Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ford leads; others follow

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 11:44 AM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Birdhunter1
What more could a truck possibly need to do actual truck stuff that an XLT wouldn't be over the top in comfort for? I've rode in the higher trims level trucks and the leather wasn't all that great, now granted the heated seats would be nice on the coldest of days but I'm 38 with good padding and good circulation and typically if its that cold I'm probably dressing in layers anyway.

My 302A XLT has heated seats and they even are programmed to come on with the remote start. I'm a little older than your 38 and I quite appreciate it on the cold mornings we have been having.

With that said, I agree with you Other than leather, I can't name one thing that my current XLT doesn't have that I would want/need.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
I never knew the seats warm up with remote start, do I have to have it on before turning it off and then remote start it? It's never done that before.

I agree with the others, the XLT is incredibly well-equipped. I don't care much for the gadgets, I had a new 2008 Benz C300 with a DVD player and tech gimmicks (strangely, no back-up camera). The novelty wore off within a few months and I replaced it with a 2012 F-150. Since then, I've never gone back. The German makers (i.e., Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz) can add in what they call "innovative" but it's just gimmicky.

I like how Ford put a lot of thought into their interiors, the little hole for me to stick my USB cable through with the center console storage and the 110V plug for the back seats. I've had one recharge his phone with the plug, he forgot his car charger. The LED lights in the bed are a nice touch. I like the back seat folding up for extra space. Recently, I drove a company car for a week since I was driving all over to sites and fought with my boss because I wanted to go back to my truck but wasn't allowed to.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:56 AM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Originally Posted by Wiggums
I never knew the seats warm up with remote start, do I have to have it on before turning it off and then remote start it? It's never done that before.

Go under advanced settings in the dash display and you should be able to set your HVAC and seat heaters to auto on with the remote start. Mine was set up that way on delivery, but I'm sure I've seen the menu screen where you can turn it from manual to auto while toggling through the screens.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
I wasn't thinking at all here.. I'm in southern California and it's never snowed here so it never went on. The HVAC goes on without a hitch though with the air conditioner cooling everything.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 PM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
I wasn't thinking at all here.. I'm in southern California and it's never snowed here so it never went on. The HVAC goes on without a hitch though with the air conditioner cooling everything.

Well, that would explain it. Bring it over here to the north east and I'm sure they will work perfectly.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:46 PM
Montana300
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With respect to the King Ranch, I agree. I was out hunting this past weekend, drove my F150 XLT (of course) but also got to ride in a cousin’s F150 KR. Now, don’t get me wrong, that KR is nice... but at one point driving my truck down a two-track I hit a rock with my aftermarket nerf bar that bent it upwards considerably on near the driver’s door. All I could think was “thank goodness we didn’t do that in the KR, with it’s fancy deployable running boards”. I might have to shell out for a couple new brackets, if I can’t bend mine back right, as opposed to a couple thousand for the fancy ones. There are a few things I wish I had in my XLT, all of which I could have gotten with 302A had I been so inclined (and will do next time).

As for the Ranger, I think it will be a modest success. My dad only bought an F150 because he needed a new truck before the new Ranger arrived. I personally don’t think the economics of a mid size truck add up vs a full size half ton, but then I don’t have to worry about tight parking spaces. Now, my brother just bought a new Tacoma... that’s a whole different market that I don’t think the Ranger will even touch.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:18 AM
yellowboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will say the one thing Ford has I like is the keypad on the door. I use it all the time when my keys are in the house and I need to enter the vehicle. I don't know of any other manufacturer that has it ???

Old 10-21-2018, 08:22 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
That is so true! I just looked at Dodge and Chevy trucks last weekend to see if the 2019's were any better.. the lack of keypads. I use it all the time whenever I need to leave my truck for an extended period of time such as airports. I hide the key inside my truck and use the keypad when I come back. So convenient!

Old 10-21-2018, 10:11 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
I think electric will work well in urban areas where most travel distances are short. I see no future for it in rural areas until ranges can be drastically increased and recharge times can be drastically shortened.

Ideally, all options will be offered on an open market, with no subsidies, so consumers can choose what will serve them best. I don’t think mandates are a good idea. Some European countries are on that track.

Ford should build electric trucks and offer them for sale to the general public. Then the end user can put their money where they see fit.

As far as Ford leading, the stock prices are shockingly low. One wrong move on Ford’s part right now could result in a major restructuring and the possibility of putting themselves in a takeover situation. Ford needs to fix itself right now with no messing around. With stock prices in the $8 range, in this economy, earning record profits, it’s time for some serious action.
I live in a rural area. A battery is useless for me. Alot of people dont realize when you live in a rural area, Electricity is more expensive since you buy your electricity through a Co op.......

Old 10-21-2018, 12:17 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,709 Posts
That is so true! I just looked at Dodge and Chevy trucks last weekend to see if the 2019's were any better.. the lack of keypads. I use it all the time whenever I need to leave my truck for an extended period of time such as airports. I hide the key inside my truck and use the keypad when I come back. So convenient!
Agreed. I hate carrying keys, so I leave the fob in my console often, and lock it in the truck. I'm glad Ford has kept this feature through the years.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:49 PM
Midnightmoon
Tuned

I never thought that I would like the keypad as much as I do. It is used all of the time and I find myself missing it when I'm using one of my other trucks.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:14 PM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenleg
I live in a rural area. A battery is useless for me. Alot of people dont realize when you live in a rural area, Electricity is more expensive since you buy your electricity through a Co op.......
Not just that. Distances travelled are greater and rural trucks are usually being worked and not driven empty. The range on a battery charge won’t work. Even a hybrid would be severely hobbled once the battery power was depleted and the gas engine had to take over in a towing or hauling situation.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:47 AM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE

Agreed. I hate carrying keys, so I leave the fob in my console often, and lock it in the truck. I'm glad Ford has kept this feature through the years.

I have not once used the keypad. I don't even have a clue as to the code.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:04 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,363 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by CR172
I have not once used the keypad. I don't even have a clue as to the code.

The dealer should have given you a plastic card with the code on it. If you don't have it, contact them and they should be able to give it to you.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:56 PM
CR172
Fleet Mechanic
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE

The dealer should have given you a plastic card with the code on it. If you don't have it, contact them and they should be able to give it to you.
Oh I have the card, somewhere. I've just never used it or changed the factory code. I have a key and a fob. No need for the keypad. No need to lock my vehicles while at home. Heck, half the time I leave the keys in it.....

Quick Reply: Ford leads; others follow