High-flotation/balloon tires for boat trailer? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

High-flotation/balloon tires for boat trailer?

Old 10-10-2018, 11:34 AM
KC8QVO
Posting Guru
KC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to allKC8QVO is a name known to all
High-flotation/balloon tires for boat trailer?

Does anyone have any ideas for getting larger diameter high flotation tires on a small boat trailer?

I was dropping one of my boats in to a few remote lakes last week and was thinking there should be a better way...

What comes to mind are the big balloon tires on beach carts/trailers. Though, I need something that can go down the road (trails and asphalt).

Some snowmobile trailers have what appear to be golf cart wheels/tires. Those are more than twice as wide as what the trailer I was using have. I think I need something bigger and more of a balloon. Some of the knobby ATV tires are getting closer, but they still are smaller diameter tires than what I am imagining. The beach tire types may be too much of a "balloon" - they surely don't look like they can go down the road.

What I'm after is to keep the trailer axle out of the muck and be able to back it over soft marshy shorelines. One place I dropped in was that at the waters' edge combined with larger rocks (canadian shield rock, not great lakes rocky beach) going down to the lake. I dragged the frame over the rocks.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:48 PM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
Could you use a wider passenger car tire? I know some of the fancy wake boats come with wide low profile tires, and I'm sure they do it for looks only, but . . . . . What bolt pattern is your trailer, and current wheel and tire size?

Old 10-13-2018, 07:27 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold1979 Ford is a splendid one to behold
What size tires are on the trailer now? I'd look at a wide light truck tire, if it is a 15" rim on it. My reasoning for light truck tire is a stiffer sidewall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.