1948 Ford Truck Horn - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 Ford Truck Horn

Old 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM
pezsox
Senior User
pezsox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pezsox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
1948 Ford Truck Horn

I am switching my truck over to 12 V, and had a question about the horn. My wiring loom has one wire to the horn, but my horn has two wires coming out of it. It is a stock horn. Can one of you let me know if the yellow is power and the white is ground, or is the white power, and the yellow ground? Or is there something I have to hook up differently since Iím switching it to 12 V?

Old 10-11-2018, 12:48 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold
It will work wired either way, but the dark (blue) wire on the right goes to the horn button (ground) and the yellow wire on the left goes to the power source.
Mark

Old 10-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
What Mark says is accurate. The horn motor and body are isolated from grounds. Your horn will sound different on 12 volts too.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
That looks different from the horns I have seen on Bonus Built trucks. Is it the early style that mounted in front of the radiator? The coil is very different. The condenser (inductor?) mounted across the points is interesting too.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:44 PM
pezsox
Senior User
pezsox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.pezsox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
so the white wire gets attached to the wire that comes down thru my steering column and the yellow goes to? sorry a little confused.

What I did to test the horn... I hooked up my white wire to the locking nut (grounding it) and attached my yellow wire to a battery to test. Man was it loud, but it worked. Just not sure how the wiring and button work with a horn. I just wanted to see if it was even working. Yes the 12V made it loud, but I just touched it for a few seconds.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:45 PM
pezsox
Senior User
yes it mounts on the firewall in front of the radiator

Old 10-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Mixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud ofMixer man has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by pezsox View Post
so the white wire gets attached to the wire that comes down thru my steering column and the yellow goes to? sorry a little confused.

What I did to test the horn... I hooked up my white wire to the locking nut (grounding it) and attached my yellow wire to a battery to test. Man was it loud, but it worked. Just not sure how the wiring and button work with a horn. I just wanted to see if it was even working. Yes the 12V made it loud, but I just touched it for a few seconds.
The wire that comes down through the steering column from the horn button is a ground wire. The horn button completes the grounding circuit when it is pressed. The other wire (whichever you choose doesn't matter) is supposed to be hot at all times (I believe that is required by law).

Old 10-12-2018, 04:54 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Originally Posted by pezsox View Post
yes it mounts on the firewall in front of the radiator
Whoa! I can't wrap my head around that.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Mixer man
Journeyman Apprentice
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
The condenser (inductor?) mounted across the points is interesting too.
I believe that was to prevent the radio from "beeping" too. AM radios of the day needed all the help they could get.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:46 PM
pezsox
Senior User
Oops Sorry, meant to say it mounts on the inside fender wall in front of the radiator. Not firewall.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Mixer man View Post
I believe that was to prevent the radio from "beeping" too. AM radios of the day needed all the help they could get.
I don't doubt it also keeps the horn's points from pitting just like an ignition condenser protects the ignition points..

Old 10-14-2018, 10:05 PM
pezsox
Senior User
Does anyone have a pic of how the disk, wire, insulator are installed on the horn button side. I have seen conflicting pics. Are the prongs under or over the insulator or ????

Old 10-14-2018, 10:10 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold
You have it in the correct position in the last pic, just upside down. That piece is the spring for the horn button.
Mark

Old 10-14-2018, 10:18 PM
pezsox
Senior User
So some side up or dome side down?

Old 10-14-2018, 10:28 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
Dome goes down. It holds the horn button up until you press it, then the outside edge touches the copper piece underneath and completes the horn circuit.
Mark

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.