Buying stock rims - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Buying stock rims

Old 10-11-2018, 10:42 AM
Abell34
New User
Abell34 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Buying stock rims

As i priced the truck i drove yesterday i asked the dealer what it would cost for me to get an "extra" set of identical rims with the purchase. I like to run mt tires through the hunting season and then switch to a mild at tire for the spring and summer months to conserve tread. They qouted me 730 dollars per rim for the 18in stock xlt wheels. Thats rim no tire. I couldnt belive thats what they charged for a rim. No wonder the truck cost 50k+. After market wheels can be had for under a hundred bucks. I guess if i do buy it ill have to go aftermarket i just kind of liked the factory look.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 AM
pgordon888
Urban Cowboy User
pgordon888 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Plenty of very cheap factory take offs to be found online. Many aftermarket wheel tire shops take lightly used oem wheel tire sets as trade for pennies relative new retail cost and are willing to make killer deals.

That being said wouldn't you rather have a much different looking / more aggressive aftermarket set of rims and tires for a 2nd set?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Carnac22
Junior User
Carnac22 is starting off with a positive reputation.
There are lots of new take-off OEM rims around.

I have done this with several Corvettes - wanted to have some track tires and the factory rims are reasonably light and very strong. Cost from GM was over $500 a rim, found lots on forums, ebay, Craigslist for about $100 per rim. I have two extra sets.

Just look around a bit - all those lifted trucks with big rims and tires have OEM rims sitting around behind the garage - you should be able to find a set for a good price.

Jim

Old 10-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Thenewboss
Elder User
Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.Thenewboss has a good reputation on FTE.
I got a set of 2016 OEM takeoffs for $500 on Craig's List. That includes tires and a full size spare. Be mindful of your rear axel when buying take offs.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:07 AM
bobv60
Posting Guru
bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.
I bet you can find a set easily on you local craigslist.
I have found for the most part aftermarket wheels are junk. The finish never lasts.
the other thing to br careful about is the aftermarket wheels are often LUG centric. Ford uses HUB centric wheels. The lug centric wheels put ALL the load on the studs, insted of some load going onto the hub, like it is designed.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to beholdford390gashog is a splendid one to behold
They are plentiful on Craigslist and offer up.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM
pgordon888
Urban Cowboy User
pgordon888 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by bobv60 View Post
I bet you can find a set easily on you local craigslist.
I have found for the most part aftermarket wheels are junk. The finish never lasts.
the other thing to br careful about is the aftermarket wheels are often LUG centric. Ford uses HUB centric wheels. The lug centric wheels put ALL the load on the studs, insted of some load going onto the hub, like it is designed.
I have not found the Ford chrome plating wheel finish to be very durable in the past but the painted finish on the Lariat and down trims seem to hold up well.

In terms of aftermarket rims, yes there is bunch of crap out there and you need to go with quality hubcentric wheels. I have forged aftermarket rims on my GTR that have held up for 5 years really well with plenty of track abuse and 1000 hp pulls. I didn't want to spring for forged wheels on my F350 so jury is out whether the Grid hubcentric cast wheels I picked up will hold up although they have worked great for the 6 weeks or so they have been on my truck.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Abell34
New User
Yep i will be hitting up craigslist should i buy the truck. It just blew me away what they charge for wheels. They even have a core charge according to the shop guy.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:09 PM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
LiquidSteam is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Funny cause I have had a set of 18 inch perfect condition xlt wheels on craigslist for months with no bites. I have been debating just getting snow tires for them so save my MT tires over the winter.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:18 PM
HST
Senior User
HST is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yea that is crazy. I bought some new 2019 take offs (black and silver machined alloys w/ TPMS sensors) with 500 miles on them for $500.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Abell34
New User
Originally Posted by LiquidSteam View Post
Funny cause I have had a set of 18 inch perfect condition xlt wheels on craigslist for months with no bites. I have been debating just getting snow tires for them so save my MT tires over the winter.
if i end up ordering or buying one of these trucks in the next few weeks i will put the word out on the forum. I kind of like the idea of keeping the stock wheels.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:53 PM
XI_32
New User
XI_32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Craiglist is your friend OP. Search for F350 rims and you will see people trying to sell their takeoffs. For example, I searched on Craigslist Houston and saw original Ford 20" wheels and tires for $1000-$1500 and saw original Ford 20" rims only for $600. Search your city or the nearest city/location that buys a lot of trucks.
I kind of wonder about this. Is it cheaper to just buy takeoffs whenever you need new F350 tires?

Old 10-11-2018, 05:03 PM
disker
Junior User
disker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just ordered a set of like new Lariet rims for my XLT on ebay from BTI wheels in Salt Lake. $495.00 for the 4 with hub caps and free shipping. Have not got them yet but the pictures looked very nice---especially just for snow wheels.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Section179
Senior User
Section179 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I bought 4 on eBay brand new takeoffs without tires for $700. Putting snows on the stockers..

Old 10-11-2018, 10:04 PM
KCRebel
Freshman User
KCRebel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've got a set of 20" Polished aluminum Platinum rims with the Michelin tires for sale as well. They have 1800 miles on them. I've got them listed for $1500 on Craigslist locally. I would entertain offers. I have seen many sets for sale with much higher mileage for same dollars. I was given the same $ quote per rim as well when I called Ford to find out what the tires/rims were worth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.