stuck and swore the next one would be 4x4. I have since upgraded to a 34ft bumper pull, 9k lbs and a 2018 CCSB Lariat with 6.7. Personally at my age and income, I don't want to ever worry about power and ability to take my trailer wherever i want. Very happy with my decision, already used 4x4 in a steep campground here in north CA.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:45 PM
scottscott
Elder User
scottscott has a good reputation on FTE.scottscott has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm curious... What is the price difference between a 2 & 4 wheel drive, identical trucks otherwise.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:58 PM
MarkNix
New User
Originally Posted by Flyct View Post
You really should drive a new build F350 and a F250. I couldnt find any difference in ride quality between the two when unloaded and the 350 gives you an additional 1,000-1,200 lbs of payload. The older 1 ton trucks were much different.

A typical 4x4 F250 Lariat DIesel CCSB will have a payload of 2,200 lbs. My F350 4x4 has a payload of 3,523 lbs.
Gas trucks will have another 600-800 lbs of payload but they dont have the torque.
Hold it,I might be confused here and I definitely need to clarify before I continue this decision. You said the F-250( typical )has a cargo capacity of 2200 lbs. In my research, I found this

As I am looking for a crew cab, isn't my max the 3660 for the 10K rating? I'm probably not looking at this correctly.

Last edited by MarkNix; 10-11-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Formating error
Old 10-11-2018, 04:01 PM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lightbulb

To the OP:

Were in the same general age bracket. Im on my fifth truck (the 86 Suburban and the 97 F150 are not listed below), and theyve all been 4x2s with LS or EL diffs. Ive gotten stuck once in 30+ years, and it was my own stupid fault.

Like you, Im retired and our other car is AWD. Resale on 4x2s is not great in western NC, but I had no problem getting a good price for our 2017 F350 ~60 miles away in SC. CarMax eventually sold the truck in GA.

The new 4x2s are still pretty tall trucks. Im 6-7, and its still a bit of a climb for me to hop into the cab. The side running boards are handy, And the tailgate step is a must-have, IMHO.

Are you looking at the 6.2 engine? Elevation in your area may takes its toll on performance when loaded. If yes on the 6.2, then get the 4.30 axle ratio.

You might also consider the camper package. It doesnt add cargo capacity, but it does add an auxiliary leaf to the rear spring packs. It also adds a rear sway bar and stiffer front springs; the latter might be a trade off.

Finally, test driving an F350 vs a similarly equipped F250 might be worthwhile.

Best of luck!
Jim / crewzer

Old 10-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Clubwagon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Clubwagon View Post
In another thread I said I "settled for the 4wd". I really have no need for a 4wd. My previous truck was a 2wd F350 CCLB 6.0 PSD. I use the trucks to tow on the interstate mostly. Never really go offroad and don't drive them in snow.

When shopping for an F250 CCSB 6.7 I found virtually none in inventory. When I checked resale it was obvious that the 4wd would up the value by as much or more than the cost. So I got an FX4 Lariat.
Oh, another interesting data point: On a cross country tow last month, a duplicate of the trip I made on which I bought the truck, I stopped in to the dealer where I traded my 2wd F350 6.0 on my current '17 FX4. The dealer still had my trade in 2wd truck. I asked him about it and he said there just was no market for 2wd trucks in Omaha and he was arranging to have it sent to auction somewhere south of there.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:08 PM
MarkNix
New User
Originally Posted by SDcrewzer View Post
To the OP:

Were in the same general age bracket. Im on my fifth truck (the 86 Suburban and the 97 F150 are not listed below), and theyve all been 4x2s with LS or EL diffs. Ive gotten stuck once in 30+ years, and it was my own stupid fault.

Like you, Im retired and our other car is AWD. Resale on 4x2s is not great in western NC, but I had no problem getting a good price for our 2017 F350 ~60 miles away in SC. CarMax eventually sold the truck in GA.

The new 4x2s are still pretty tall trucks. Im 6-7, and its still a bit of a climb for me to hop into the cab. The side running boards are handy, And the tailgate step is a must-have, IMHO.

Are you looking at the 6.2 engine? Elevation in your area may takes its toll on performance when loaded. If yes on the 6.2, then get the 4.30 axle ratio.

You might also consider the camper package. It doesnt add cargo capacity, but it does add an auxiliary leaf to the rear spring packs. It also adds a rear sway bar and stiffer front springs; the latter might be a trade off.

Finally, test driving an F350 vs a similarly equipped F250 might be worthwhile.

Best of luck!
Jim / crewzer

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting the diesel engine. This will be to pull a 5th wheel, so I need the torque

Old 10-11-2018, 04:10 PM
MarkNix
New User
Originally Posted by scottscott View Post
I'm curious... What is the price difference between a 2 & 4 wheel drive, identical trucks otherwise.
I'll let you know as soon as I crunch the numbers

Old 10-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Tranz zam
Senior User
Tranz zam is starting off with a positive reputation.
There's no way I'd buy a 2wd truck unless I was building a street truck that was only being driven in the summer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.