2005 F250 6.8L V10 - Build Thread - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

2005 F250 6.8L V10 - Build Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:52 PM
super 6.8
Elder User
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
I've done twice on my truck and 8 quarts is exactly what you need along with the toilet paper filter. It's a very easy job.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:01 PM
CousinJordo
Senior User
CousinJordo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by super 6.8 View Post
I've done twice on my truck and 8 quarts is exactly what you need along with the toilet paper filter. It's a very easy job.
Did you reuse the gasket or replace with permatex?

Old 12-11-2018, 09:04 PM
eddienelson
Senior User
eddienelson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by CousinJordo View Post
As I'd stated before, I removed my headers from my truck.

Yes, I am mad at myself about spending the money only to undo it all. Such is life.

Im drunk and I missed the header part. Why did you pull them off?

Old 12-11-2018, 09:12 PM
CousinJordo
Senior User
Originally Posted by eddienelson View Post
Im drunk and I missed the header part. Why did you pull them off?
They never sealed well around cylinder 1 and 2 despite torquing in the correct order, loosening, retorquing, yada yada. It was the gaskets. JBA gaskets just donít seem to compare to the OEM.

We have ave a new baby and I was tired of working on my truck until midnight every night after he went down, so I just reinstalled stainless studs and OEM manifolds and gaskets. Headers are perfectly flat, checked with a starret. I couldíve reinstalled them with some FelPros but I just didnít want to chance another leak and having to do it again. And the 3V manifolds are a great design, so it just wasnít worth it in the end.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:27 PM
eddienelson
Senior User

They never sealed well around cylinder 1 and 2 despite torquing in the correct order, loosening, retorquing, yada yada. It was the gaskets. JBA gaskets just donít seem to compare to the OEM.

We have ave a new baby and I was tired of working on my truck until midnight every night after he went down, so I just reinstalled stainless studs and OEM manifolds and gaskets. Headers are perfectly flat, checked with a starret. I couldíve reinstalled them with some FelPros but I just didnít want to chance another leak and having to do it again. And the 3V manifolds are a great design, so it just wasnít worth it in the end.
Sorry to hear that. Im glad you got it going though. If I was you Id post them and someone will buy them from you.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:28 PM
CousinJordo
Senior User
Originally Posted by eddienelson View Post
Sorry to hear that. Im glad you got it going though. If I was you Id post them and someone will buy them from you.
Theyve been in marketplace for a week or so. No bites.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:32 PM
eddienelson
Senior User

Theyve been in marketplace for a week or so. No bites.
Its Christmas time. Give it time my friend. The right person will come along soon enough.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:49 PM
wizkid00104
Postmaster
wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.wizkid00104 has a great reputation on FTE.
Anyone have any practical advice regarding trans fluid change? Considering I donít know history before 120k mark, but fluid looks great and no symptoms, Iím hesitant to do a full flush at the risk of causing an issue to pop up.

Im thinking of just dropping pan, changing filter and inline filter element, and adding back new fluid to replace the amount that drained. This has always been my approach on all my vehicles.

Thoughts?
I have done this method before but I would drain and refill the pan 2-3 times total with a short run in between. I would replace the total volume plus 2 quarts. The idea is pump new fluid in for 30 seconds to a minute and then drain the pan again to get more old fluid out.

There is a documented procedure out for the 4R100 although you have the 5R110. Pull the cooling return line off at the trans and pump the volume of the pan out. Refill the pan, and repeat this until you have removed the volume of the trans. The idea is the old fluid is dark and the new is bright red. Once the red comes out, you have completed the flush. Again, i am not sure if this technique works on the 5R110. Here is an article on it: 2004 F250 5.4L Transmission Flush

Old 12-12-2018, 01:32 AM
super 6.8
Elder User
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.

Did you reuse the gasket or replace with permatex?
The pan has a drain plug.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:52 PM
CousinJordo
Senior User
The pan has a drain plug.
True...but that prevents you from changing the pan filter. I planned on dropping to pan to change both the pan and inline filters.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:36 PM
super 6.8
Elder User

True...but that prevents you from changing the pan filter. I planned on dropping to pan to change both the pan and inline filters.
I believe the 2007 like mine only has a screen inside the pan that is not a serviceable item. You might look into it.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation

Thanks!

i assume it will still require the same amount of fluid and friction mod?
Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I used Royal Purple fluid which included the friction modifier. I didn't need to add any more modifier.

Anyone have any practical advice regarding trans fluid change? Considering I donít know history before 120k mark, but fluid looks great and no symptoms, Iím hesitant to do a full flush at the risk of causing an issue to pop up.

Im thinking of just dropping pan, changing filter and inline filter element, and adding back new fluid to replace the amount that drained. This has always been my approach on all my vehicles.

Thoughts?
08+ pan with newer style filter.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1358699-removed-stock-6-0-transmission-pan-installed-2008-6-4-trans-pan-and-ft-180-filter-2.html

I wonder if the Remflex gaskets would have been better. I have a set of Remflex gaskets and Doug Thorley headers waiting for install and financial modivation.

I believe the 2007 like mine only has a screen inside the pan that is not a serviceable item. You might look into it.
AFAIK the toilet paper filter doesn't capture more than 10%. Upgrading to the 08+ filter would be the far better option.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:35 PM
super 6.8
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
AFAIK the toilet paper filter doesn't capture more than 10%. Upgrading to the 08+ filter would be the far better option.
You might me right but that toilet paper roll is extremely dense. It has to filter better than 10%.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:36 AM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
You might me right but that toilet paper roll is extremely dense. It has to filter better than 10%.
The link I provided shows information posted by Mark Kovalsky FTE's resident transmission guru. I tend to trust what he's saying, especially with his background regarding the 4R100 and 5R110.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:15 AM
CousinJordo
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1358699-removed-stock-6-0-transmission-pan-installed-2008-6-4-trans-pan-and-ft-180-filter-2.html

Thanks. This is one of the items on my list, and I would really like to do it. Just a few questions regarding this process, since it seems the fluid capacity changes slightly (based on Mark Kovalsky and Money-Pit posts).

1. Once you drop pan and inline, measure fluid, replace filters and pan, and refill with measured amount...is it best to let idle and shift through all gears (sitting still)?
2. I would then check trans fluid dipstick while running at operating temp.
3. If necessary, add more.

Is this correct?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.